“Light and Airy Seaside Atmosphere”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Central Illinois
“Light and Airy Seaside Atmosphere”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Del Mar, CA, while attending a nearby horse show. Loved the light, airy feel to it. We were given a wonderful, large room on a second story corner - very private and quiet with only one other room next to us. Huge shower, shuttered windows on three sides. We could see the ocean over the roof tops. Covered walkways outside with little tables and chairs so one could sit outside if so inclined. Outdoor patio and comfy furniture and fire pits - great for lounging after dark. Very friendly staff. Ate at the restaurant twice - very good if a little pricey. Two blocks to the cliffs overlooking the ocean. There's a path one can run or walk and watch the surfers and the waves. Only complaint: only one bedside table and lamp - bit difficult if both parties want to read at night.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with Trip Advisor Readers. We are extremely happy to hear how much you have enjoyed our service, food and location. I agree with you 100% on the breathtaking the ocean views and how lovely Del Mar is. We are so blessed to be here every day and having the opportunity to share these great experiences with our guests means the world to us. We appreciate your feedback on the night stand. Reading before bed time is also part of my nightly ritual, so I fully appreciate the need of good lighting and the convenience of a night stand by the bed. We have rooms that are set up with two night stands. Please mention the importance of this feature to my staff upon check in and we are more than happy to find you the prefect room. Please come and visit us soon. We look forward to watching another beautiful San Diego sunset with you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Fremont, California
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

We were happy enough, the remodeled hotel is pleasant, the staff was friendly, our dog was allowed to be with us, and the room was clean and modern. They had new bathrooms which did not work so well. The hot water took over five minutes running to get hot and the faucets were not terribly user-friendly. The floors were cold too. The price was reasonable and the beach was a close walk. I found the neighborhood a little too clean and manicured, all form no function, like the decor, but that's me. That could be your cup of tea.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Hi Tara, thank you so much for sharing your positive experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with Trip Advisor Readers. I am so glad to hear the staff took great care of you and your four legged friend. We appreciate your feedback on the “shower experience”. Your comments are definitely well received and will be shared with our design team. We are currently in the process of refining our “shower experience” and new enhancements will be added to continue our efforts. Please come back and visit us soon. We are working on 2013 events that include much more entertainments for travelers with pets. Please continue to check us out.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This a very nice place after their renovation and take over in March, 2012. The staff is quite friendly and helpful. The restaurant is a tad pricey, but the food is quality stuff. Draft beer would be a plus (at a reasonable price) since a 10 minute walk to town yields great restaurants and cheap happy hour stuff.
The decor of the rooms and the rest of the hotel is modern and comfortable.
The problem, which they can't do anything about, is the noise.We could easily hear the conversation going on in the next room,( the guys were not unusually loud) and there were a lot of noises from, I suppose, downstairs since we were on the top floor on the end. Who knows where they came from?
Anyway, the noise was tolerable BUT if there were kids or loud adults, or people up late nearby, it would be tough to sleep or enjoy the comfortable rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dennis l
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share the great experience you had at our hotel with Trip Advisor readers. We truly appreciate your positive remarks and the constructive feedback. With an user name of “eating-R-us”, we are honored to have your stamp of approval on your dining experience at our Ocean View Bar and Grill. We hear you loud and clear, adding draft beer to our restaurant is definitely on our plans for 2013. There are more enhancements to come so please come back and visit us soon.
Reviewed 1 December 2012

My wife and I spent four days here. This place was formerly a Best Western and became Hotel Indigo in March of this year. It is obvious that a lot of money was spent here and they have some before and after photos for those interested. Outdoor pools and hot tubs. Attractive paint job throughout facility. Upscale, good looking lobby and adjacent bar and restaurant serving breakfast and dinner. We were in room 315, a double queen suite. Hardwood floors, small frig, microwave, stove and sink, coffee maker, wireless internet . A good clean looking air conditioner. Flat screen tv. Spacious, clean and charming. No view or access to ocean from our room. I'm ok with that. 15 minute walk north gets one into Del Mar where restaurants and shops are. Staff looked clean, neat and were solicitous. I do not make a big deal out of whether a place is a hotel or motel. The features described are the important factors to me. The only issues; The lounge chairs around the pool near #315 need to be replaced or upholstered. The chairs at the minibar appear to be new; however, when one sits down, the foam in the seat is not dense enough. It compresses down so that one is sitting partially on the frame and is uncomfortable. I spoke to the manager on these issues. She was already aware that the pool lounge chairs need something. Not sure if any action will take place on the minibar chairs. But this are nit picky points. It was an excellent stay. We recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tukwilaman
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience you and your wife had with us on Trip Advisor. My entire staff and I are ecstatic to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel, service and especially the new transformation from former Best Western to Hotel Indigo. It was such a pleasure meeting you both. I truly appreciate your supportive feedback. Please come and visit us soon. Beautiful Del Mar, Ca awaits for you return.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Del Mar and La Jolla are beautiful, but no one expecting any kind of luxury should be staying at this glorified MOTEL. Each room has a tiny sliver of a faraway ocean view, and there is no access to the beach from the hotel property -- one must walk about a mile closer to the Del Mar village center to get to the Pacific. What a joke, don't make the same mistake I did. Skimpy on towels, toilet paper, one tiny garbage can for the entire suite, just a huge mistake. No bathtub, shower only, which my wife hates. STEER CLEAR!

Room Tip: Choose an entirely different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank draperdude
2hounddogs
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We love Del Mar and tried Hotel Indigo on our most recent visit. The hotel is very nice with good-sized rooms and nice furnishings. We got in late, so we didn't get to try the restaurant and it wasn't pool weather, so we didn't try the pool either, but it looked very nice with comfortable loungers. Service was very nice and everyone that we spoke to was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again on future visits to Del Mar. The only downside is that it's not really walking distance to the beach and it's at the very south end of town, so walking up to most of the shops/restaurants could be a hike. It's a very short drive though, so if you've got a car, it's no problem.

Room Tip: They do have rooms available with ocean views (although we didn't have one), so if that's im...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 2hounddogs
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Loved the hotel, the lobby was really beautiful, the bar area was nicely redone. Loved the atmosphere, the staff at the front desk was very friendly. We got the room on the second floor, room 218. Everything looked sooo nice, very cozy and warm. The room design was nice, they did an amazing job on renovating the bathroom, I LOVED the bathroom, the shower, the lightening, I mean everything about their shower was beyond. Actually upon check in, we were told that we were being upgraded, so prior to checking out our room and spending the night, we were grateful. The room 218 is connected to room 217. It is also right by the unloading area. So every morning, at 730am I was either woken up by the trucks trying to unload stuff or people next door (in the connecting room) screaming and talking loud. It felt like there were people in my room, next to my bed speaking. It was absolutely ridiculous, that they would put a couple, in the connecting room. I was beyond pissed off, because here I am, on my vacation and I could not even get a full night's rest. The room is also very close to the bar area, and I heard the music until they turned it off. The environment, atmosphere and the location of this hotel is fantastic. The rooms are clean and very well kept. Perhaps, if we stayed in a different room, I would have enjoyed this hotel a lot more.
We were able to walk to all restaurants, so the location of the hotel is great. We had no problem with parking. I would definitely stay there again, but I would know better than to ever stay in the room 218 or 217. Their pool area is beautiful, they have a new deck with fire pits and nice comfortable chairs. The bartender (hes new and only been there 3 weeks) is very nice. He made us numerous drinks, and brought out chocolate dipped strawberries on the house. The service was top notch. Beautiful small hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
#103 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!