“Great customer service”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Carlsbad, California
“Great customer service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here on the night we were evacuated by the fires in Carlsbad. The staff was very friendly and understanding. Many of my neighbors were also there that night, all of us with dogs and kids in tow. It turned what was an extremely stressful evening into a fun get-together with the neighborhood.

Our room was nicely done with hard wood floors and area rugs. The fixtures were new and the bed was comfortable. The room even had a small kitchenette with a mini fridge and sink. Walk out to the pool. Plenty of space for all of us to hang out while the kids swam.

Back deck has a nice view of the ocean. Easy walking to all the shops and restaurants of Del Mar. Close to Torrey Pines beach and state park.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. First and utmost, we are happy to hear you and your loved ones were safe from the devastating SD fire. We are so glad we were able to accommodate your family plus the beloved pets. Please come back and visit us again. We would love to be your local "staycation" or a local hang out to enjoy a glass of wine with great food by our outdoor fire place.

Thank you again and we look forward to serving you in the very near future.

Man Lai Tam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

First, the good:
Staff is very friendly and nice - wonderful people. Lobby and pool area is gorgeous. Location is pretty good. Tons of parking. Individual feel, but part of the IHG family, so you can score points and get upgraded. Aveda toiletries, always a plus. Low-key but great looking bar/restaurant with nice fire pit seating outside. Lots of open shared seating, including with a sea view. Wonderful place to relax.

Now the not so good:
Room was large but very dark and cave-like. Furnishings in the Executive Suite were inexplicably sparse, with no real work-station for a computer. No wi-fi reception in the room; thankfully I essentially just slept here, otherwise this could have been an issue. Bathroom was incredibly small. Not a fan of the single-cup Keurig's, and would expect a green hotel to not use these! Towels were always changed, even when I left them hanging as instructed. Small gym had new equipment and a steam room (good!), but no lockers or changing room - what?? How does that work?

All in all, I have to say I was a little disappointed with the hotel. I probably was expecting too much - and in truth, the great feel and promise of the lobby and pool area in the main building left me very hopeful for an incredible experience. However, the room just wasn't up to the same standards, despite my being upgraded for free (thank you!). If this was the 300+ dollar executive suite, I would expect much much better. I am also a bit disappointed that IHG hasn't yet worked out a consistent free breakfast policy for Exec Platinum members.

Thankfully, the staff was incredibly friendly and the public areas beautiful. I had a wonderful time sitting by the fire using my computer, or hanging out near the pool. Sunsets from the second floor were also pretty. My positive experience came from being on the grounds though - my room just wasn't very appealing to spend any time in at all. If/when Indigo can get the rooms up to the same standard as the public areas in the main building, this place would/will be stellar.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get an ocean view or a higher floor. My room on the first floor felt like a cave...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience and comments at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate your detailed comments and feedback on the pros and cons of our hotel. I agreed with you on your observations in both "good" and "not so good" part of the hotel. First, it is our pleasure and honor to take care of our guests. It is our goal to deliver excellent service to each and everyone of our guests. Second, the outdoor patio is definitely the best part of our lobby layout. There is nothing like having a cocktail in our hand, sitting next to the fire pit, watching sunset while return an email or two. I am glad you were able to be productive while take advantage of our beautiful location. As for the rooms, you are correct that our suites in building two are built with smaller bathroom because the designer created more space for the bedroom and sitting area. Furthermore, the owner selected more brownish tones for the room design so it does create a darker feel to the ambiance. For now, these "not so good" will be part of our future upgrades. I am so glad our friendly staff and beautiful outdoor space were able to make up for these minor flaws. Please come back and visit us again. We look forward to serving you in the very near future.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My spouse and I stayed here recently for three days and it was perfect. We could walk to the beach, walk to a variety of restaurants as well as Starbucks in the morning, and yet it was quiet and enjoyable within the hotel property. We loved the bar/balcony area with modern but cozy patio furniture overlooking the sparkling pool and serving drinks for afternoon or sunset enjoyment. Sitting around the fire pit was an excellent plus as night grew chilly. Absolutely can not go wrong here!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you have thoroughly taken advantage of our outdoor fireplace while watching the beautiful sunset with a cocktail in your hands. What a great way to spend your vacation. Please come back and visit us soon. We have hired a new Chef Dan that created dishes for Bill Gates and other famous celebrities. New and exciting upgrades will be added to our menu. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Sonoma County
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

In lovely Del Mar by the Ocean. Many years ago was the Stratford Inn by the Sea very cozy, warm and friendly.

