“3-Star "Camping" Experience”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Calabasas
“3-Star "Camping" Experience”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

If you choose this motel, and there are reasons to choose it, then don't expect to spend any time in your room. It is called a "motel" for a reason. The rooms are not glamorous in any way. It is a motel, plain and simple. You'll use your room to shower and sleep and not much else. For those two things, the rooms are adequate, but bring your own pillow! You'll thank me.

I call it a "camping" experience because you need to bring the comforts of home with you. Bring everything you'd want for a day at the beach. If you're not a beach person, there is no reason to stay here.

However, if you ARE a beach person, here's the good part: the motel is literally on the beach in an amazing location. You just walk out your room and you're steps from the ocean. This is particular wonderful if you have children. And the beach is GORGEOUS and the water is warm. I haven't seen water like this in a long time. We spent long days boogieboarding and surfing, then heading to Del Mar Fairgrounds for some horseracing, followed by meals and drinks on the motel's wonderful patio.

The outside, communal areas are clean and very well kept. Amazing views. Walk up the street to get your coffee and bagels, and then walk back to watch the ocean on the deck in the morning. Later you can BBQ on one of their grills or order pizza and eat on the patio.

The staff (from the parking attendant to the checkin desk to the cleaning staff both inside and out) were super friendly. They do their jobs. Since there are no amenities to be had and this IS a motel, they are not there to service you. Just know that going in. You gotta have the right attitude staying here. If you're gonna get upset about the little things, find another place to stay.

We will definitely stay here again because of the location due to its access to the beach and the nearby stores and restaurants on the main drag in Del Mar.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Barthish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

You pay the $$ for the beachfront location here. It is nice to have beach access right from the motel. The room was a little dingy and in need of updating. Parking is an issue - the lot doesn't have enough spaces for all guests. I regret that I spent over $400 for one night here.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank YankeeTraveler1
radelowgittins, General Manager at Del Mar Motel on the Beach, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts regarding your stay with us in July 2013. As General Manager, I need to know when our services or products do not meet our guests’ expectations. If there was something particularly wrong with the room, and was brought to our attention, we most definitely would have tried to fix the problem so you could have had a more enjoyable stay with us.
In regards to our parking, we do inform our guests at time of making the reservation that we have limited complimentary parking. However, we do provide complimentary Valet service during the summer months to assist our guests with parking.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

huntington beach
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I understand there are not many hotel/motels that are right on the beach. And motels will charge what they can get away with during the summer. We just returned from 2 nights here, and our bill was $450. There were no discounts available. So, if you want just a room with NO VIEW, but the motel is right smack on the beach and you are willing to pay ANY price for it, this is your place. However if your expectations are for a room that is a step up from a Motel 6, book elsewhere and walk the 50 yards. FYI...I've never actually stayed in a Motel 6, but I imagine it is somewhat similar in quality. Parking is only included if you are lucky enough to garner a spot. Metered parking is $3 per hour.
Bottom line, I didn't feel I got my money's worth. Last few months, I've spent weekends in Avila Beach and Carlsbad and had beautiful rooms in awesome hotels with full views of the same Pacific Ocean for around the same price! I have used Tripadvisor for many years as a source of information. I don't normally post reviews, but really felt like I should share with fellow-travelers my review on this place since so many other reviewers think this is such a great gem of a place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank whatakik

