“Comfortable, nice value for area”

Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the second night of our walking vacation from Ocean Beach to Solana Beach. If you are in the mood for a long but pleasant walk, it is a walkable distance to Torrey Pines State Beach. We had walked to the hotel from La Jolla Shores (9 miles) the day of our arrival. They have a very nicely landscaped pool and hot tub area. Although we didn't use the pool, we did use the hot tub which felt great after a long day of walking. We had a room facing the back parking lot. You can see the ocean in the distance, but it isn't exactly what you think about when you hear "ocean view" since it is still several blocks away past the parking lot and houses. We were within walking distance of several restaurants: went to a terrific Peruvian restaurant (Cafe Secret). The hotel was doing construction during our stay, which the management informed us about (as well as previous reviewers on Trip Advisor) but we were not disturbed by this and we never heard anything. Our room had a small kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator. Nice, comfortable hotel for a reasonable price given location in Del Mar.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear PhDsU: Thank you for your kind remarks regarding The Clarion Del Mar Inn & our great location in Del Mar.
That’s a NICE WALK from La Jolla to Del Mar, I’m confident you enjoyed our spa to relax before eating.
My only hope is on your next visit, we’ll have our Bistro C Café opened for you & your significant other to enjoy. Cheers!!!

Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

The accommodation was very comfortable, breakfasts were delicious, and the staff made our stay very enjoyable. My number one choice when I am in San Diego.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Gusssssss
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Gussssss: Thank you for your compliments re: our delicious breakfast & wonderful staff. We hope to remain your number 1 choice when visiting San Diego.

Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

Had no idea Clarion Del Mar Inn hotel was located so close to La Jolla.
Working in La Jolla on business, brought wife for R & R when conference complete. Requested info. on places to go, things to do. Mike & Pam were outstanding hosts & full of suggestions. Really got us excited about locale. Walk to incredible beaches, restaurants and our favorate was the Birch Aquarium. Thnks for the great room with a View of the Blue Pacific!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank engine84
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear Engine 84: Thank you for your kind comments! Yes, it's interesting not many know HOW CLOSE we are to La Jolla; the two cities are next to each other.

We Shuttle MANY business clients to UCSD, TSRI, SALK & BURNHAM Institutes, and General Atomics are just moments away along with so many others in La Jolla – Torrey Pines Science & High Tech Business Parks.

It's all about Location, Location, Location. Hope to have you return again & again.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

On my regular visits to La Jolla, I always stay at the "Inn". Pleasantly surprised on this trip to find that major renovations are currently underway. After receiving the usual very friendly welcome from the reception staff I was fortunate to be upgraded to a newly renovated room on the second floor. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet with free wireless service and a view of the Pacific Ocean from the balcony. There is a large parking area behind the Inn providing ample free car parking. The Inn location is great with a 10 minute walk to Del Mar, the beach and a selection of fantastic restaurants. One of my favourite's being El Fuego Mexican, although a little more pricey than the average Mexican in the San Diego area, the food and atmosphere make it well worth the extra $s. A free breakfast is also provided by the Inn, although quite basic, consisting of pastries, cereals and fruits. In former visits yoghurt was also on the breakfast menu but this is no longer available (unfortunately). All in all the Inn is a delightful, reasonably priced hotel in a delightful location and well worth considering for any stay in North County San Diego.

Room Tip: Second and third floors on the western side of the building provide good views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Lain C: Just a brief note to “THANK YOU”, one our many valued guests who appreciate our Value, Location, Amenities & Great Staff.

You’re comments nearly sound like an advertisement.

Speaking for all of us here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn; we truly appreciate your very kind comments.

Hope to meet you during your next visit.
Clarion Del Mar Inn

PS: Great Picture of you surfing an awesome wave…

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We got our stay on a discount site but, as we have with other hotels, hoped to pay to upgrade upon arrival. Were checking in with the help of a lovely woman and asked if we could do so. Out of the blue, some other man (short with glasses) became quite rude with us. Slighted the fact we bought on a site the business chose to advertise on and then said there were no nicer rooms for us when clearly there were. I felt horrible for the nice woman. It was embarrassing for all involved.

The room was nice, location great and the breakfast good. But, if that is the quality of employees they have who have no issue humiliating clients publically, we will not be back.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear LosAngelesSparky: Thank you for the great location and good breakfast comments.

Unfortunately, we’re renovating and are very limited on rooms. I investigated your concerns and they have been concluded appropriately.

Please visit again after June 15th, we hope to have hotel completed for summer.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Great Location ! You can watch the pacific from the room itself. Room are well kept. Good decor. Breakfast selection is good.
My only complain is lack of dining option in the hotel itself. Nearby eateries are not that close by. Also, most of them are a bit expensive. If you want a quick bite, then it's a problem.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank nilotpalr
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear nilotpalr: Thank you for the great review! Having the incredible location to view the Beautiful Blue Pacific and Sunsets that take your breath away are one of our greatest attractions.
Regarding your comments of limited dining options at the hotel; yes, currently we do not have full service dining, but are planning to upgrade our breakfast room into the New Bistro C for casual dining within the immediate future.
Hopefully during your next visit; you’ll be able to enjoy our Bistro C food & beverage while visiting our Boutique Hotel in the beautiful Sea Side Village of Del Mar/La Jolla.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had stayed here before and looked forward to an ocean view and all the ammenities I customarily enjoy, but while booking I reserved a room solely for the lowest price. Well, I soon found that there is bad luck and a few less than desirable rooms at this property.

There was a lot of noisy renovation going on which in itself can be overlooked. But then I landed in room 111, which is adjacent to the office and the main entrance where everyone stops to say their last heartfelt goodbyes, or in the morning, passes boisterously by on the path to the breakfast room. Add to that, the ice machine, the elevator and the housekeepers crossroads all converge outside a surprisingly thin door.
The cacophony of sounds, workmens' conversations echoing down air ducts, the skill saws, hammers on nails, housekeepers' vacuum cleaners, and traffic noise became almost humorous, and served to remind me in the future, to read Trip Advisor and keep my guard up. This is a really nice hotel, but one where an upgrade can really come in handy. Don't cheat yourself. Go for the ocean view.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MrWayne
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

My Dearest MrWayne: I can only offer my sincerest apologies for the noise and disruption you encountered during our “MINOR” renovations. There have been several days where guests like you have endured loud noises.

Please accept my heartfelt apology as I completely understand your concerns.

My only hope is you’ll offer us another chance to visit after renovations are completed so that you’ll enjoy our beautiful and luxurious accommodations & amenities that we have to offer.

I know I’m not allowed to offer any kind of a discount in my responses. But, a second chance would be greatly appreciated. I believe you’ll be more than just satisfied; you’ll be pleasantly surprised and appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#67 of 278 in San Diego
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!