“Great Hotel Great front desk and customer Service!!”

Hyatt Place UC Davis
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I visited my Daughters attending University of California Davis for the first time. It was such a nice delight and a unique experience to find a Hyatt hotel so conveniently on Campus.
It was a modern, new and well maintained hotel with excellent amenities and customer service which started right at front desk for the check-in and continued all the way to the check-out time.
The room and all services were high class and the quality of the breakfast bar was outstanding. I would like to express my special thanks to Kerry at the front desk who helped me so graciously with my rental car issue by calling in person and speaking with the rental company and giving me the precise mapping direction to the car rental agency.
I certainly recommend this hotel to those travelers who are going to visit Davis and the University for their overnight stay. I will certainly return to stay there for my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I am just wrapping up a one night stay at this property. I booked a $90/night rate with the state government rate - very good value seeing as the regular rate was much higher. They did not ask for ID when I checked in although I had one with me. I got in early - around 11am and the front desk was having problems with their computer system. So it took a while to check in. They offered me a room on the first floor next to the gym and down the hallway from the front lobby. I checked it out but it had an unpleasant odor so I asked to see another room. The other room available was on third floor right next to the construction and also had the same odor so I nixed that and kept the original room next to the gym. To me the odor smells a bit like mildew. But everything is new so it could be the chemicals from the new carpet. I found the odor unpleasant but not a deal breaker for a one night stay. I asked them to remove the feathers from the bed as requested in my reservation. They did that while I was out during the day. The HVAC worked well although it is a "window" unit (i.e. under the window) and thus blows onto the bed (this was a king bed). There is a thermostat on the wall next to the door and it seems to work well. This time of the year it is not hot at night so the unit was not constantly blowing on the bed.

One positive thing I can say about the room is that it has very good lighting - much better than the average hotel room. Also it has all the latest electronics - e.g. I was able to use an audio cable to plug my smartphone into the TV and listen to music on the phone through the HDTV speaker. They also have HDMI and VGA jacks in case you want to display your powerpoint presentation on the HDTV or watch a video from the laptop displayed on the TV. But bring your own cables because they do not have cables in the room. The free wifi works well. There are several electrical outlets near the desk. The desk chair, however, is moderately uncomfortable but there are also outlets next to the sectional sofa in case you want to hang out there with a laptop.

The room is a standard Hyatt Place room with a sectional sofa and ottoman and desk in the sitting area with a screen separating the sleeping area that has a king bed and night stands. The bathroom light seemed dim to me at first but it turns out to be a fluorescent bulb that takes a little time to warm up - after a minute or two the lighting in the bathroom was fine. So if you want to use the bathroom best to put on the light for a little while before using it. This can be complicated by the fact that they have a motion activated sensor in the bathroom. I believe they should rethink their lightbulb/switch combination. It may be there is a code issue because some parts of California are now requiring bathroom fixtures to be on motion activation or timers to conserve energy. The shower has a simple Speakman showerhead and it works well putting out a good volume of water.

My room was next door to the fitness center. I was up at 5am to work out and there was no one else there. They have lifefitness machines - one elliptical and two treadmills and some free weights. There was no TV or music in the gym. They had wipes that were not set up to use but I was able to open up the container and fix that so that they pop out of the wipe hole. The machines needed a small wipe down but were not unusually messy. There are small towels and a water cooler in the gym as well. There is a pool near the gym it is outdoors and is rather small - not so much for swimming laps.

The complimentary continental breakfast is pretty extensive for "continental". They had two kinds of "egg muffins" (a combination of eggs and English muffins), french toast, hot oatmeal (not instant), cereals, and many kinds of pastries and donuts. Also "light" yogurt - the kind in the little containers with 50 calories. They had several vats of coffee both regular and decaf. Also juice and fruit although the fruit was not so inspiring. Overall I felt the breakfast was a very good value for the property.

They also have food to order at other times of the day. There is a menu in the room it includes sandwiches, pizza, and salads but not really hot entrees. Overall the menu is pretty bad for someone who eats gluten free and might want a starch because all the starches are bread related except for the tortilla chips in the nachos. I do not see any rice or potatoes on the menu. The many advertises the food to be available 24-7. I did not try this food so I can not say how good it is.

