“Gamey lamb”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Delicious home made Chinese restaurant
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Never, ever, ever order the Mongolian Lamb if you dislike the taste of lamb. I've had lamb with green onions at other Chinese restaurants (a similar dish) however, this was really gamey and smelly. Sorry, I know lamb smells like this naturally, but when cooked in the right sauces it doesn't have to. On an up note, the egg drop soup was GREAT. Oh, and if you want more steamed rice than a little small bowl, be prepared to pay. That's all.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Great food and service! The prices are reasonable especially for lunch!

Reviewed 7 September 2011

This place is out of my way, and doesn't have much atmosphere, but there is simply no way around it. They have some of the best Chinese food around. I learned that take-out is the way to go. It is a little pricey, but the quality of the food and the care in preparation are worth it. The sweet and sour shrimp are great, as is the cashew shrimp. Try the Buddha Delight......really worthwhile. My Dad raves about the sweet and sour chicken, and my mother craves their orange beef. My wife really likes the pan-fried noodles. We keep trying things, and haven't been disappointed yet.
When we try that other Chinese place in Del Mar it's OK, and a couple of bucks cheaper, but we always come back to the China Cafe because it is worth it.

Reviewed 18 January 2010

It is very disturbing that the two previous reviews, including from the person from New York, could be so inaccurate and malicious. One has to wonder what their agendas are. First, China Cafe has an "A" health code rating. Second, my wife and I have eaten there on a regular basis for the last 7 years. We have always found the premises to be clean, the food outstanding and reasonably priced, and perhaps most importantly the service very friendly and accommodating. In fact, after our son was born we brought him there with us and the staff even offered to babysit him for us so that we could have a quiet meal together. I doubt many other restaurants can boast that kind of personal, caring service!

1  Thank pdgmd
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Bad food, bad sevice and dirty grungy place makes this place one to avoid. I can't believe they're still in business. (It speaks poorly for the locals, of which I'm now one-from NY)
The choices in the area just got worse after Ming court closed so go to Rendezvous for Chinese food. We gave this place a second chance after we hated it 4 years ago and it never got better. Keep looking. I hate to say it, but PF chang's is looking better and better around here.