“Beach Trip”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beach Trip”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel is close to the beach,has nice views, clean rooms, great breakfast, and no parking fee! Doheny State Park is right across the street with restaurants close by. We had a wonderful stay. We will for sure be back next summer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel based on the reviews. I was extremely impressed with the service.The manager-owner Fernando was very friendly and accommodating. He warmly greeted me and allowed an early check in. The room was comfortable and clean with a partial view of the beach across the street. The property has a lot of chairs to enjoy the garden atmosphere. This stay was a much needed get-away and I was not disappointed. I would visit this hotel without reservation!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We booked many rooms at this hotel for our wedding for an outrageous price. I stopped in to see what on earth I was getting for my money and found out it was a we don't want you here attitude from the general manager named Steve. Once he appeared at the desk from some back area after we stood there alone for a few moments, I introduced myself and fiancee as the upcoming wedding party booking. He had no smile and asked what we wanted. I told him I wanted some general pricing information on how much we were saving for booking multiple rooms (I was already weighing my other options just based on how much they charge even though that would put us at a different hotel than our wedding guests and family. He was evasive for several minutes and began to get condescending. When we walked away, I still had not one answer to the general pricing info I asked about. He kept stating confidentiality and I kept saying "not for any specific booking, just in general what is the pricing for multiple rooms compared to one room." After those uncomfortable 5 mins just before we were leaving, he said "Congratulations on your wedding by the way." He however could break confidentiality and tell my guests what room I had, where it was located, and that it was the most expensive room they offer even though those people did not have my booking number or permission to ask those questions. I was angry and told him because of that I would mention that on yelp. He said snidely, "Yelp is for restaurants so you'll never be able to do that." He then called all my guests and cancelled all the rooms including mine. He told them it's because I threatened to give a bad review and was rude to him. He told one of my guests he would call everyone with a booking that weekend and ask if they were involved with our wedding and cancel them too. I'm so glad he did that because we found a FAR better hotel, the Dana Point Marina Inn, that had incredible service and easy booking, better beach access and way less noise. He saved everyone a ton of money forcing us to choose another hotel and I didn't have to put up with him at all on my wedding weekend.
This hotel is not worth the money. Some of the view has power lines across it and the highway and train are noisy. Beach access is a walk either direction to the walking bridge or crosswalk, no other way, and a walk back to actually be on the beach in front of the hotel. Small jacuzzi would probably overflow with more than 2 couples in it. But most of all, the person claiming to be the general manager (Steve) is the type that will try to ruin your wedding while being dismissive and rude. They don't need or want your money is the impression I got since they gave up thousands. Other hotels like the Dana Point Marina Inn have better prices, more friendly and helpful staff, pool and spa that will fit all your guests, more convenient and quiet locations, and will make you feel more than welcome.
On a side note, Best Western Corporate was very nice and apologized for Steve's behavior, took my complaint easily and thoroughly, and I would still use their company and hotels....Just not this one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Adam W
Phoenix
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I read the reviews and was curious if hotel was going to live up to its reviews. The reason I say that is we were traveling from Phoenix to the south Orange County area for a wedding, we stayed Friday night in Palm Springs at the Best Western Las Brisas and we were not impressed so I was skeptical. We arrived about 12:45pm and since our room was ready we were able to check in, again, we were placed on the first floor, normally I will not accept this but this hotel was very small and we actually could see the ocean from our room. Compared to our stay in Palm Springs, this Best Western was much better than the Best Western Las Brisas. Room seemed cleaner but it did have a musty smell but that can be excused as we were right across the street from the ocean. The breakfast in the morning is a nice bonus. They have waffles, eggs, sausage and other pastries. Overall, I would stay here again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Located right across from Dohney State Beach. Great location. We liked our end room #210 with patio chairs out in front of room. We had a partial view of ocean. Best breakfast where manager Fernando & wife will even make you waffles with your breakfast.We liked the parking there & size of hotel (not too large). Will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed for 4 nights, and the first night was uneventful except they changed our reservations from 2 rooms with 2 queen beds to 2 rooms with 1 king bed and called it "upgrading" us free of charge. When I complained, they promptly changed it back but the change took 15-20 minutes which added to an already long day.

The second day was the start of a miserable stay. After we finished eating the complimentary breakfast, which was average, the front desk person, aka owner, chased us down to complain about the sand/pebbles that were found in the bathroom. He proceeded to show us a small baggy of sand and pebbles. He then continued to complain about the hair that was found in the u-trap that was clogging the drain. All of this was occurring during a very chaotic scene where my 7 week old infant was crying and my 2 year old was trapped in the elevator alone with his arm stuck in the door. My husband was trying to rescue the 2 year old while the front staff/owner was complaining about the condition of the room from the day before who never stopped complaining while both kids were crying.

Needless to say, I was very distressed. My son was stuck and could have been seriously injured and all the staff/owner was worried about was sand on the floor in his bathroom.

That night my stepson and his girlfriend arrived. I promptly added them to one of the 2 rooms. The next morning the same man who complained about sand followed my stepson's girlfriend from the ice machine to the parking garage and informed her that she doesn't stay there and doesn't belong there. She told him where she was staying, and he was very apologetic but the damage was already done.

There was one more night of our stay, and I just wanted it over with. They totally ruined my vacation with their neurotic controlling ways. I would say that the staff needs to be fired but I have a feeling that they are really the owners.

P.S. They would not allow anyone to use their waffle maker for fear that their guests would make a mess of it.

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank Deborah D
Celebration, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed there 2 nights and found the room clean and the bedding new. The property is across the street from the Pacific Ocean so beach time is right there. This is a great value for anyone who wants to stay in Dana Point

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#7 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dana Point Inn-by-the-Sea? Share your experiences!