L'Auberge Del Mar
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$166
  • Pool
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
US$174
US$153
BestWestern.com
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$143
HotelIndigo.com
US$162
Les Artistes(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$145
Agoda.com
Winners Circle Resort(Solana Beach)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$153
Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach(Solana Beach)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$146
US$143
US$131
  • Breakfast included
Villa L'Auberge(Del Mar)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,067 results
All reviewsresort feemini cupcakesbeautiful hotelshort walk to the beachvalet staffview of the oceanbusiness meetinglong weekendlobby barsan diegooutdoor patioshops and restaurantstrain tracksfire pitrace trackspawedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Those who value spa services or find ocean views more important than service quality or beach access may consider the hefty room prices a good value; we did not not. We were underwhelmed by our room, which even at $400+ per night was not large and did not have a view, and we were very disappointed with most of the service, with the exception of the valets. Valet service was top notch: fast, friendly, and thorough. Other service was disappointing at best. There was no table service in the bar the nights we were there, and food service stops at 10. Our cross-country flight had been delayed several hours, and we arrived very hungry at just 10:10. The bartender said nothing was available, not even a snack. He said room service would be the only way to get food but shook his head and said we should expect it to take quite a long time and not much would be available. Since we were meeting friends in the bar and had already arrived very late, going back to our room and sitting for an hour or so was not an option. Since the kitchen was clearly open, surely at least a small snack could have been offered? And once the bar closed, there was a very clear "hurry up and finish" vibe in the room. Definitely not the "above and beyond" service you'd expect at this price point: Ritz prices without Ritz service quality or room quality.

Our room was comfortable and very clean but small. The bathrobes were worn out, and few towels were provided. We were booked into a handicapped room (not needed or requested), which meant almost no counter space in the bathroom, no rug on the very slippery bathroom room, and low hooks in the closet that left dresses and suit pants dragging on the floor--not good since we were there for a wedding. When we politely asked if anything might be done, since the hotel did not appear to be fully booked, the desk person sniffed and said "Oh, sorry," then literally turned her back on us. The other person behind the desk looked up our room number and said disdainfully, "Oh, you booked with Expedia," as if that was inexcusably low class. I had mentioned that the bathroom floor was extremely slippery; surely it would not have been that difficult to at least put a rug in the bathroom?

The hotel website suggests that the hotel is right on the ocean, but be aware that there is no beach access. For the size of the hotel, the pool is small. The views, though, are very lovely, as other reviews mention. Eating on the terrace would be beautiful, and the restaurant is supposed to be quite good. I can't comment on the food, since we had reached our endpoint with the hotel's unwelcoming service and ate elsewhere. Never again.

Room Tip: Request not to be booked into a handicapped-accessible room unless you actually need one.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank APracticalIdealist
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay. While I am pleased that your room was clean and that you enjoyed the vistas from the hotel, however, I would like to apologize on behalf of our team for your experience during your stay. It concerns me deeply that you were displeased with our accommodations but most importantly I am disappointed with our service when your dissatisfaction was brought to our attention. This is a matter that should have been easily addressed and rectified. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department, which always welcomes suggestions for improvement.
Again, I extend my apologies and hope that this atypical experience does not deter you from visiting us in the future. I look forward to exceeding your expectations on a return visit in the near future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife & I had two nights here recently & thoroughly enjoyed the stay. We were on the third floor so had a nice balcony overlooking the pool area & the ocean to our right so was a lovely outlook. The staff were all really friendly, especially the porters on arrival. Our room was a good size & very comfortable with a decent sized bathroom for a change. The shower was also much bigger than normal in a hotel. We ate one night in Kitchen 1540, actually to be precise we ate in the courtyard outside & had a lovely meal, although it has to be said it was quite expensive but still worth it. The hotel is conveniently situated with many restaurants & shops within easy walking distance & the beach is just a few minutes walk away. All in all we have nothing but good things to say about this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor - you get much better views.
1  Thank David C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent visit and for taking the time to share your words of appreciation. I am humbled to have received such thoughtful comments, for there really is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. We all look forward to the privilege of serving you on a return trip to our seaside home.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great Hotel for a business meeting. We had a wonderful stay during our NSM. The staff was attentive and the food was very good. The rooms were on the small size but very well done. I would use L'Auberge again for a meeting or a relaxing vacation. All and All a very good experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing you experience on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that L’Auberge Del Mar provided a restful place to stay while traveling for business. I look forward to welcoming you back each and every time that your professional or personal travel takes you to San Diego.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

What an incredible view from the deck of this hotel. The service at this hotel is incredible, from the front desk, to the Kitchen 1540. The outdoor seating area is beautiful. The ability to walk across the street to the plaza is perfect and we were only steps form the beach.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about L’Auberge Del Mar. I am pleased that you enjoyed the spectacular vista and service to match. I look forward to welcoming you back to our seaside resort in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at this wonderful seaside hotel that was remodeled about 6 years ago. The hotel looks great, although it is showing signs of wear after just 6 years. The rooms are nice, but small, think big city hotel rooms vs. large resort rooms. It's quite a happening place, with nightly entertainment. They do close the outside bar at 10pm so you can actually go to sleep. All the rooms are close together and overlook the bar. The service is terrific. Everyone is very helpful. We had lunch at the outdoor restaurant overlooking the ocean - great food, great view, great service. You are right in the heart of Del Mar so there are lots of restaurants and shops to walk to. My only complaint was they tried to put us into not the best room. We were paying for a Deluxe King, the only more expensive room was a suite, so I was surprised they tried to stick us with the worst of the high end rooms. But I called the front desk and nicely told him I really didn't like the room and asked if another one was available. They immediately showed us other options. We were celebrating my birthday so it was important to have a nice room. I guess they have to get rid of the worst rooms, just wish it hadn't been my birthday when they tried that on us. As I mentioned, the service was great. It's a small hotel so be prepared for small rooms and bathrooms. It was very nicely remodeled and the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Unless you're from the coast in CA, you might not know that we have May gray and June gloom. So avoid those months if weather is important to you. This year has been different, but it's the first time I've seen sun in June at the beach in 18 years. Be mindful, the rooms and bathrooms are small.
2  Thank HawaiiHappy60
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the privilege of hosting you during your birthday celebration! Congratulations on this special milestone and I am pleased that L’Auberge Del Mar enhanced and contributed to your celebration. I apologize that your first room location did not exceed your expectations but I am so pleased to hear that when you encountered your only challenge, our team assisted you directly and quickly.

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor and I anxiously anticipate many more opportunities to serve you during future special occasions.