“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for a few days recently for a local trade show and was very disappointed.
Made my reservation several months in advance and the room they gave me a handicap room at check in. After entering room I notice there is no desk but there is a place where a pull down desk should be in the armoire, but the it's broken. I call down to front desk for maintenance and they arrive in 20 mins. There are two workers, one proceeds to call someone on walkie talkie and the other shakes his head and exits room. The person on other end of walkie talkie says he knows the desk is broken and hasn't bothered to fix it. The maintenance guy in my room says he will be back in morning to fix it. The next day no one comes to fix it. Now I'll move to dinner...I order a simple dinner of Turkey club with onion rings and a caesar salad. The menu says caesar comes with Parmesan crusting...no it didn't. The Turkey club says bread is toasted...no it wasn't...the onion rings I ordered magically changed to fries. In the morning I pre-ordered breakfast with over easy eggs...there were runny snotty uncooked eggs. The following morning I ordered a denver omelet with ham and cheese only...I got the cheese and tomatoes NO HAM. I guess they thought I would confuse the tomatoes for ham. To boot the room wasn't very clean, I had to wipe down the TV tray that I had to use as a desk because it was sticky. I also had to wipe leather chair because it had food on it too. I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

1 Thank CzunedTraveler26
Justin F, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Gregg M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Certainly not the type we like to hear but all very valid items and things I appreciate knowing. My team and I have reviewed your comments and will work quickly to resolve. Thank you again for staying with us and I do hope you will stay with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

pulling into the hotel parking and i was like, what did i book. Walking in this Hotel it's a gem! I was greeted with a big smile from Jessica at the front desk. I had originally booked a king but later found out my granddaughter was joining me so i asked Jessica if there was anything she could do and she went above and beyond the only rooms with 2 beds were the ones facing the pool with a patio. So i upgraded and my room came with the club lounge. She also sent up cookies with milk when my granddaughter came in, perfect ending to a great day! Lynette and Samara in the club lounge Elva and Claudia at the restaurant Wes and Ben at the bar Jesus and Chris in the shuttle Jenn the concierge these people make your stay, they make you feel at home! Such a great stay that i might have to make it out for race season.

Room Tip: ask for Jessica she's great and will help you pick a great room!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lillyann a
Justin F, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Lillyann,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in Del Mar. I greatly appreciate your feedback and thank you for calling out so many members of our team. I am thrilled we were able to accommodate every aspect of your stay.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your return to Del Mar.

Sincerely, Justin
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel 4/17-4/19. My mom accidentally left her passport inside the safe. She only found out about her missing passports on 4/23. The hotel apparently found the passport but did not contact us. We called the hotel several times on 4/24 to check if they have the passport. No one was able to answer our questions. We kept on being transferred to housekeeping. We left several messages and no one was returning our calls. The guy at reception said, "Sorry, they're busy. That's the best that we can do. You have to wait for their call." I don't think that's acceptable. He could have at least confirmed if they had the passport. If the missing article was a piece of clothing, sure, I'll wait. BUT it's a passport. To cut a long story short, after many more phone calls (and stress), the manager was able to confirm that they do have my mom's passport. They sent it back to us through FedEx (which I had to pay for). Maybe the good thing is, they didn't steal it?
Anyway, I won't be staying at this hotel, or at any Hilton, and won't ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SharG123
SharG123,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. We really do care of our guests. That's why we are in the hotel business and I am dearly sorry that your passport request was not handled in an urgent matter. We have reviewed your experience with our team and made the neccessary changes to ensure this does not repeat itself.

Thank you again for staying with us and for sharing your experience.

Smyrna, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Every aspect of my stay at the Hilton in Del Mar California was excellent. From the airy lobby area to the guest room, the ambiance was relaxed and though there on business, it was very much a vacation atmosphere. Customer service was everywhere evident and the food was marvelous. If I come this way again, i will without doubt stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Justin F, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Patricia B,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take several of our great features our property offers. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Seattle, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Nice hotel if you have business in the north San Diego Area since you will be traveling against rush hour traffic. Hotel will also shuttle you to local restaurants. Nice club room for HH Elite members. Friendly staff.

1 Thank Kurt W
Kurt W,

Glad you stayed with us and established a method to beating the San Diego rush hour traffic. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We hope to see you back in Del Mar real soon.

Santa Barbara, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The worst part of the hotel is the cleaning staff. They are extremely loud (starting very early in the morning). If they aren't busy shouting down the hallway to another cleaning cart, they are going in and out of rooms and ALWAYS letting the door slam behind them. Another annoying thing was that had to request a copy of my bill at check out, as one was not provided for me the night before I left. I also had to return to the front desk twice because my key card stopped working. When I asked the front desk attendant about it she told me "You can't put the key card near your cell phone." I told her I had my key and my phone in two different pockets and she simply repeated herself.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Andrew G
Justin F, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Andrew G,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your feedback is important and helps us improve our operation. I am very sorry to learn about the challenges you experienced and have shared with our housekeeping and front office teams. Thank you again for your feedback, it is truly appreciated.

LOS ANGELES
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Picked the hotel due to location to a business meeting the next morning. Good newer facilities, with upgraded room amenities (plug ins on the lamps and obvious newer everything). But the check-in people were cold and not particularly helpful nor welcoming. The $18 parking charge a bit expensive. The bar staff was great. However the bacon peanut caramel popcorn was stale and needed to be fresher.

Chan0198,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and you staying with us. My team and I will use your feedback to assist in training to ensure your experience is not duplicated.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope to see you back in Del Mar again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines

Been to Hilton San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!