“bad bad bad”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I made these reservations on June 23rd 2007.We arrived at the hotel on August 24th at 415pm and our reservation was complety and utterly messed up!I called on our way to the hotel about an hour out she informed me the room swould be ready in about a half hour,our rooms where not ready we had to wait in the lobby for an hour with 5 kids(not a good time)We needed our rooms next to each other didnt happen (with the exception of two of the rooms which apparently is why we had to wait until you could find those rooms)wanted a pool view didnt happen.Your manager on duty when we got their was rude and short.not a happy customer.and i have to agree not having free internet isnt right i signed on at 7pm and went to sign on the next day at 2pm it informed me that for 19.95 i paid for 12pm to 12pm

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa

Reviewed 12 August 2007

Traveled and stayed at this hotel between 8/3-8/5. Overall I have to say my wife and I had a pleasant experience, but not over the top as this hotel somehow managed to gain a 4 star rating from AAA. At best I would give this hotel a 3. Why do I say this? Well, for starters this hotel has excellent room, food and valet service. We ordered room service several times and it was at our door within 20-30 minutes (all the food was hot and very good). When I would call to have my Porsche brought up, it was there in 5 minutes, the valets run, not walk to your car to make sure it is there when you walk out the front lobby entrance. The grounds are also very well taken care of. Although the maintenance crews were on staff at 8 AM on Saturday morning with their lawnmowers running. We did find some trash lingering outside of our first floor patio in the landscaping, but one call to the front desk and it was picked up with 4 hrs. Now for the cons, like everyone else you will incur a $22 parking charge weather you valet or choose to park your car in the garage. Thankfully the front desk screwed this up and only charged us for 1 night, not 3 (I wasn't complaining). For the price, I feel this hotel could be worth it although I feel I didn't get my moneys worth. The beds are extremely comfortable and the room well taken care of. I might of changed my opinion and gave this hotel a 4 star ratting if it wasn't for the some of the details (wood visibly rotting around floor base in room, etc.). We did have a couples spa treatment, which I highly recommend, they accommodations are spectacular and the service is first rate!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2007

This hotel is great! Everyone, from the manager to the pool attendants, seems to genuinely care about their guests and their guest’s experience. The resort image of the hotel was reinforced when we heard the pool-side band while drinking our frozen drinks under sunny skies with a slight ocean breeze. We loved the room décor and the patio overlooking the ocean. The beds were very comfortable with first rate sheets and comforters. The only downside was the noise from the corridors and the room above us, but it wasn't significant to keep us from getting to sleep on time or from taking midday naps. This was my favorite Marriott and we'll definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank enjoyingtheride
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I LOVED this hotel! Went here for a romantic weekend getaway for my birthday and it was wonderful. Great ocean view, delicious restaurant, nice staff, close to a wonderful park and the marina, incredible spa (highly recommend the couples massage)!

Definitely suggest getting an ocean view room. When we checked in we were given a pool view room, which was VERY noisy -- from the 3rd floor we could hear everyone out at the pool, plus we didn't have a balcony. We asked to have our room changed and they happily moved us to an ocean view room with a balcony. It was wonderful to sleep with the door open and hear the ocean.

The Sunday brunch is definitely worth it.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ciwrightson
Reviewed 18 July 2007

My family of four, icluding a 7-year-old and a 9-year-old, stayed here for a three-day weekend. We didn't have any agenda for the trip and booked a room based on what we read on TripAdvisor. What we experienced was near-perfection in a hotel property and hotel management.

We booked a regular room which had two double beds, and upon check-in we were happy to find the roll-away that we had requested on-line already in our room. ($15/day for roll-away) The room itself was spotless with no carpet stains, no loose bathroom fixtures, and even the shower was mildew-free, which seems like a rarity in hotels.

