“Average food, bad service, high prices”
Review of Tucos Wine Market & Cafe - CLOSED

Tucos Wine Market & Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 September 2013

On business in Davis, a colleague and I were searching for a good restaurant in the university area. Yelp suggested Tuco's, giving at a phenomenal 4.5 stars. It was favorably compared to fashionable hangouts in New York and San Francisco. It's secreted down F street next to the railroad tracks and a bit tricky to find. So far so good.

What a disappointment. From the chipped, depressingly sloped water glasses to the appallingly slow, lackadaisical and indifferent service to the high prices to the limited healthy options for food, this was an unpleasant experience from start to finish.

Service - what can I say? It makes or breaks. In this case it broke. But it had assistance from the food and the value.

Our salmon spread appetizer was ridiculously acidic, partly because of an abundance of smashed capers (approved) but mostly because of an inexplicable abundance of lemon juice (not).

Tuco's rises above one star only because my colleague was surprised to find feijoada with farufa on the menu, a Brazilian dish I've enjoyed multiple times in San Salvador and elsewhere in Bahia, and that he'd heard of by repute.

But the dish was made with beef, not bony nuggets of slow-cooked pork as it should be, and instead of a container of farufa next to the dish, a spoonful of it was emptied at a random place, as if to say, You want farufa? You got farufa! BAM! He enjoyed it because he had no idea of what real feijoada should taste like or how it should be presented. I left him in blissful ignorance. Heck dang, how tactful I can be.

My salad Nicoise was perhaps a 4/10. The wines were good but at $12+/glass they should have been. Hotel prices, and high hotel prices at that, in a dingy little place? With terrible service? Srsly? And the salmon on the menu was more expensive than it would have been at McCormick and Schmick's, which explains why I didn't get it, especially because my experience shows that two-bit operations simply don't get how to cook it.

I can only assume that Yelp reviewers live in an alternate universe. Those wanting a good dining, service, or atmospheric experience should look elsewhere.

2  Thank SoItinerant

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I was really impressed with the food and especially impressed by the wine. Because it is so small, you should make a reservation, especially if you want to dine on their patio.

1  Thank ckcurls
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I liked the eclectic menu and wine list, a bit higher than area places. We ate inside (too hot outside) but it looked like the people outside later in the week were many! Their wines were quite nice. Next door to Hallmark Inn

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I had the wild mushroom sweet corn tamales and they were so good, I am planning to return for the same dish. This is high praise because I almost never order the same dish twice...it's that good! The cheese and pasilla empandas were also tasty. The wine flight was only okay.

Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

They have a lot of choices. Our waitress was interested and welcoming to us, helping us pick. Yummy cauliflower au gratin French onion soup. Must come back to try more

1  Thank 2downings