“Best weekend ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newport Beach, California
“Best weekend ever”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Del mar has only a few hotels to choose from and this one has it all. The area is quiet and serene. We have stayed here before but never left a review. We decided to because of the extreme transformation it has undergone. The older reviews of it being run down are no longer valid. Everything is coming together better than we could have imagined. The new rooms are fantastic. At the front desk Cameron went above and beyond our expectations and Rose in the breakfast room is practically a celebrity with her incredible service. One night we had an odd experience with the man working the front desk that wears glasses. He was creeping out our daughter. But other than that we will definitely stay again soon. I definitely recommend an ocean view.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Newportfam5
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Newportfam5: Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. It’s always a pleasure to read our staff has gone above and beyond for guest expectations.

Cameron is one of our best of the best for guest services, and Rose, of course is our go to person for breakfast.

We hope to have you return again and again.
Clarion Del Mar Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
nj
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This is my first time traveling to the Del Mar area and first time at this hotel.

There are a lot of great things about the Clarion Del Mar.
1. The customer service was great, from the front desk to the woman who took care of the breakfast buffet, which was quite substantial.
2. The rooms are cleaned well.
3. The hotel is in a great location and easy to get to and not far from the beach.
4. The pool and hot tub area were beautiful and well kept.
5. Huge TV with lots of channels!
6. Comfy beds
7. Nice towels

What I did not like about the hotel:

1. Management needs to move the ice machine! Because of availability when I first booked, I had to change rooms after 2 nights. This was fine by me because I was near the indoor ice machine and let me tell you, hearing someone fill up their ice CHEST both mornings was brutal! They were out there at 6AM and it took a good 20 minutes to fill it up. Not fun!

2. I moved upstairs to the second floor and was supposed to get room 222. Well, when I checked back in, I got room 216, the room right across from the elevator. People congregated waiting for the elevator at all hours of the morning and evening and talked very loudly. There is no sound proofing at all. You hear every conversation in the hall, in rooms, in the parking lot....everywhere....right at this moment, as I type, people just got off the elevator and were yelling to each other down the hall as they went to their rooms. It's 9PM.

3. I booked recently renovated rooms. The rooms were fine but they looked dated with the exception of the nice, big tv. I am thinking that was all they renovated. My first room had a microwave and fridge, the second room didn't have either.

I know this doesn't sound very positive and I don't mean to be nit-picky but these are things to consider when booking here. It's really a nice enough hotel with a lot of good things to offer for travelers.

Room Tip: Get 3rd floor room for a better view and hopefully less noise from the parking lot. Stay away from t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gemi3886
, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear gemi3886: Thank you for your contributions to TripAdvisor! You, as a travel professional know most of all; the challenges hotels face in today’s ever so competitive market place. Your comments indicate what we’re doing right, and any short falls need our special attention.

Regarding some of your comments, we haven’t completed the entire hotel renovations as we had to postpone renovations due to our summer season now in full swing. And I want to share with as many as possible at least some of the best of the best parts of the hotel.

We’ll soon have our own restaurant which we’re a beta site for Choice Hotels; Bistro C concept; we’re very excited to offer our guests full service food & beverages, which will be on line within the next few months. At which time we’d appreciate a return visit if possible to write another TripAdvisor comment.

Sharing all your experiences is truly appreciated…

Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was my second time in Del Mar, but my first time at the Del Mar Inn. I don't really write reviews very often, but this place really exceeded my expectations and I wanted to share my experience. The staff was very pleasant, offering up suggestions for bars and restaurants and took care of everything. The rooms were spotless with nice upgrades and an incredible view of the ocean. Honestly, there is nothing this place could have done better and the Del Mar Inn will be my hotel of choice every time I visit Del Mar in the future. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Aaron A
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Just returned from an amazing stay at the Del Mar Inn. A group of us drove down from Orange County for just one night and were very impressed with this hotel. The staff was super nice, especially the manager Mike at the front desk who recommended a great restaurant and bar. I liked how the hotel is bright and clean and how it's walking distance to the beach and downtown Del Mar. The rooms are very nice and looked to be newly remodeled because everything was up to date like the new flat screen tv. I was most impressed with the bathroom and gorgeous shower! I felt like a queen in there and you know how us ladies like marble in our kitchens and bathrooms.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room facing the ocean so we could watch the sunset on your balcony. So romantic...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 8tephanie
California
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We had a newly renovated room which I loved. The bathrooms were fabulous as were the beds. We were able to walk or ride our bikes to all the restaurants in Del Mar. When you leave your room everything else is still old. Also there is a huge gap between the door and the new carpet so when people pass by your room and are talking it sounds like they are in your room. You hear everything. The breakfast was ok. My husband likes cereal so he was happy but it was cereal, bananas, donuts, plain bagels,banana bread, juice. Also I feel that if a hotel is going to spend money to renovate they should put the new single serve coffee pots in the room, like a Kurig, or the kind where the coffee goes directly into a paper cup. It just grosses me out to use a reg. coffee pot. I will likely stay here again because of the price and the location and the new rooms. I hope they stay clean and new. Also we had a 3rd floor room that looked out to the ocean so that was nice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lablover99
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear lablover99: Was great to read you received one of our newly renovated rooms. They’re great!!! So many positive comments regarding our rooms state we’re doing something right with our improvements.

Although, I do have to apologize for not completing ALL rooms or the rest of the hotel with renovations & improvements. Had some time delays which finally placed us in a position we had to stop all renovations until later this year to finalize our “best of the best” to complete.

Hope you visit again later this year or next to taste; yes I said taste for yourself the differences we’ll be offering with the renovations. Stay tuned…

Look forward to having you return.
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We just returned from our midweek getaway in Del Mar. From the moment Michelle checked us in, we received excellent and friendly customer service. Our remodeled third floor room was very fresh and new with a wonderful view. The hostess in the breakfast bistro was very attentive and friendly.
We wanted to get away from the commercial hustle and bustle of typical hotel locations and the Clarion Inn provided just that. It was within an easy drive of popular tourist areas along the coast, yet felt secluded..
When we return to the San Diego area we mill most definitely stay at the Clarion Inn in Del Mar.

Room Tip: Third floor ocean view at the north end of the building.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank azpatriots
Dear azpatriots: I truly enjoy all the recent positive comments we’ve received from so many of our guests. Especially from visitors from Arizona, I’ve visited Arizona in mid- June, July & August, friends joke about being able to cook an egg on the side walk. Well; allow me to admit, it’s true, you can cook an egg on some of those hot days in Arizona.

All Arizonians are welcome to visit our great location in the Sea Side Village of Del Mar, take a stroll along our white sandy beaches, and enjoy Del Mar’s beautiful weather while experiencing all our incredible location has to offer.

Thank you for your very kind comments.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Recently stayed here on a trip with my brother. The host at the front desk started the trip off great as she was very nice and gave us a wonderful remodeled room. We loved the location! Being able to walk to downtown Del mar in just a few seconds is a huge plus! The beds and ammenties were great. They had free coffee and newspapers at the front desk which was a great way to start the day. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to stay at a nice hotel in downtown Del Mar. My only wish was that we could have stayed an extra few days. Best value in Del Mar hands down!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tomchee
Dear Tomchee: Thank you for your TripAdvisor comments; being from San Francisco, I’m confident you can appreciate our outstanding location as a Boutique Hotel near the Sea Shore.

Many agree with you, and we do our very best to offer quality services at reasonable and affordable rates --- we’re the best value in Del Mar hands down.

We hope you’ll return for another visit if opportunity arises.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,134 reviews

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!