“High Tea”
Review of Ciocolat - CLOSED

Ciocolat
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I recently enjoyed a four course high tea at Ciocolat, using a Groupon coupon that brought the cost down to $36 for two. The service provided was very good. Our server shared some of the history of English high tea prior to serving each course, in addition to ensuring that our water glasses and tea pot was never dry. The food was delicious, showcasing some items available from Ciocolat's regular menu; Cranberry-White Chocolate Scones, finger sandwiches, dessert bites and berries with Chantilly cream. However, the sandwich course was so sparse and light in protein that truly it was more of an appetizer than a main event. I didn't feel like the value of what we received was less than what we paid, using a discount coupon, but I would have been embittered if we paid full price.

Ciocolat has worked hard to make its high tea a refined experience at table, but it's awfully hard to overcome the impact of college students chattering away, plopping themselves down at nearby tables to study and nosh. It isn't obnoxious, but it also contribute to a high tea atmosphere.

Overall, it was a positive experience. While I won't return for high tea, my mouth is watering as I think of the scones and dessert bites I enjoyed. They are definitely worth a repeat visit!

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Ciocolat has changed owners many times. The current owners have a breakfast that is $10.95 on weekdays. On a recent visit with foreign guests - thinking we would have a little something and coffee, they were so stunned that they didn't eat. Although very generous, the nearby Crepeville just makes more sense rather than spend $10.95 for a coffee shop near the university. Not much in the way of vegetarian choices. I won't be back.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I don't find pretentiousness attractive. I also figure if you are going to pay extra for the teeny tiny serving perhaps someone could take your order. The snippy service along with mediocre, overpriced food gives this place a huge thumbs down. My guess is that their desserts are worth a visit but I didn't get that far as I just wanted to get out of there. For real meal, head one block east and visit Burgers and Brew or Crepeville and get something for your money.

1  Thank EweRKidding_NOX
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Ciocolate looked like a nice place for a Sunday morning breakfast. We arrived at 10:40 AM and were seated outside on the covered porch. It all seemed wonderful. They were very attentive to refill water glasses, but our food took forever (1 1/2 hours) to arrive. When my son's order of Eggs Benedict arrived at the table cold, we were done.

1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed 13 September 2010

The deserts here are a cut above and the ambiance of eatting in an older house turned restaurant is pretty cool. Its a great place to eat outside on the old porch of the house and it is conveniently located just across from the main park in Davis. It is unique, don't expect the normal desserts, everything is made locally.
They do serve dinner, but I have never eatten dinner there so I can't count on that. It can be a "chick place" for the ladies who get into the old fashioned tea cups. I believe they have a high tea. For me, just give me a coffee and some of that dang good dessert.

1  Thank zimmek