Travellers are raving about these Del Mar hotels

San Diego
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We are San Diego residents who have stayed at the Del Mar Motel many times over the years for a convenient beach getaway and have had our out of town family visiting for weddings and graduations stay here as well. The location is fabulous. This recent stay was our last and we will no longer recommend it to our out of town guests. The reservation process has changed, now with a centralized reservation agency not familiar with the property and who did not book our rooms as requested. When I called the hotel to address this, the response was unapologetic. We needed to cancel one of the two nights 4 days prior and despite the improper booking of rooms and our repeated business over the years, we were not permitted to do so, so we lost over $500 for two rooms for a night we did not use. I asked to speak to the manager about this situation but was not permitted to do so. We have traveled extensively and stayed at many hotels along the way, are very easy to please and are not picky people. Nonetheless, I found the customer service atrocious, the worst I have encountered in a hotel. Most hotels go above and beyond, recognizing that good customer service is good business. Not this one. Not anymore.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank SanDiegoTraveler70
radelowgittins, General Manager at Del Mar Motel on the Beach, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your recent stay on June 11th. We do value you and your family as our repeat guests and appreciate the referrals you send our way.
With regards to your dissatisfaction regarding the reservation process, you made your reservations through the Expedia website and not with us directly. When you called us to make changes to your reservations, we did inform you that since the booking was through Expedia, any changes would have to go through them, even to cancel the 2nd night. We did not hear back from you or Expedia with any confirmed changes, so the original reservation was left as is.
When you contacted us directly you also asked about the location of your rooms and we informed you that since your reservation was booked online by Expedia, the available room types are only for our standard rooms, which are farther away from the beach. You voiced your concern regarding this and asked for specific rooms that you had stayed in before. Please understand we cannot guarantee actual room numbers as they may not be available during the timeframe needed. When guests call the hotel directly, there is a choice of booking the East Wing vs. West Wing and we try to accommodate any additional requests to the best of our ability. Unfortunately the rooms you were requesting were already occupied. However, we did let you know we had other rooms available in the West Wing and that we would upgrade you at no additional cost.
You also mentioned that you paid for the second night but did not use those rooms, however, you did in fact use the rooms up until 6:00 pm that evening. That is considered an additional day since check out is at 12:00 Noon.
We did accommodate your needs to the best of our ability after speaking to you directly. We highly recommend that you book directly with the Hotel to avoid future dissatisfaction from the online booking websites.

Nebraska
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We liked the town of Del Mar a lot. A lot less busy than La Jolla (but we like La Jolla too). The Del Mar motel was a clean, cute little motel on the beach and we thought a good price for the area. Nice patio area with grills, lounge chairs and a foot shower to remove the sand from your feet. A real beach feel to the rooms and the motel which we liked. Beach area is not that pretty with all the kelp, but extremely relaxing to hear and watch the waves. Great to be so close to the beach. Room had a refrigerator, coffee maker and Queen Beds. We stayed in room 214 which was the closest Queen room to the lounge chairs on the lower level. We would stay here again with friends in the King rooms on the upper level. Very nice stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RACKNebraska
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the relaxing experience you had with us at Del Mar Motel on the Beach. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our great location, our beachy rooms, our out-door patio and lounge areas. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

If you have a realistic idea of what to expect from this place, it's the best place to stay in Del Mar for price and proximity to the beach! This is a MOTEL, not a hotel or 5 star resort. If that's what you're looking for, this is not the place for you.
It is the only place directly on Del Mar Beach and we got a room for $135/night. If you know Del Mar, you know that's a steal.
Although the place has been renovated, it is very basic. Small box tv, no storage in the bathroom, Formica table. There is a local train that goes by frequently and you can definitely hear it but it never woke me up-I only heard it when I was awake.
Ok, now that I have set appropriate expectations, let me tell you all of the reasons you should still stay here:
-RIGHT on the beach! Literally, step of the porch and you're on the beach for $135/night in Del Mar!!!!
-Snack bar and very nice restaurant and bar right next door to the motel.
-Park with grass and swing set two doors down
-Extremely friendly staff, including the housekeeping and maintenance people
-Free parking (a true amenity since most places charge a daily rate for it)
-Free wifi (a true amenity since
most places charge a daily rate for it)
-Easy access to I-5 to downtown or up north to Carlsbad
-Beautiful paths to walk the beach or the cliffs overlooking the ocean
-Walking distance to tons of shops and restaurants
-Clean rooms and property
-Upper and lower patio to sit and look at/listen to the ocean
-Did I mention it's RIGHT on the beach? That by itself should really be all you need to know!

• Stayed June 2013
8 Thank sevenphotographyphx
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience you had with us and for the 5 star review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff, location and our hotel in general.

In regards to a couple of items you have mentioned, we are in process of replacing our older televisions with flat screen TV’s and we will be updating our bathrooms I the near future.

Again, thank you for your review and feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

minneapolis
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Refused to give AARP discount even though it was offered at time of reservation. They charged my entire 7 day stay when I arrived. The bill was not detailed. After consideration, I thought something was wrong. On day if departure I asked desk clerk if they included the AARP discount? He said no and they wouldn't change it now. Too late! I asked to speak to manager, she said it was my responsibility to ask for it when I checked in. I told her it was offered at time of reservation. She said there were no notes on the record and refused to correct the overcharge. She refused to give me the contact info of the owner.

Our room wasn't cleaned on the 2nd day. The office said it was our responsibility to put the clean room now sign on the door knob. RIDICULOUS!

• Stayed April 2013
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar

Been to Del Mar Motel on the Beach? Share your experiences!