The hotel sits up on a bluff above the harbor, which is about a 10-minute walk/climb. There is a nice-looking beach that we did not go to but looked to be about a 15-minute walk away. Adjacent to the harbor is the Oceanic Institue which provides lots of hands-on activities for children (touch the sea stars, guide an underwater camera, etc.) for a small fee. The hotel itself has two good-sized pools that were never crowded, and we were offered complimentary fresh pineapple and samples of a smoothie drink.

There were some minor negatives as there always seem to be with a hotel stay. We were charged for parking when this was to be included in our booking (corrected at check-out), and I didn't think the food at the Vue restaurant was all that good (wish hotels would focus on a smaller selection of good foods rather than trying to please everyone with a vast selection).

I have to particularly compliment the staff on being attentive and approachable. This hotel has achieved something that seems rare to find: a hotel experience that works for the kids yet lets the adults feel like they are staying in a nice, upscale place that satisfies them as well.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank LSBurdett
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Criticism
1)Internet Access: Not providing free wireless in this day and age is simply nickel-and-diming in my opinion. The cost of broadcasting a wireless signal is really not that great and even if you are to use the excuse that it does cost a lot, $10 per day (per guest) is WAY over.
2)Drinks at The Vue: A group of us had drinks the night we arrived. We each had 2-3 drinks and every one of them could have been served to a 9-year old (there is more alcohol in cough syrup)!
3)Services: Overall the valet service was tolerable but it seemed clear to us that this was not a well run operation (inexperienced). If you are to charge for mediocre service like this I’d say the cost needs to be dropped a bit. But again, tolerable.

Praise
1)The Pool Area: Drinks by the pool were a nice mix (not too strong and not like a virgin drink (a la “The Vue”)). Basically just the way they are supposed to taste. The service by the pool was great, the food good and the area clean and well kept up.
2)Breakfast Buffet: Great omelets, nice selection of foods and alternatives. The cost is average enough for hotel buffets.
3)Housekeeping: great, thorough and consistent!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank BoBo1000
Reviewed 27 June 2007

Reading some of the reviews, I wasn't 100% sold but booked due to location. The "three stars" also worried me, I know I am high maintenance and felt that was not a great sign as we have been fortunate enough to stay at many 4-star plus places. This is a high 3-star hotel easily. The rooms were bigger than expected, the service was absolutely better than expected, and so were the food and drink. In other words, we were pleasantly surprised by everything!

The room service food was very good, prompt, hot. We sat on the upper deck one day and watched the harbor -- very relaxing! The food was good, perhaps a little fancier than my 9 year old could appreciate, but very good for adults. The wait staff was attentive and helpful.

The valet staff was superb and efficient, we were very pleased with them. The Concierge was extremely helpful and pleasant. The front desk staff was really nice to us, and frankly, they took good care of us, I think above the call of duty. This staff was one of the best we have experienced lately, far better than some "better" resorts we have stayed at -- everyone said hello, asked if you needed anything, etc. The car was ready and waiting, and they got us out in far better time than ever when we were heading to the airport.

We had a pool view room, not sure it was worth any extra money except that I could see some blue water. On the potential downside, depending on your party, there was music playing until after 11 p.m. Since it was music we liked, we had no complaint and kept our sliding door open. When the sliding door was closed, the music was too muted to matter at all. The pool we saw was just rectangular, no special slides or anything...but it looked like people had fun relaxing by it. It was never too loud or obnoxious.

There were weddings during our stay, but nothing interferred with us. Those couples will have fantastic pictures because it has a beautiful location. The place is very popular with locals, and we found many who stayed there also for a break! You can walk down the hill to the harbor for lots of restaurants and some shopping, but it is harder uphill! Convenient location to 5 Freeway, right off PCH. The coffee shop was high priced, but it was good. If we had more time, we would have found local grocery store for pop and water.

I can't wait to have an opportunity to get back there, I will happily book there next year. I would get an oceanview room if you can justify it, but you're above the ocean on a cliff...great view but you're not walking on the sand without a hike down the hill.

We had a great stay and left sorry to go.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!