“Great value”

Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-By-The-Sea
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Great value for what you pay! Comfortable, clean rooms and very attentive staff. Location is convenient, close to the harbor, beach is across the street and parking is a plus (at the hotel and beach). Can be a little noisy with the highway and amtrak train but overall, well worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed 1 September 2014

room very clean with a view of the ocean. hotel owner very pleasant and helpful for all our needs.
hot breakfast was good, I would highly recommend this hotel , room was quiet and price was reasonable

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I had booked this stay because of the location on the Pacific coast Highway. What I did not know at the time is how amazing the set up was. The rooms are located in a way of a little " village". With a garden of plants, water fountains and soft music playing in the middle court yard. Having my room across from the 2nd floor deck- where we ate our breakfast and morning coffee, and watched the ocean being so alive. The crashing of the ocean waves for a night beverage music was relaxing. Our room was bigger than my living room at home, clean in every aspect. Leaving our room door open to invite the ocean breeze with no worries of other patrons being nosey, as everybody did the same. My 14 year old daughter was also excited about this stay, which says a lot about the new teenagers.
The owners were so inviting and pleasant. With the assistance to cook our waffles in the morning, showing us the bountifull breakfast options, were never left hungery.
I am boasting about this place as I will return for another stay, a long trip from Canada but worth it.
To the owners- another big THANK YOU and Hospitality for a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

Stayed: September 2014
Reviewed 30 August 2014

What a dreadful mistake choosing this place!

Having read the glowing reports from Trip Advisor we had really been looking forward to our stay here. I was certainly aware of the proximity of the motel to the coast highway and the rail line so had no illusions about that. Any road and rail noise did not mar our stay. But at the start the owner/managers attitude shone through. One of our children touched a small fountain in the reception area and his smile immediately turned off as he told her not to touch the fountain in a very nasty manner. No harm was done and no water displaced. But from that point on we got the gist of this VERY overpriced accommodation with draconian rules.

We had two rooms – one of which was suppose to have a ‘garden’ view but had the view of a cliff wall. The other room was very dark (and faced the seafront), when I went to open the door to the balcony & open the curtains I found I was looking straight onto the hot tub area where several people were. I felt like I was some sort of voyeur and immediate had to shut the door and close the curtains. There were people out there until 9pm when this area closed. Not what I had expected, I felt like a prisoner. Such a shame I was not able to enjoy the view I had to pay extra for.

On the plus side the room was large and clean, however in the morning we realised that our bathroom area was infested with ants. We had a bag which had previously had food in it but now contained towels and sandals. In the morning this bag was overrun with black ants. Yuck. The kitchen area in our rooms looked great,however we did not need to use it as we had NO food with us. I dread to think if we had brought food what this area would have looked like?

In the morning we went to the very small breakfast area where a reasonable looking buffet bar was set up. My husband was given a strict warning to use the clippers to handle anything. The food however was revolting. As a family we all tried a variety of things on offer. Everything was the poorest quality and inedible. I felt it was penny pinching of the managment not to provide better quality food. While sitting there 'eating' we heard another guest being told off for dragging their suitcase up the staircase.

Parking as has been mentioned by others was really tricky if you had a large car. There were spaces marked ‘compact’ however, people with the smaller cars were parking in places meant for the larger cars. I don’t blame the owners for this, but there should be a better system.

All in all a really this was a really bad choice for us – it is perhaps very difficult to put into words the ‘vibe’ or 'karma' you feel when you stay some where but combine this with very overpriced rooms (one with an ant problem),a Jekyll and Hyde manager,and the poorest quality breakfast I have ever had (ever!) Sadly I would advise this place be avoided.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CelticSpirit48
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Seeking a place that was quiet enough to relax and actually hear the ocean isn't easy, yet Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn by the Sea was exactly that place. Arriving late into the evening due to flight delays, we were welcomed warmly. The open, well cared for property showed its age with charm and the comforts of home. If we had a question, there was always someone to greet us with a smile and explore our options for what to do next. You can tell the management and staff of this hotel made a difference and really cared about those of us that chose to stay with them for a few days. Recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I accidentally booked this hotel when I meant to book the other one in the area. I'm so glad that I did! Much nicer room than the suite that my family got at the other location, closer to the beach, great view and amazing staff!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel

Been to Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-By-The-Sea? Share your experiences!