“A good choice ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 91 Restaurants in Del Mar
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 12th & Camino Del Mar
“A good choice ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Went there with my parents. We were seated outdoors in a covered patio area. It was very pleasant. Ordered fish tacos and they were very good. The corn tortillas were very tender and the fish was flaky and tasty. I enjoyed the jicama slaw and chipotle aioli on them. Iced tea was replenished often. Others ordered a meatloaf sandwich and a Cuban sandwich. Both left clean plates. They were served with a side salad of mixed greens dressed in a light cherry vinaigrette dressing which was very tasty as well.

We made a good choice to go here!

Solana Beach, California
“Really? Led Zeppelin?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I like the food at Prep Kitchen, and have found it to be consistently good. The last time I went I had pappardelle, which was delicious. I ate there once for lunch, and had a hard time deciding what to order as several things sounded good. I ended up having the Cuban sandwich, which was quite good. They also have a good beer and wine list, and I always find something that I like. Regarding service, it has varied - friendly at times, cool and smug at others. My biggest complaint is that the last time I was there for dinner, Led Zeppelin was being played rather loudly. Don't get me wrong, LZ was my favorite band in high school and it should be played loud. But it ruined the atmosphere that particular night. Hopefully it was just a quirk; I'm willing to return another time, hopefully to a more friendly waiter and less obnoxious music.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Neighborhood gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The prep kitchen del mar is a neighborhood gem that serves great food with a friendly staff that makes you feel at home. The appetizers are very special and one could order two and a glass of wine and be very happy. The entrees are innovative and hearty and the FLAVORS are very satisfying. Great comfort food with a twist. Very very nice. Everything is great!

San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Owner doesn't want my business (or my referrals)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I ate at Prep Kitchen Del Mar on Sunday. The food was pretty disappointing and the menu, well - bizarre. One disappointment in particular I mentioned in a restaurant review got a return posting from the owner no less telling us to not come back if we didn't like it.
Incredible.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 914Brenda
California City, California
“So glad we gave it another chance!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We always liked this place, however, we felt the food was under season and lack flavor. We went back for Sunday happy hour and we were impressed. The food flavor has improved tremendously. I particularly loved the wild mushroom risotto it was probably one of the best I ever had. The chipotle chicken tostadas were very good as well. I will definitely go back.

Prices are great also during happy hour ($5 glass of sangria!)