“Very nice hotel”

Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The good - very well appointed room with small fridge, coffeemaker, comfortable beds and bedding, very nice bath. The hotel rooms are very clean although the halls don't look nearly as nice. They have an onsite café for breakfast and a night time snack, sandwich or drink. The not so good - although you may get an ocean view the noise of neighboring a/c units will prevent keeping doors open to hear it. Also noise from surrounding rooms can be a bit much. Overall I would stay there again if in the area. I like more boutique type hotels like this and this is a very good one.

Room Tip: If possible get a third floor room facing the ocean. Hotel is not on the ocean so you need to be on...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear mnsnapper: Thank you for wonderful comments on TripAdvisor; we greatly appreciate you sharing your experiences while visiting our lovely Boutique Hotel in the Sea Side Village of Del Mar.
You share what we’re doing right, wrong and most importantly, how to improve!

We’ve been receiving sooo sooo many great comments on the New decor, we’re very proud of our newly refurbished hotel.

I agree the Boutique Hotels are the best experiences found in today’s hotel locations.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My boyfriend and I spent two nights at the Clarion Del Mar Hotel. I spent a lot of time researching hotels in the area on Trip Advisor so I knew to reserve a 3rd Floor/Ocean View Room. We were glad we made this additional investment

The view of the Ocean was indeed lovely. Although the balcony is small, it still affords a nice view and you can see a great sunset. I would recommend rooms 324-328, as these are not as obstructed by the buildings in front. Previous reviewers are correct, the parking lot is a bit of an eye sore, but we still appreciated the view from our room.

The room itself was very clean. Loved the Fridge/cupboard space. The bathroom was luxurious for two people! Lots of room. We had just returned from a beach motel in Encinitas where the bathrooms were very small, so this was a real treat.

I found the room to be a bit small/cramped, especially for two people. We made due though, and it would not prevent us from staying here again. The King Bed was very comfortable.

The pool/bistro areas (although we did not sit/eat there) was also very cozy! It looks like the ground floor rooms just outside of the pool area would be a nice place to stay as well; it provides a "garden" feel.

We really enjoyed being able to walk to the beach and into town/dinner. It's a good 10-15 minute walk, which we enjoy. The beach itself is perfect for swimming and long beach walks (which we did). We also enjoyed dining at the Poseidon Restaurant, basically situated ON the beach. You can't beat the view of the sunset from your table at this restaurant.

The staff at the hotel is accommodating. Although we were not able to check in early, I did ask for room #324 (I saw it was being cleaned/vacated). Cameron (???) at the front desk put the request in. . He wouldn't guarantee it, but he said he would do his very best. The Manager was standing there and I got the distinct feeling they are told NOT to guarantee anything to any guest (which I "get"). . . .but the room was vacated, and I was there checking in for two nights early. . . . so why not just say "Yes! We will assign you that room." Again, we were accommodated and very grateful. Cameron also took the time to call us (on our cell) when the room was ready, and allowed us to store our bags at the front desk while we went to the beach. This was done at check out as well. The staff at the Front Desk really provides solid service, despite being alone at times and juggling answering phones and checking in guests.

One slight complaint was the cleaning people were very loud in the hallways starting at 8am on Saturday.

We were so sad to leave Del Mar, and we will definitely look into staying at the Clarion for our next visit.

Room Tip: Definitely 3rd Floor, Ocean View Rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear LoisSedona: Thank you for wonderful comments on TripAdvisor; we greatly appreciate you sharing your experiences while visiting our lovely Boutique Hotel in the Sea Side Village of Del Mar. 3rd Floor Ocean Views R the Best!

Our summer sunsets are truly one of a kind, bright reds, yellows and blues, truly a sight to see.

We’re very happy you enjoyed yourselves during your visit from Arizona.

We’ve been receiving sooo sooo many great comments on the New Decor, we’re very proud of our newly refurbished hotel.

The newly renovated Bathrooms are truly the rage; guests can’t seem to believe how beautiful they are until experienced by themselves.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

It is a smaller hotel, which is perfect if one wants a more homey feel when vacationing and very desirable if one is on an extended stay. The rooms seem current, everything looks newer and fresh and the views from either side are equally charming. My room wasn't facing the ocean, but I didn't mind. There's a lovely landscape that feels like a garden. The hotel itself looks older so it gives it an almost european feel while not looking run down. The bestro was so convenient! I was able to get good coffee without even leaving the hotel, and dinner if I was tired at the end of the day. I was there just about a week and all the staff were very friendly. I drive a lot while I was in town and the location was so convenient, it's just down the street from the freeway 5. All in all, a quant, charming, fresh, and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Edurrance: Thank you for your great comments on TripAdvisor; we greatly appreciate you sharing your experiences while visiting our lovely Boutique Hotel in our Sea Side Village of Del Mar. Ocean Views during summer months are increasable.

