“First Allergic Reaction Ever”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
San Francisco, California
“First Allergic Reaction Ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in a King Leisure Room for a rate of $200's the first night and we used IHG points the second night. From the start, they were very accommodating about this because in order to use points for one night you had to make two separate bookings, one for the night you were paying cash and one for the points redemption night. Barbara at the front desk did very well to make sure we wouldn't have to move rooms or check out and check in each night.
A second plus about our check-in was that we arrived really early at 11:30 am for a massage and even though the room wasn't ready yet, they were able to accommodate us by 1:00 pm. Much appreciated.

Positives
- Check-in - See above.
- Lots of Services - Except for the absence of a bellhop and valet staff, the hotel has many services including a full bar, restaurant, room service and a full service spa.
- Location - Even though it's not oceanfront, it is a 3-5 minute drive to Downtown Del Mar and a 3-5 minute drive down the hill to Torrey Pines Beach. And you could still see the ocean from parts of the hotel.
- Rooms - Spacious and decorated with the Hotel Indigo trademark picture wall. The room had wifi, refrigerator, microwave and the spa style shower.
- Two Pools Plus a Jacuzzi.
- No Parking Fee.

Issues For Us But May Not Be For Others:
- Confusing Second Building - The second building is jaggedly configured and does not have continuous walkways on the second floor. So part of the experience is figuring out the best way to get to and from your room without reaching a dead end. This was frustrating sometimes.
- Noise - As noted in other reviews, because the main walkways on the second floors are wooden, all foot traffic can be heard. The laundry carts are the most noisy. The main building is more noisy for the carts because the walkways are straight versus building 2 where the walkways are jagged or criss crossed which forces the carts to slow down and stop to travel those corners.
- The Spa Location - Spa Namara is located on the first floor of the main building. During my wife's massage she observed that the cart and foot traffic noise could be heard in the massage room.
- Spa Payment - The Spa Therapist also acts as the receptionist. Also, during payment, the system automatically inputs a 20% gratuity. This only way to change your tip amount is to tell the therapist to manually change it, which I could imagine would make it awkward if you wanted to decrease the tip (which we didn't do because the massage was great).
- Windows of Building 2 - The main building doesn't have this issue, but since the walkways of Building 2 were on the outside of the building, our windows were also overlooking the walkways, so we could see people passing by and they could see us if we had our blinds open.
- Anaphylactic Shock - I have never had an allergic reaction in my entire life until this stay. After check in we didn't really stay much in the room except for getting ready for dinner. I recall feeling a bit itchy and scratching while preparing for dinner but I thought it was just from dry skin from taking a shower. When we got back from dinner, however, within 15 minutes of lying on the bed I started to develop hives all over my upper body and under my shorts. I started swelling on my face and eventually vomited my once delicious dinner. 5 hours and an Emergency Room visit later, we were back in our room. I was stabilized with meds and exhausted. The next morning we told Barbara at the front desk about the issue and she was very concerned and tried to fix things. She immediately had the room treated with an air purifier machine and had our sheets changed. So second night was better, but I still had the hives and was managing it with Benadryl. At first we were hesitant to assign root cause to the room, however, upon leaving the hotel and arriving at the airport all hives and markings on my skin were gone (only 3 hours after leaving the hotel). Therefore we deduced that it was the room. I emailed the GM who was very concerned and receptive to reading my experience and my recommendations. He also gave me information on how the rooms are cleaned.

Other Tips
- The second building is two stories, but on the elevator it calls the second floor the fourth floor.
- Remember, this hotel is not oceanfront, so even though our room was not an ocean view room, based ocean views of the restaurant and main viewing areas, all the ocean views overlook a few blocks of neighborhood.

So, I think this is a good hotel with many positives, thus the extra star instead of 1. Unfortunately, we won't be staying here again because of the main allergy issue we experienced.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank BaySFtraveler
Man Lai T, Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback with other Trip Advisor readers.
First and foremost we want to make sure that you are feeling better and have not had any more challenges with allergies. We are sorry to hear that you spent part of your vacation in the emergency room and as you discussed with our General Manager, we do take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously. Since we are pet friendly, there are extra steps taken to clean a room if a pet has stayed. The only chemicals we use to clean the rooms each day are: deodorizer, window cleaners, all-purpose cleaners, bathroom anti-bacterial cleaners, lemonize for shower walls and floor cleaners. All chemicals are from Ecolab and approved for daily use.
Thank you for complimenting our front desk associate Barbara, we are happy that she was able to assist you with a smooth booking process and that you were able to have a treatment at our beautiful spa. I do apologize for any noise that your wife may have experienced during her spa treatment and we are happy that her therapist provided an excellent and relaxing service.
Once again, we apologize for the unfortunate events that occurred during and your stay and we do hope that one of our properties we will be able to serve you better in the future.

