“Mediocre Marriott”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Criticism
1)Internet Access: Not providing free wireless in this day and age is simply nickel-and-diming in my opinion. The cost of broadcasting a wireless signal is really not that great and even if you are to use the excuse that it does cost a lot, $10 per day (per guest) is WAY over.
2)Drinks at The Vue: A group of us had drinks the night we arrived. We each had 2-3 drinks and every one of them could have been served to a 9-year old (there is more alcohol in cough syrup)!
3)Services: Overall the valet service was tolerable but it seemed clear to us that this was not a well run operation (inexperienced). If you are to charge for mediocre service like this I’d say the cost needs to be dropped a bit. But again, tolerable.

Praise
1)The Pool Area: Drinks by the pool were a nice mix (not too strong and not like a virgin drink (a la “The Vue”)). Basically just the way they are supposed to taste. The service by the pool was great, the food good and the area clean and well kept up.
2)Breakfast Buffet: Great omelets, nice selection of foods and alternatives. The cost is average enough for hotel buffets.
3)Housekeeping: great, thorough and consistent!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank BoBo1000

Reviewed 27 June 2007

Reading some of the reviews, I wasn't 100% sold but booked due to location. The "three stars" also worried me, I know I am high maintenance and felt that was not a great sign as we have been fortunate enough to stay at many 4-star plus places. This is a high 3-star hotel easily. The rooms were bigger than expected, the service was absolutely better than expected, and so were the food and drink. In other words, we were pleasantly surprised by everything!

The room service food was very good, prompt, hot. We sat on the upper deck one day and watched the harbor -- very relaxing! The food was good, perhaps a little fancier than my 9 year old could appreciate, but very good for adults. The wait staff was attentive and helpful.

The valet staff was superb and efficient, we were very pleased with them. The Concierge was extremely helpful and pleasant. The front desk staff was really nice to us, and frankly, they took good care of us, I think above the call of duty. This staff was one of the best we have experienced lately, far better than some "better" resorts we have stayed at -- everyone said hello, asked if you needed anything, etc. The car was ready and waiting, and they got us out in far better time than ever when we were heading to the airport.

We had a pool view room, not sure it was worth any extra money except that I could see some blue water. On the potential downside, depending on your party, there was music playing until after 11 p.m. Since it was music we liked, we had no complaint and kept our sliding door open. When the sliding door was closed, the music was too muted to matter at all. The pool we saw was just rectangular, no special slides or anything...but it looked like people had fun relaxing by it. It was never too loud or obnoxious.

There were weddings during our stay, but nothing interferred with us. Those couples will have fantastic pictures because it has a beautiful location. The place is very popular with locals, and we found many who stayed there also for a break! You can walk down the hill to the harbor for lots of restaurants and some shopping, but it is harder uphill! Convenient location to 5 Freeway, right off PCH. The coffee shop was high priced, but it was good. If we had more time, we would have found local grocery store for pop and water.

I can't wait to have an opportunity to get back there, I will happily book there next year. I would get an oceanview room if you can justify it, but you're above the ocean on a cliff...great view but you're not walking on the sand without a hike down the hill.

We had a great stay and left sorry to go.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank highmaintenance_7
Reviewed 19 June 2007

We stayed at this hotel from 06/08/07 - 06/14/07. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The staff very friendly. If you make eye contact with anyone that works there they will ask you if you're having a good stay or how you're doing. I was impressed. The attention to detail is wonderful...fresh juice and water with strawberries floating are available in the lobby during the day.

The hotel is a five minute walk down hill from the harbor. There, you will find many activities, restaurants and bars.

Dana Point is a fun, cozy town that is centrally located between Los Angeles and San Diego.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2007

My husband and I stayed three nights in March, somewhat unexpectedly but the hotel was not even close to full and we got a good rate ($214, which seems reasonable to me for southern California).

The hotel location is good--set up on a hill just off the ocean (on the ocean side of the highway)--and the local area is charming. Just a couple miles from San Juan Capistrano, which is adorable, and not far from Newport and Laguna Beach, both of which had great shopping, strolling and dining choices. There are also some good seafood restaurants at the bottom of the hill. However, the area is not highly walkable unless you are a dedicated walker. We are, but we still took the car everywhere. Guess that is the California way anyhow.

The property is attractive--the exterior has a Victorian look but not overly Disneyesque--and the rooms are large. There is a comfortable chair and hassock, with a well-placed lamp for reading, and the bedding is terrific. Did not feel cramped in the room at all.

My primary criticism is that the walls are too thin. For a property called a "resort," I really prefer a little more privacy from other guests. You can clearly hear people in the hallway and in the adjoining rooms (all kinds of noises, including conversation, nose-blowing, etc.--not very restful). Soundproofing insulation is not that expensive, I don't understand why hotels cheap out on this.

My minor criticism is that it seems like nickel-and-diming to have to pay for parking when the parking garage is half empty. I can understand that perhaps in high season they need to disincent people bringing cars, but there really weren't many guests. That said, the garage is conveniently located and better than having one's car in a distant uncovered lot.

Did not eat at the hotel, there were too many attractive options outside.

Overall it was decent value for $200 a night in California for a couple nights (I would probably not be inclined to spend an entire week there), but I'm not sure it really meets a strict definition of a resort. If they called it just a hotel, it meets expectations. Then again, you're not paying resort prices at $200 a night. Maybe a little identity crisis for Marriott to solve . . .

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie E
Reviewed 17 June 2007

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Beautiful spacious grounds in a good location. Room was nice, great bed and furnishings. I would recommend it to anyone traveling in this area.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2007

This hotel worked out fine for our family of three. It was clean and roomy. We had an ocean front room-only two problems, hazy mornings in April and there are some beautiful trees that block a lot of the view. For parking, we paid the same fee as parking yourself (the tipping difference paid for itself with the convenience). I would have to say that they were top notch valet at the time of our stay. The biggest surprise to me was how great the SPA was! I went twice, very relaxing place. I had the best massage and facial- two very good therapists! Believe the introduction notes to the SPA- the showers are wonderful!

The best restaurant we found was Savannah Steak and Chop House, 32441 Golden Lantern Road. Great food and wine list!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank The-Georgia-Longs
Reviewed 30 April 2007

Me and my husband stayed here during New Year's Eve weekend 2006 and we really enjoyed our stay. The self parking lot was very convenient, though since the hotel really didn't seem busy, it took a while before a front desk agent came out and was able to check us in. Our room was very nice and comfortable, and with a nice view, as well. We did not eat at the hotel nor did we use the pool. We walked around the hotel a bit, and we could tell that it was definitely nowhere near to being sold out. It was very quiet and there were no events taking place. On a side note, some of the meeting rooms had patios, so this would definitely be a nice place to book a meeting. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!