“Indigo stain”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Our room was huge (suite) with a small balcony, and the bed was very comfortable. I don't know what the people who talk about noise are referring to, as it was very quiet. There are two pools, both very nice and clean. There were some kind of winged bugs in the bathroom every day (non-biting fortunately). The internet was down almost the entire time we were there. When I called the front desk the woman said, "Well, you know that the internet is provided as a free convenience." Oh really? Like parking, sheets, towels, TV, water a AC? Are you kidding? And whenever I called about it they'd say, "Are you the guy in 401?" Like it was the Scarlet Letter. You can't access the beach unless you walk 6+ blocks to 15th St. And it was also not cheap. For seven night we could have rented a villa behind L'Auberge for a $1000 less than we paid, and been in the center of town. We go to CA several times a year. We like to stay in different places each time we go. Live and learn.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. We prefer Del Mar, but there are lot's of options from La Jolla up to Solan...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. Please accept my apology for the lack of professionalism in our manners of communication. All of your feedback will be shared with my team and will be address for improvement. We appreciate the opportunity to host your stay during your annual trip. I am sorry we did not deliver the level of service you should expect. The internet issue is currently in the works to be enhanced and upgraded. I hope you will give us another chance in the future to show you we are the hotel to stay when you are in Del Mar. Please ask for me directly on your next visit and I will personally take care of your stay. Thank you for your comments. They are well appreciated.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at the Indigo for 2 nights in September. Nice looking place - lobby well done, nice pool, and overall very good location. It didn't seem overly busy, being more-or-less the shoulder season. Nonetheless, we were aghast to find ourselves placed in a dank dark horrid room. In the north building on the main floor. We've travelled lots and can put up with a lot, and have never asked for a different room, until then. We just couldn't imagine saying in that room for more than 5 minutes. We didn't lose our cool and asked nicely, and eventually we were happy to get moved to another room, but were left wondering why the clerk thought it okay to place us in that room in the first place, when they were obviously not busy.

A suggestion for the front desk staff: try to make eye contact or say hello to your customers once in a while. We were never acknowledged or thanked once. What's with the frostiness?

One other friendly suggestion for the hotel manager: get some better quality coffee going on. The in-room coffee is the cheapest possible Maxwell House crap, and the coffee in the morning in the restaurant is undrinkable. I think if this were addressed you'd have something more in keeping with your prices and the overall customer experience you are striving for.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the main floor facing the road. Yeow.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. Please accept my apology for the lack of eye contact from my front desk team. That is not acceptable and it will be address. I appreciate all of your feedback and I will definitely share them with my team plus my company regarding the choice of coffee selection. We do have many different room types. I hope you will give us another chance to show you that “we can be better”. Please contact me directly on your next visit and I will make sure you are well taken care of. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed in room 121. Bottom floor, no view.
While our room faced the pool- there was no window to look out except a very high, narrow, oblong window for light. The other window in the room looked out to the parking lot.

The amazing aspect of this room was the steam bath. The bathroom was quite large and well appointed. An iPad on the wall operated the steam bath, complete with aromatherapy, mood lights and music.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so happy to hear you thoroughly enjoyed our aromatherapy steam shower. It is a proto-type IHG is testing to see if, as a company, would like to add this feature to all Indigo properties. I will definitely share your great experience with my company. On your next visit, definitely try out our other different room types such as the ocean view rooms with balcony. The view is spectacular. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Spent 2 pleasant nights in Room 210, which had a nice distant ocean view over 3 or 4 blocks of house rooftops but no balcony. We had stayed here about 25 years ago when it was the Stratford Inn and were please with the Indigo's upgraded lobby/bar, outdoor fireplace cushion seats, furnishings in the bathroom (including Aveda products), rainshower (though 7 foot high!) and wet bar areas. Also appreciated the mini frig, 4 cup coffeemaker, and the ipod-ready am/fm clock radio. We love Del Mar as it is very laid back and great for leisurely walks to a cute downtown area (using the back streets) or walking along the bluffs overlooking the beach and railroad tracks. Both pool areas appeared well kept (except for a few insects in the pool) and ample (though not plush) towels. It is hard to improve the underlying Stratford Inn building, unfortunately, so the walls are thin and you can hear outside and next door neighbors, have windows in weird locations (like the upper closet), a/c and heat are wall mounted, and the hotel does have a weird layout as it is built on a hillside. Except for the attractive lobby, I wouldn't call the rooms or pool as plush as the Hotel Indigo is commonly perceived yet it still a favorite of mine for a short stay in Del Mar near the beach. Front desk staff was superb but housekeeping opened our door twice after only waiting 2 seconds after the knock so be sure and hang your "do not disturb" sign for privacy!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view and a balcony in adjacent building
1  Thank Abbot71
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for sharing your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. Welcome back! I am so glad to hear you have thoroughly enjoyed the new upgrades, our spacious rooms, all the amenities we offer, the close proximity to the ocean and the excellent staff service you have received during your stay. We truly appreciate loyal guests such as yourself that has been here with us through all the years. Thank you for being our fan. We look forward to serving you in the very near future.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Hello we are from San Diego, we just got this room for my wife's class reunion. Overall I think hotel indigo is a nice place. It is fully remodeled and nicely furnished. However we are staying in room 4xx, it is 9:46am and I have been awake for hours listening to doors slam and people walking. I would never have guessed that this layout would be so loud but it is loud. So if you want to get up early in the morning and hike Torrey pines I would say this hotel should work wonderfully. However, if you want to party at the belly up and then sleep in forget this place. This is by far the loudest hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I apologize for the morning noise you encountered during your stay. I can fully understand how the morning commotions might not be the most welcoming after a night of partying. Maybe you can stay with us again when you and your wife do plan on a day of early outdoor fun. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Del Mar. We had a beautiful ocean view room that was very spacious. The hotel staff is extremely nice and helpful, the property is beautiful, and the restaurant has some good food. You won't go wrong staying here.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed a romantic evening in our spacious room with ocean view and a delicious meal in our Ocean View Bar and Grill. We appreciate the opportunity to be part of your special memories. Thank you for choosing us as your romantic getaway. Please come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Staff is very professional, accommodating and courteous. The hotel is modern, well kept and quiet. I had a very pleasant, relaxing stay here. I loved the food from the Oceanview Grill & Bar at the hotel . I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I can’t agree with you more on how delicious the food are at the Ocean View Bar and Grill. We appreciate the opportunity to be part of your enjoyable stay. Thank you for staying with us and please visit again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
#106 of 286 in San Diego
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!