“Great Food, Super Service, Beautiful Panorama View”

Iris Food and Spirits
Ranked #27 of 93 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We're a neighborhood bar and restaurant focused on using local and organic ingredients in our contemporary interpretations of world food, featuring inspired cocktails, local and regional craft beers, and eclectic wines.
London,ON
“Great Food, Super Service, Beautiful Panorama View”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

As others suggest, a reservation for dinner or any time on the weekend would be wise. Lunch during the mid week without one was not a problem for us.
View of the lagoon is a most pleasant one. The patio puts you right next to the road which is very busy late afternoon to early evening with traffic to Del Mar, but no real problem.
Lots of choice on the menu, food arrived in reasonable time, hot, tasty, nicely presented with panache and server was most pleasant.
Would highly recommend this eatery if you are in or near Del Mar. Easy to find off of the 805, parking in behind [we missed that the first time and parked on the road about a block away].

• Visited April 2013

Arlington, Virginia
“A Must Visit When in Del Mar”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I highly recommend you make a reservation at Iris when in the San Diego area. Our meal was flawless...a diverse wine list with many reasonably priced options, excellent appetizers, tasty rosemary bread, great main course, impeccable service (Lauren (very cute) and others were great). Lauren had tasted everything on the menu, so she was very informed on what to recommend to our group. two people I was eating with ordered the Clam Chowda to start. Both said it was among the freshest and best tasting chowder they have had, including from travels to Boston. I had the organic baby greens, which included at warm walnut crusted brie that paired perfectly with the salad. The crispy sweet potato springs rolls complimented with a local beet sauce also were a big hit for their uniqueness and flavor. For main course, the Iris cassoulet was superb. The flavors were delicious. Short rib stew was "very good," and was a big portion. Salmon was also solid. Overall, Iris was a stupendous dining experience.

1 Thank svdbf1
Bayfield, Wisconsin
“Lovely Views of the Lagoon”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The patio seating at this salad/sandwich shop is lovely with a view across the lagoon to Torrey Pines Beach. The portions are very large and the service is good, but the prices are steep for lunch on an average day. I would save this for a nice business lunch. Parking can be a problem too if you arrive after noon. The sweet potato spring rolls were very interesting with the ginder dipping sauce, but get them to share with something else since there is too much of a good thing for one person - the waiter did warn me.

San Diego, California
“Snotty service, below average food”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

A friend recommended that we meet here for Happy Hour recently. I'd never visited before, but had driven past often and always wondered what it was like. I arrived before my friend, and was seated on the "patio" (enclosed with thick plastic see-through tarps) right under a heater, squashed between two other tables. I politely asked the hostess if I could be moved to a different table on the patio that was a little more private, and was told in a very snotty, condescending manner that all the other tables were reserved for dinner. After a few minutes I felt like I was melting under the heater, so when she returned with water a few minutes later, I asked again if I could be moved somewhere else--anywhere in the restaurant. She finally relented, and moved me from the patio inside the restaurant, which was a huge relief! Incidentally, I was at the restaurant for over 3 hours, and at no time were more than half the tables on the patio occupied!

I ordered the soup of the day (split pea) which was salty and lumpy, and the portion was very small--but maybe that's a good thing because I didn't finish it anyway. I also ordered the sweet potato spring rolls which were greasy and not very flavorful. It's probably the worst food I've had at a restaurant in a long time. The only thing that was decent was the small loaf of complimentary bread which was fresh and warm. That was the highlight of the meal for me! During the 3 hours that my friend and I were at the restaurant, the waiter never refilled our water glasses, never asked us if we wanted a second glass of wine, never asked us if everything was ok. Thankfully, my friend's company more than made up for the bad food and lousy service...otherwise the night would have been a complete bust!
There are so many top-rate restaurants in Del Mar/Carmel Valley with excellent service, imaginative, flavorful dishes, and great ambiance. This is most definitely not one of them. I'll never be back.

San Diego
“Wow Were we Surprised”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I drive by this restaurant every day. After doing so for 5 years my husband and finally ate there. We are kicking ourselves for not having gone in sooner. It is kind of a funky atmosphere but in a good way. Definately a locals restaurant. The portions were enormous. We could have split our salad and dinner and still not finished it, and we can be big eaters. The deserts were crazy big and crazy good. But the most impressive, was the fact that they had Pappy Van Winkle bourbon. This stuff is impossible to get and you really don't often see it in a restaurant. The Manhatten they make is quite good. No they don't use Pappy. It would have been great had they used the Luxardo cherry. Oh and the prices were incredible. We have tried to get back there but timing hasn't allowed. It is a small restaurant so don't hold out for a "patio" seat if you can be seated inside right away. My fish was a little dry but I would rather go that way then raw. By the same token the accompaniments more than made up for the fish. The flash fried green beans were to die for. The potatos were delicious. My husband kept reaching over to my plate for both. I would really recommend this restaurant.

• Visited February 2013