Parking is free outside the building and convenient. The property is right next to the UC Davis campus - you can easily walk to the buildings near the hotel. The hotel has a section under construction but it is walled off from the other part of the hotel. I did not notice the construction during my stay although I was out most of the day and only came back in the early evening.

Overall this seems like an excellent property modulo the carpet/room smell. I have a rather sensitive nose so most people may find the place fine but if you are sensitive to these things be aware that the property may not be ideal for you.

Room Tip: stay away from the construction and check the room odor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mybusinesstraveller2
Rob P, General Manager at Hyatt Place UC Davis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We really do pay close to attention to all comments. I have instructed all of our housekeeping staff to concentrate on out building ventilation and allowing fresh air to pass through the rooms and hallways. Our current program is to open all windows of vacant rooms during the cleaning process. During the long hot summers we tend to keep the hotel sealed tight and the air in the rooms begins to smell stale and damp. I am very pleased with the improvements we have made in all of our rooms. Please come see us again and you are sure to find a pleasant fresh smelling guest room.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here during the summer after the new student orientation for our daughter. The good: beautiful, clean hotel; very courteous staff; nice small buffet breakfast; conveniently located on UC Davis campus. I was expecting this to be similar to my favorite boutique style hotel, the Westin Element, and in many respects the Hyatt Place did hold up. But, the not so good: very noisy, except most hotels in Davis are because of the train; the bed was my biggest complaint - it was like sleeping in a bean bag chair. My husband and I had to sleep in the pullout couch, since it was firmer, my daughter actually liked the bed. I have no problem with foam mattress covers as long as the mattress itself is firm. So the adjectives to describe this hotel are fine, nice, and clean, not spectacular or comfortable, but still a cut above many.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tinkerbellmom256
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife and I have been guests of Hyatt Place UC Davis a number of times since our daughter became an Aggie. We're always completely satisfied staying at Hyatt Place. The staff is very attentive and focused on providing a world-class guest experience. One team member in particular, Kerry, is absolutely delightful. Having stayed at Hyatt Place a few times during the last year, we've come to know Kerry. She is always very friendly and welcoming, and goes the extra distance to make our stay that much better. We've not encountered a single staff member who was not accomodating and friendly, and this truly adds to the guest experience.
The spotlessly clean rooms are large and very well appointed. Did I mention it's proximity to UC Davis? It's literally on the campus.
The complimentary breakfast is just perfect. If you're watching calories, there's fresh fruit, oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc. If not, there's the usual selection of pastries, eggs & sausage, and other tempting treats.
We'll be back in November, and can't wait. Hyatt Place UC Davis is truly a wonderful hotel.
The hotel has a nice pool and gym for those times when you want to unwind. Davis is very bike friendly, and Hyatt Place also has loaner bicycles available for tours around the campus and downtown.
In summary, it's a wonderful home away from home.

Room Tip: Higher and away from train tracks would be best choice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed here with my family and I'm staying here by myself now. The service has always been great, the rooms clean and modern and the amenities were underutilized and excellent. Parking might be a problem during a big event like picnic day but not most of the time. Breakfast was great last time, I don't know why it wouldn't be this time. Keep up the good work but maybe work on the prices a little. It would be even better if I drank coffee, there's a Starbucks-seeming café in the lobby! I only put average because coffee shops aren't anything special, just rare(and convenient) here. Don't let me forget about the loaner bicycles!

Still a good value, an excellent hotel on campus!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the construction, it starts early
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2013

During the past few months I have stayed at the UC Davis Hyatt Place on a few occasions. The staff is very customer service orientated. The onsite menu is suited more towards lunch appetizers and evening snacks and is a great choice for those who want to remain at the hotel. However, for those who want to venture out to the town of Davis the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle to locations within Davis, CA. There are a lot of great local eateries in Davis, CA and the shuttle gives travelers the latitude for being dropped off and/or picked up from a local location. For those who are connoisseurs of local/microbrews the hotel carries Sudwerks, my favorite, the Marzen. But I digress, the only drawback that I have had which this particular Hyatt Place is that sometime over a multiple night stay there are problems getting back onto the network. Overall I like this hotel for its' consistency, convenience and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are smaller than the other rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Y T
Reviewed 21 September 2013

New Hyatt with very nice spacious rooms. Staff friendly, breakfast very tasty. Less than a mile to walk to the main township. No room service, but order food and pickup on a tray from the bar area. Swimming pool small but refreshing. Recommended

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business