“Get The Chicken”

Stonehill Tavern , A Michael Mina Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Stonehill Tavern , A Michael Mina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 143 Restaurants in Dana Point
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Wine Bar, American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: STONEHILL TAVERN at the Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point offers modern American cuisine focusing on seasonal ingredients and elegant tavern fare with twists on home-style favorites. The menu showcases the restaurant's strong relationships with local farmers with offerings of California coastal vegetables, as well as local and seasonal seafood specialties.
San Clemente, California
“Get The Chicken”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

As I mentioned in my hotel review, the chicken was one of the best I've had. I did think the menu was somewhat limited. Normally, I'd never order chicken in a restaurant on the coast, but I'm glad I did. I'll go back just for this dish. Almost $60 for a chiken for two, but really worth it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank RandyLargent

Calabasas, California
“Poorly managed restaurant”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife, 7 year old and I had dinner here while staying at the St Regis. I would have to say it was the single worst dining experience we have ever had. The waiter dropped the ball every step of the way. From bringing drinks we didn't order in cracked glasses to not bringing our appetizers and saying he forgot was one thing but what happened next is why I'm writing this review. When I finally commented on his poor service he got offensive and scared our 7 year old to the point she started crying. I literally had to ask him to leave our table 3 times and to bring the manager to us... Real creepy guy! I let the manager know the situation and asked for another waiter to take our dessert order. We sat for the next 20 minutes with the dessert menus in hand and never had another waiter come to take our order... ended up flagged down the bus boy and got our check. The next day while checking out of the St Regis we found out the restaurant added another $140 tip to our bill. That's fraud where I come from. I highly recommend you stay away from this place. There are so many better choices!

• Visited July 2013
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Amazing...”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

A little slow in the beginning....and then the GM stepped in to attend to us..A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE..........We were about to get up and leave when after 15 min no contact beyond would you like still or sparkling( but never saw the water)....Unusual service..
BUT like I said the Gm David Borowik took charge and changed our minds forever about the Michael Mina restaurant ..Amazing food...
Thank you David..
Felt bad the whole tip had to go to the waiter who we NEVER ever saw...but hey..thats how its done...
Yes Please GO...The food and atmosphere is well worth it...

• Visited July 2013
Lake Tahoe
“Ahi Tartare!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Fantastic food and service. Get the Ahi tartare. It's Michael's original recipe from the original Aqua in SF. Still as good as it was in the day. Pretty much a SF legend along with the lobster pot pie. Thanks for the memories.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank SPGwanderlust
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Excellent dining experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We came to Michael Mina's restaurant during our honeymoon stay at the St. Regis for our extravagant dinner of the vacation. We weren't disappointed. We each started with one of their signature cocktails, each crafted carefully at the bar. Both were delicious.

We each then settled on the tasting menu, a 5-course affair. However, after you add in all of the little amuse bouches and little tasters they throw at you before the first course arrives it ends up being closer to a 10-course meal. Each course was beautifully presented and tasted even better. We both appreciated how restrained they were with portioning. Most often we'd lament petite portions, but in this setting with so many items coming out at you it was perfect. We decided to forgo the wine pairing, but I'm sure that would have been great too.

Naturally, the whole thing was quite expensive, but we walked in knowing that this would be our decadent dinner experience of the vacation, so we knew. You should keep in mind, too, that if you are a gold preferred SGP member you get 10% off, which isn't too shabby.

Visited June 2013