“Scenic Beach full of dogs and dirty sand”
Review of Dog Beach

Dog Beach
Ranked #3 of 23 things to do in Del Mar
Reviewed 2 June 2014

If you aren't into dogs, do not come to this beach. I had to laugh when I heard on the news that dogs were to be on leases at this beach! 95% of the dogs were running loose. This beach could be a beautiful place to hang out, but most of the time there is a dog taking a dump or stiffing another dog's behind in front of you. Most people seemed to pick up after their dogs, but some don't, and that's disgusting. There was a bag of dog doo doo laying by my car when I left. Ugh. The sand was very dirty and there was a lot of seaweed. I like dogs, but I don't think that they belong on the beach. I didn't see any signs telling me that this was a dog beach before I had paid to park. I was visiting from out of town and went to a better beach the next day....Oceanside. Much better!

2  Thank Travelgal4444

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is the best Doggie beach in CA. It is off leash from September to June and amazing homes. There is also a lagoon

1  Thank McK5nz
Reviewed 28 May 2014

What can I say about a beautiful beach that you can share walking, running and playing with your dog. The best time is when it's off leash season. After that I enjoy taking my Dirty Dog for a wash

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Dog Beach at Del Mar is somewhere that we take our dogs to quite frequently. Overall it is pretty nice, but I only give it 3 stars because there are nicer options in San Diego. Fiesta Island and Coronado are both preferable options if you are looking for a beach to take your dog to.

That being said, we still go to Del Mar because it is the closest location. There are a couple of things to be aware of if you do go to Del Mar. 1) Parking can be terrible - the parking along the road south of the beach is free and by the beach/north of the beach is $3 an hour. There have been several times when it has taken us 15+ minutes to find any spot. 2) As you could guess from the lack of parking, the beach is quite busy. Even on "slower" days it is still packed. You can get away from the crowd by walking north along the beach during low tide. There are a couple of places where the rock walls are far enough from the ocean to throw down a towel.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

This beach is such fun. Pure entertainment watching your dog interact with other dogs, dogs playing frisbee/ball in the water, dogs full of excitement running circles around, and the best part- it's gorgeous! The sand and water are perfect. People waded around in the water, played volleyball, relaxed and walked. Great spot to take family and dog!!