“Great location in Davis”

Aggie Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Irvine, CA
“Great location in Davis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2008

This is my second stay at the Aggie Inn. The location is perfect
walking distance to the campus and downtown.
No need to get in your car.
Room was clean and spacious. Street facing rooms are
a bit noisy...we could hear the frat party on Friday night, but
no big deal, afterall it is a college town.
Highly recommend this cute little hotel for a nice stay in
Davis.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgirlCA1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cali
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2007

We stayed one night while looking for an appartment. The beds were fine (being 7 mos pregnant a good bed is very nice) and everything was clean. Our only complaints were that the shower didn't drain at all and that the breakfast was a bit lame. By the time we were done with our shower (bathe safely, shower with a Marine) we were standing in 5" of water, no exageration. The breakfast was certainly not the worst continental, but by no means above average. Two cereal choices and some stale bread and some breakfast croissant like things.
I did like that it wasn't a chain hotel.

• Liked — not part of a hotel chain
  • Disliked — non-draining shower
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2007

I'm a very picky hotel guest - not into snooty luxuries but VERY concerned about quiet and cleanliness. The Aggie Inn was a great stay - I have absolutely no complaints. The room was spotless and quiet (even though it was right next to the doors). Windows opened enough to allow cool night air. Free computer in the lobby was useful, albeit very much in demand. I would definitely stay there again.

The Aggie also has "cottages" for rent. We stayed in a typical hotel room, but the cottages seem to have more space and a private deck - I was jealous!

• Liked — Location right in downtown Davis
  • Disliked — Was there a pool? I don't think so - and the whirlpool area was very buggy.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank svf8528
Austin, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2006

We stayed at the Inn because I found it on the interenet and the website showed what seemed to be nicer rooms.
I have to admit the rug seemed new, it might have just been painted, pretty clean... but I still felt like I was staying in a high priced Motel 6 with bedspreads from the 70's.

There had been wallpaper border along the ceiling, but ripped off and painted over. There were hooks on the wall over the couch, but the painting was gone. The towels were rough and postage size. We got the standard 4 bath, two hand and two washcloths... but they were all above the toilet with a lonely hand towel hanging by itself by the sink. The amenities were tiny samples displayed on a large plastic dish. We had 2 small dented styrofoam cups for coffee and/or water.

We try to stay in hotels that are not the larger chains, so look for places with a little more charm. the furniture in the room was sharp and plain. The tv was in a MASSIVE armoire that was set 8 inches from the wall.
We will visit Davis again, but not the Aggies.

• Liked — Website pictures and location
  • Disliked — Felt like I was in a Motel 6 for $100
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Therese2002

Travellers are raving about these Davis hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2005

My stay at the Aggie Inn this past weekend confirmed most of the previous reports: this property has a captive audience of UCDavis visitors and is hence guaranteed a customer base, regardless of the quality of service.
On the plus side: the location with respect to campus and downtown is prime. The Inn has good 'bones' - large rooms, refreshingly non-boxy layout of hallways, and a good corner lot design of buildings. The room was clean, but housekeeping in the public areas lacks. The room's fridge and microwave were much appreciated.
On the minus side: the furnishing of the large rooms is inappropriately sized and positioned - as if furniture were borrowed from the Inn's sister properties in Davis that are more motel-like, and not customized to support the inn-concept. The bedding was uncomfortable: hard foam pillows and non-fitted sheets that slid off the mattress. Staff professionalism is limited by the use of college students to provide this service. While they can be pleasant, their youthfulness is apparent. Enjoyment of the ample balcony space is immediately negated by the abundance of pigeon droppings. Two calls on the same day to book the room yielded two conflicting reports on room availability from the same person.

6 Thank SilverioAura
Davis, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2004

I'm suprised by all the poor reviews. I've stayed at the Aggie Inn at least 4 times before I lived in Davis and I liked it.

I liked the rooms quite a bit. They were fairly roomy and had useful furniture, like a small couch and useable table. I loved having a microwave and refrigerator and the mini-mart across the street was handy too. I didn't have any problems with the staff, though they didn't seem particularly professional.

The cottages don't work well for additional people. The bedroom is very large, but the sitting room is small. There is only a single heater, so you need to leave the door between the rooms open. And even if you close the door, it's a glass door so you don't have privacy.

2 Thank DavisCAMom
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2004

My partner and I stayed at the Aggie Inn last month during a visit to Davis. I was performing at the new center run by the university, which had recommended it as nice and conveniently situated. The room we were given was dirty and badly furnished. It had all the equipment - fridge, coffee maker, microwave - but not enough plugins to use them. They offer free high-speed internet through a DSL setup run through their phone system. I picked up a DSL modem from the office (deposit required) and then found I had to string the cords from the phone by the bed to the desk across the room. And unplug everything else in the room to get the computer and modem powered. The service worked decently for 10 hours, intermittently for the next day, and then stopped altogether. I asked the front desk if there was a problem, and the attendant said "year, it just stopped working a few weeks ago." I said it had functioned OK 2 days before, which surprised him. He had no idea when the "guy will come and fix it." They serve a free continental breakfast that would be bad in a Motel 6. And there's a hot tub installed under a arbor that pigeons sit on all day. The tub appeared to have a few months' pigeon droppings in it, and the adjacent sauna smelled awful even before you turned on the heater. I did see a cottage suite in the back one day when I was trying to track down a housekeeper. It was large, nicely (and recently) furnished, and seemed reasonably clean. My OK rating is based on that room.

2 Thank JimUm