“Good location but...”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Los Angeles, California
“Good location but...”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I must say, I can't wait to review this hotel. I am a little surprise that with the boutique feel attached to a known brand of IHG, you'd think that they have it all together. It's Spring break for my kids so San Diego is a good destination not too far from home. I saw it on TripAdvisor wanting to stay close to the ocean. Stayed at Del Mar location before so we opt to stay at this here instead of their Gaslamp branch. Booked on their website for couple of day over Easter. I signed up to their e-upgrades with additional price that are quite a deal. Checked in day, no bell person or staff asked us to help with our luggage. We are family of 4. Checked in, Jeff was pretty welcoming, however, didn't acknowledge me as a member as well as the e-upgrades I signed up for until I asked for it. Breakfast e-upgrade is a credit so you have to pay the difference or used up everything. There's no buffet breakfast, a la carte only. Room is okay. We got 2 beds and a very tiny bathroom. I have 2 young kids and they are complaining that it's too tight. Size of a closet. They don't have HBO or any upgraded cable, just standard. Temperature is controlled via AC unit by the window. We ate breakfast for 2days. Meal size is big, can be shared and very tasty, however, service is a little slow. Even though, there are only handful of tables. Day 2 breakfast was little better with Brace our server and Chef Eric cooking the meals. It was delicious. We used the pool and the pool towels are smaller than your bath towels and the material is so cheap as if it was dish towel. We had to use more towels. Another issue was charges on my credit card, I got pending charges 3x on my card that my card alerted me as fraud. Very strange.
However, I am giving them a 3 star as the hotel aesthetically is nice, location is good. We slept pretty well in their beds. Ample free parking space and free Wi-Fi. Security too is strict so we feel safe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BaldBrunette
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for sharing you enjoyable experience at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. We truly appreciate your comments and will definitely take all the feedback for improvement. I apologize for the lack of HBO at this time. We have been working with Time Warner Cable for the past year and a half to install HD and HBO for our hotel. Due to many challenges and obstacles, the project has been delayed. The good news is that we are at the finish line to complete our TV upgrade project. By beginning of June, we will have free HD and HBO channels for all of our guests. We have ordered new and larger pool towels to replace the old ones. We do apologize for the lack of bellman service. Given we are a boutique hotel, we do operate on a small staff scale compared to a full service hotel. However, we should definitely offer the assistance as you have mentioned. If we failed to do so, please don't hesitate to let us know how we can assist in any ways. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our food in our restaurant. We are sorry that it wasn't a buffet but glad to hear you enjoyed the generous portion size and the service by Brace and Erick. I will share your kind words with them.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you can see that many improvements are on its way and it will be only get better from here. I hope you will give us another chance on your next visit to enjoy the new improvements we have in place.

Man Lai Tam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I recommend to visit, hotel is clean, nicely furnished rooms, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the animals are allowed, the overall impression is perfect.
We were pleasantly surprised that there is another hotel. Five years ago, we've slept well, but the change was for the better. We are here again on the way back after the U.S..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Quetina
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. Welcome back to our new and improved hotel. We completed the conversion in March 2012 and have been a Hotel Indigo since. We are so happy to hear you loved the changes and upgrades. Please come back and visit us soon. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future. Thank you for making us your choice hotel when you are in San Diego.

Best Wishes,
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Del Mar California is a beautiful place to visit and surf. Indigo is located within walking distance to Del Mar Plaza and just blocks to the beach. Highly suggest you walk the surrounding neighborhoods and beach. Rooms are ample and overall the entire facility is the best value compared to other hotels in the area. Two pools, nice lobby and bar/restaurant area with an outdoor balcony perfect to view the sunset.

Wi-Fi was free but honestly very unstable.... glad I wasn't staying for work.

Renovations are completed and seems from past reviews were overdue. Now is the time to visit.
Not a true boutique hotel , but a great value for the price and location is priceless.

This is my second stay at Indigo and I will stay again when I visit in the future.