Unfortunately now part of the corporate IHG family. Thought the same Stratford experience would carry over for a recent business trip (no parking fee, govt rate) compared to downtown San Diego, but dont keep your hopes up! Asked for a quiet room and they put me next to someone who was up every day at 5:30 am (must have been on east coast time). My sink was plugged two of three nights during stay. Room had a dampy smell upon entry each night. Luckily I was only there to sleep each night. Restaurant and bar looked busy with the young biotech crowd ("look at me") from nearby Torry Pines industrial complex. Would definitely recommend Miltons up Highway 1 for their great Corned Beef on Rye and awesome desserts!! Made the room palatable. If you need a room in the general vicinity may I recommend Marriott Residence Inn next to UC San Diego (for prolonged stays). Lots of stores in the vicinities for goodies and snacks to tide you over.

Room Tip: Dont know if there is one that doesnt include a walk up two flights of stairs or an elevator ride...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate your comments and feedback to our facility. Please accept my sincere apology for the clogged sink and damp smell in the room. These incidents should not have happened. I can see how the other hotel locations you have mentioned in your post might be more convenient but they do not have the ocean view we have here.

Please email me with your contact information at mtam@pacificahost.com. I would like to buy you 10,000 points for the inconvenience because everything during your stay should of been perfect. With these points, hopefully you will give us another try because there is nothing like the ability to enjoy your surrounding while you are here for work.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel Indigo is in Del Mar so the location is great. The staff was friendly but we didn't really request much. There we four of us in the room, we had to ask for another set of towels which they provided quickly but each night we would have to ask again as when they cleaned we we left with only enough towels for three. I'm fine with using towels more than one time but they took them away each day. The rooms, pool, and gym were clean but the laundry room was not. The door was always open and dirty dishes were left there which attracted insects. It was serviceable and my son was able to do some laundry but he was the one that was unimpressed by the cleanliness of the laundry room, and you should see his bedroom so it must have been bad. The breakfast was not included but was well worth paying for. The portions were large and tasted great. The patio was a nice place to enjoy a meal. I would stay again. We had friends stay next door and after their experience at the Clarion we were happy with our choice. The beach was verry close of you are willing to hike down a cliff on surfer trails. We are Pretty active people and were ok with the challenge but others may not.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AZ2Dailain
Thank you for sharing your nice experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate your honest feedback and we will definitely take the improvement areas back for improvement. First and utmost, we are happy to hear you and your family enjoyed our location and the portion/ quality of our food in Ocean View Bar and Grill. Please do accept my apology for not leaving you the extra towel in the rooms during your stay. I will make sure I share these learnings with my housekeeping staff to ensure they recognize and anticipate our guest needs. As for the laundry room, I would love to know if it was dirty as not maintained or was it just not well decorated? The only reason why I ask this question is because we do have an older looking laundry room that has been converted from twenty years ago. I fully agree with you on that it does need some upgrade to make it more modernized. However, if it was dirty as in there were trash everywhere and the machines were dirty, than I take full responsibility for not maintaining our laundry room. Please accept my apology for that.

Thank you again for your comments. Please do come back and visit us again. We look forward to serving you and your family in the very near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

If you have access to a car while in San Diego area, I HIGHLY recommend this hotel! It is top notch, classy, boutique style, laid back, near the beach, dog friendly and very accommodating. We stayed for 4 nights while visiting my family and had an awesome time. The hotel is oddly shaped and spread out, not your typical tower style, but I think this helps with noise. The rooms are HUGE, the bathrooms very nicely updated with state of the art showers, great wood floors, comfy beds and beautiful windows and views. The beach is not as close as one would wish, it kind of looks like a beach hotel, but it is not. I am not sure how long of a walk it would be if one walked straight to the beach, maybe 2-3 blocks. It is about .75 miles from downtown Del Mar which is quaint with shops, restaurants and easy beach access - very easily walkable. You also have very simple and easy freeway access. I would highly recommend staying out of the hustle and bustle of downtown and the gaslamp district and drive the distance to this hotel! We were amazed by the little dog water dishes everywhere! So cute! There are nice patios with firepits - great for hanging out after a long day. I can't say I was super impressed with their restaurant/service....however, the hotel manager went out of his way to make it right and the hotel staff was always extremely friendly and always accommodating. If I come back I will definitely stay here and my family who are living in SD now will likely also recommend this hotel to business associates too!~ Thanks so much!

Room Tip: Ask for a beach/water view if you can...it is a few blocks away, but you can still see the ocean. Ev...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We truly appreciate the detail description you have shared on your wonderful experience and the value of your stay. Our central location to the Del Mar Village plus to the ocean is one of our best features. We are so happy you have thoroughly enjoyed our spacious rooms, great service plus the amenities we offer. Please come back and visit us soon. We look forward to serving you in the very near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Great location, great staff, awesome room, pet friendly.... I have zero complaints and we can not wait to return! Comfy beds, great shower, balconies this Hotel is a A ++++. When in San Diego this location and rates can't be beat! I also enjoyed a Massage down stairs in the spa. Very relaxing and great way to end my trip.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for sharing your excellent experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you had a fabulous time during your stay with us. Your happiness with our services is what drives us to do what we do each and everyday. Please come back and visit us soon. Thank you for making us your number one choice hotel in San Diego.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,114 reviews
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!