Best regards,
Sales and Spa Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel. My friend purchased a voucher for the restaurant, so we decided to give it a try. The voucher was for 2 appetizers, 4 entrees and 4 desserts and 4 drinks. We opted for the fried calamari and crab cakes - the calamari was not fresh and fried to crispy - it wasn't very good. The crab cakes were good though. The entrees finally came out and the burgers that the guys had were mediocre, the flat iron steak I had was delicious but the fish tacos that my friend ordered were terrible - the fish was rubbery. So - find another place to eat! The service was okay - we gave them the voucher and they charged us for everything anyway. My husband had to talk to the manager to get it fixed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CNS_Lynn_M
Man Lai T, Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please accept my sincerest apology for not delivering the quality of service and food that you and your friends expected.
Our restaurant team strives to provide excellent food and service for each and every guest so we do hope that you will return and give us another try. I am also sorry to hear that your voucher was not redeemed right away, I do hope that the manager on duty was able to resolve the situation. We do apologize for not delivering a memorable experience during your visit. Please contact me directly at kwillingham@pacificahost.com.

Best Regards,
Sales Manager
Livermore, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I have been in this place since it was Best Western franchise. But, changing to Indigo was a tremendous positive change, completely improved. Every time that I travel to San Diego I look for this place located into a quiet neighborhood. Additionally to be a good place to rest, the gym is the perfect complement after running at the Torres Pines state natural reserve, which is only 1.6 miles away). 100% guarantee, you will enjoy stop in this area.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our fitness center and we are honored that you look forward to staying with us when you are in town! Please come back and visit us soon, we look forward to it.

Best Wishes,
Sales Manager
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The staff was incredible and couldn't be more welcoming and helpful. We stayed in one of the nicer rooms with a small deck and an "ocean view". I am using the expression "ocean view" very very loosely. One could see a fragment of the ocean if one looked between the buildings of the apartment/condo in front of the hotel. This is not in my book considered an ocean view. The room was clean and very comfortable. Warning: you have to be really careful when taking a shower. If the curtain is not exactly inside the small lip the bathroom will flood, seriously. Speaking of the shower, it is one of the most incredible shower experiences, like a massaging shower. I want one!!!!
The major downside to the hotel is that it is not in town nor has easy access to the beach. What we did was get out of crowded Del Mar (4th of July weekend) and headed south a short distance to the next beach town. If you do this, park on the street and save $20 for park parking!! Easy walk to the ocean.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I read a couple of negative reviews, hence a bit skeptical, but I couldn't say no since it was under $200. The moral is lower your expectations and get wowed. The front desk staff was great. They gave me some excellent suggestions on eats and places to go. The cleaning staff was very accommodating and I got a late checkout to boot. My room was nice with a mini fridge and microwave. The pool areas were kept clean, though not used too much. Parking was free and convenient. The location was perfect. You are very close to La Jolla, Torrey Pines, Solana Beach and Cardiff By the Sea. I will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Seattle Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

given that this is a renovated Best Western, it's surprisingly good. All the rooms have been re-done with new surfaces and they're quite nice (new tiled showers, countertops, floors, etc). Very nice furnishings. But you can still tell it's an old motel (windows, doors, etc). The staff however makes up for the other shortcomings in being very welcoming and efficient. And the bar area is quite welcoming as well, for a small group or a single.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My friend and I spent a weekend in Del Mar/San Diego and had a lovely room with an ocean view. The room was large and airy and with the patio door and windows open, we had wonderful ocean breezes. The ocean-facing balcony turned out to be our favorite place to have breakfast each morning. But my favorite feature of the room, by far, was the bed. It was the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. Really. Usually I don't sleep well in hotel rooms, I like my own bed and my own pillows...but this, this was the exception.

The service at the Hotel Indigo was also exceptional. The staff in the lobby were smiling, courteous and friendly. When I called the front desk with a question about operating the room"s ceiling fan, someone from maintenance was at our door within minutes to help us with it. At check-out, when I raved about the comfort of the beds, the desk clerk offered to email me with the information about the mattress!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,113 reviews
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!