Room Tip: West facing the ocean......
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike T
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you very much for sharing your fabulous experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you had an enjoyable and restful stay. We are almost done with all the room improvements. There are just few little things to finish up and all of our rooms with be freshly equipped with new wooden floors and spa shower experience. We truly appreciate your understanding and consideration during our renovation period. Please come back and visit us soon. We look forward to serving you in the very near future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The entry lobby is beautiful and overlooks the pool and ocean view. They are remodeling the rooms, we saw plenty of old bath tubs by the dumpster but our room was nicely done and a very comfortable shower with lots of hot water pressure. The pools were well kept up and loved the jacuzzi. Beds were comfortable and linens were fine. Hope they change size of towels around the pool but only complaint. We will be coming back often. Friendly personnel, good food and quiet, what more could we ask for.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelerVII
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you have enjoyed our spacious rooms, the amenities we offered plus our ocean view location. We are almost done with our building one upgrades; replacing all carpeted rooms with wooded vinyl flooring and changing out all tubs to spa shower experience. These upgrades will ensure each and everyone of our rooms are set up to be as enjoyable as the one you have stayed in. Thank you for your feedback on our pool towels. New purchases have been made for upgraded pool towels. By your next visit, we will have newer and larger pool towels awaiting for your next dip in our swimming pools. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were sorely disappointed in this hotel. The only 'boutique' thing about it was the lobby decorations. The beds were just ok, the bath towels were old, the bath fixtures were flimsy (we needed to screw in the sink plug and the faucet handle). The kitchen supples were 1 paper plate, 4 paper bowls and some plastics ware. They included coffee..Maxwell House and a powdered creamer (nasty). The lobby was nice but it didn't carry through to the room. We had an "ocean view" room and had to strain to see the ocean.
It was overpriced. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank inanna51
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoyed our rooms and the amenities that was provided. We are currently going through a renovation to upgrade our rooms to be brighter by replacing all our carpets with wooden floor vinyl and replacing all tubs with spa shower experience. I understand our current renovation does not make up for your lack of boutique hotel experience during your recent stay. However, I hope you will give us another chance on your next visit to Del Mar. Please contact me directly and I will personally make sure you will receive the boutique experience you deserve. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Hartsdale, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Because you will get a room overlooking a dumpster of household garbage and bags of dog feces. The defensive front desk will tell you "..well, we are renovating..". He will give you a "duh?" On why they cannot at least put a top or screen on the dumpster that is the view from room 437. You cannot see the ocean from this $220 per nite room. Don't count on a kitchenette, unless you bring your own silverware, plates and utensils. They had three previously opened plastic utensil bags and four styrofoam plates and not a knife in the room. The bed linens looked like they had sat in a dryer for days, completely wrinkled and crumpled. Very grimy, dirty place

Room Tip: Skip this place
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank lynne B
Thank you for sharing your comments with other readers. Please accept my sincere apology for not delivering the experience you deserved. We are currently going through room upgrade; replacing all carpet with wooden floor vinyl and installing spa shower experience in our guest rooms. I am so sorry that you had to be inconvenienced by the parking of our dumpster. We will definitely share our concern with Waste Management and see if they have a cover for it. I do agree that the trees by the ocean cliff neighborhood do require some trimming. I will share those concerns with the city so we can open up the ocean view from our balconies. In another month, we will have our renovation completed. I hope you will give us another chance to deliver the boutique experience we are capable of. Thank you!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We spent three nights at Hotel Indigo. The location was great. We walked into town for meals and sightseeing. Staff was VERY attentive. Our sons loved the pools and proximity to a park so they could shoot hoops. Hotel didn't feel like boring chain; it has personality. My husband and I enjoyed waiting for the sunset by the fire pits. We would stay here again. I agree with other reviews about the flimsy quality of linens.

Room Tip: Most rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank larryhack
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you and your family had thoroughly enjoyed our spacious rooms, amenities, ocean view location, excellent service and the fire place on our open terrace. We appreciate the opportunity to host your family vacation. Please come back and visit us soon. We look forward to serving you and your family in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,134 reviews
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!