We stayed 2 nights in a King Leisure Room for a rate of $200's the first night and we used IHG points the second night. From the start, they were very accommodating about this because in order to use points for one night you had to make two separate bookings, one for the night you were paying cash and one for the points redemption night. Barbara at the front desk did very well to make sure we wouldn't have to move rooms or check out and check in each night.
A second plus about our check-in was that we arrived really early at 11:30 am for a massage and even though the room wasn't ready yet, they were able to accommodate us by 1:00 pm. Much appreciated.
- Check-in - See above.
- Lots of Services - Except for the absence of a bellhop and valet staff, the hotel has many services including a full bar, restaurant, room service and a full service spa.
- Location - Even though it's not oceanfront, it is a 3-5 minute drive to Downtown Del Mar and a 3-5 minute drive down the hill to Torrey Pines Beach. And you could still see the ocean from parts of the hotel.
- Rooms - Spacious and decorated with the Hotel Indigo trademark picture wall. The room had wifi, refrigerator, microwave and the spa style shower.
- Two Pools Plus a Jacuzzi.
- No Parking Fee.
Issues For Us But May Not Be For Others:
- Confusing Second Building - The second building is jaggedly configured and does not have continuous walkways on the second floor. So part of the experience is figuring out the best way to get to and from your room without reaching a dead end. This was frustrating sometimes.
- Noise - As noted in other reviews, because the main walkways on the second floors are wooden, all foot traffic can be heard. The laundry carts are the most noisy. The main building is more noisy for the carts because the walkways are straight versus building 2 where the walkways are jagged or criss crossed which forces the carts to slow down and stop to travel those corners.
- The Spa Location - Spa Namara is located on the first floor of the main building. During my wife's massage she observed that the cart and foot traffic noise could be heard in the massage room.
- Spa Payment - The Spa Therapist also acts as the receptionist. Also, during payment, the system automatically inputs a 20% gratuity. This only way to change your tip amount is to tell the therapist to manually change it, which I could imagine would make it awkward if you wanted to decrease the tip (which we didn't do because the massage was great).
- Windows of Building 2 - The main building doesn't have this issue, but since the walkways of Building 2 were on the outside of the building, our windows were also overlooking the walkways, so we could see people passing by and they could see us if we had our blinds open.
- Anaphylactic Shock - I have never had an allergic reaction in my entire life until this stay. After check in we didn't really stay much in the room except for getting ready for dinner. I recall feeling a bit itchy and scratching while preparing for dinner but I thought it was just from dry skin from taking a shower. When we got back from dinner, however, within 15 minutes of lying on the bed I started to develop hives all over my upper body and under my shorts. I started swelling on my face and eventually vomited my once delicious dinner. 5 hours and an Emergency Room visit later, we were back in our room. I was stabilized with meds and exhausted. The next morning we told Barbara at the front desk about the issue and she was very concerned and tried to fix things. She immediately had the room treated with an air purifier machine and had our sheets changed. So second night was better, but I still had the hives and was managing it with Benadryl. At first we were hesitant to assign root cause to the room, however, upon leaving the hotel and arriving at the airport all hives and markings on my skin were gone (only 3 hours after leaving the hotel). Therefore we deduced that it was the room. I emailed the GM who was very concerned and receptive to reading my experience and my recommendations. He also gave me information on how the rooms are cleaned.
- The second building is two stories, but on the elevator it calls the second floor the fourth floor.
- Remember, this hotel is not oceanfront, so even though our room was not an ocean view room, based ocean views of the restaurant and main viewing areas, all the ocean views overlook a few blocks of neighborhood.
So, I think this is a good hotel with many positives, thus the extra star instead of 1. Unfortunately, we won't be staying here again because of the main allergy issue we experienced.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), IHG, TravelUp, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stratford Inn Of Del Mar Hotel Del Mar
- Best Western Stratford Hotel
- Best Western Del Mar
- Del Mar Best Western