“Fabulous atmosphere and service and great food”

Sea and Smoke, an American Brasserie
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,410 helpful votes
“Fabulous atmosphere and service and great food”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I've walked by this place all the time since it's near the Whole Foods that we go to every week. It's a really nice place. It's in a strip type mall with mostly fast food places so you would never expect something so nice and big here. The inside is really beautiful and well decorated. The upstairs has tables and there is a downstairs area with a bar area, couches, seats and an outdoor patio area. Really nice!

The service is very good and attentive. We had a really great meal. The beet salad is great and my wife got a salmon dish that she raved about. I got the polenta which was good but they smothered it in tomatoes which I didn't think was a good flavor combination but the actual polenta was very good.

I heard the breakfast sandwiches here are amazing and will come back for brunch.

• Visited August 2014

Carlsbad, California
“They can easily do better”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a light dinner to test out the place.. We have heard mixed reviews, but love their sister restaurant in Encinitas, so wanted to give it a try...
We both had the soup of the day and bread.. The soup had promise and didn't need the extra salt. The basil biscuits we ordered were wonderful.. The biggest issue was and seems to be service...
The waitress was hard to understand, she mumbled and would walk away while still talking... We are not old.. but we also observed her doing this to other tables..
Second, very poor service, I asked for hot water, hubby had coffee.. the bus boy brought his coffee and asked if there was anything else? I mentioned the water.. then he brought it out right a way.... problem, the glass cups they use make picking up any hot beverage impossible until the liquid has cooled...
Also a part of poor service, we had to ask several times for bread plates, extra butter, also, all staff seemed to be bored, sitting around.. The outside patio is very large and there were several parties.. (ours included)... so no need to sit and have us come to them...
Overall, we were not impressed.. We watched as others seated before us waited a very long time for salads and entrees.. They also were over heard asking if there was a problem..
One minor safety issue.. the patio is built around a trees, watching them seat people around the branches was awkward and there were other clear easier access table available..
In Conclusion,,, for the price (small plate menu) it was fine.. but would not go back.. just not a tight run or professional ship..

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Kendall H
San Diego, Ca.
“Great Meal/Ambiance”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Recently ate here for the first time and were very impressed. We had the Grilled Octopus for starters and they were done to perfection. My Salmon was done exactly as I had asked ( med-rare) and my wife's beef very rare!! ?The menu has many choices on it and being able to sit outside and listen to the music was very enjoyable. We will definitely go back.

• Visited July 2014
San Diego
“Wow!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Since we retired three years ago my wife and I have been eating lunch in and around San Diego. We like to try different things but our favorite is sea food. We had three starters for lunch yesterday at Sea and Smoke and they were all wonderful. The Oysters del Mar, the Grilled Octopus and the Beef Tar Tar. We also had some great IPA's and the Peach Sorbet. The service was great and also the table outside reminded us of France. We loved it and we will be back soon!

• Visited July 2014
San Diego, California
“Limited Menu”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We really miss Pacific Grille... the place this restaurant replaced. Pacific Grille was easily our favorite date restaurant followed by Pamplemousse.

We have been here twice and were kinda underwhelmed by the menu. What we did order was 'OK'. Nothing that matched what we expected by the high prices.

The restaurant business is a tough one... only the best survive in this high rent market.

I don't think we'll be back.

Visited June 2014