As for the garden area, beautifully landscaped and offers you a place to relax & enjoy all the hotel has to offer.

Our new Bistro has become a fast favorite for our guests as they no longer have to leave to enjoy great snacks and beverages, with or without alcohol.

I appreciate your comment of all in all, quant & charming, fresh and friendly place to stay.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I spent six nights here including the 4th of July weekend and was delighted with my stay. The atmosphere of this hotel is California chic - a lush garden pool and jacuzzi area in front, nice rooms with very comfy beds, well located in the most upmarket area in North County. The hotel's location is excellent - it is not ocean front, but a few blocks away from the beach, with ocean views from the rooms on the back. Some rooms have balconies. There is a collection of attractive eateries just a few minutes walk from the hotel and the fabulous beaches are just a short drive away. The hotel also has a newly opened small Bistro that serves basic, but tasty cuisine breakfast through dinner, with apparent plans to expand the menu. Seating is both inside and outside. I enjoyed a glass of wine watching the sunset in front of one of the hotel's two fire pits (the other being in the pool area).

I found the staff to be friendly and eager to please. The hotel is upgrading and can only get better. Apart from the convenience for the Del Mar racetrack crowd, this hotel offers a comfortable stay in a great location for a competitive price. I am already looking forward to my next stay when I visit San Diego.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I've had to travel to San Diego twice on business in the past year. Both times my host organization put me up for a few nights in a local hotel. On my first trip they assigned me to a really great hotel in La Jolla (La Jolla Shores). This time they put me up at the Del Mar Inn, which was a bit so-so by comparison. Not awful, but not spectacular either.

Two negative features detracted somewhat from my visit. The first was noise. In particular, I often heard doors on my floor slamming closed. The door to my first-floor room was mounted with a door closer but I noticed that it did not prevent the door from closing loudly. I wondered if the same might be true of the closers on other doors on the same floor. As it was I was woken up a couple times by doors slamming shut. If I could make one constructive suggestion to hotel staff, it would be to inspect the first floor door closers to see if they can be adjusted or replaced for better sound management.

Another reviewer commented on the noise of the room fridge. I had the same experience and also had to unplug mine to get some sleep at one point.

A second mildly negative feature was a lack of privacy. The drapes were thin and semi-transparent and someone passing by to and from the pool could see into the room at night if any room lights were on. I would have welcomed some heavy drapes for greater privacy.

I arrived after a very long flight and was really looking forward to crashing out as soon as I got to the hotel at 1:00 pm. I was therefore a bit disappointed to be told when I arrived that I had to kill several hours until check in, which was not until 3:00 pm. The clerk even mentioned the possibility that my room my not be ready until 4:00 pm (in reality it was available at 3:00). In fairness to the hotel they were pretty full, and I did like it when I was leaving that check out was not until 11:00 am. So I mention this not so much as a complaint as to forewarn other potential guests arriving before 3:00 pm during the busy season.

On the positive side was the location. The hotel is a few blocks from the central part of Del Mar with all its restaurants and also close to the beach. Del Mar is a good base for exploring San Diego I found.

I also liked the fact that there was a computer and printer in reception that did not require a password and you could just jump on at any time to print something out (for free).

Finally, I have to disagree with the other reviewers who have criticized the bistro. I liked the food and found the bistro a very pleasant and relaxed place to eat, especially during breakfast when it was an oasis of early-morning calm. After eating both there and in Del Mar, I was happy to eat at the bistro again on my final day, even leaving aside the 25%-off coupon (which was also nice).

Room Tip: Avoid courtyard-facing rooms on the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Porphyry J
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Foreign T: Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate your response to our New Bistro C for convenience to our guests. We’ve only been open a few months and are receiving varied reviews, I’m confident we’ll work out any minor guest concerns as we continue to format the menu.
As for our location, as many have mentioned, our location is one of our best features – walking distance to shops, restaurants, beaches and more.
My apologies for any noise you may have encountered as we’re on the tail end of our hotel renovation. Door closers will certainly be reviewed by our engineering team for necessary adjustments.
I further have to apologize as we do in fact have privacy curtains directly behind our sheer curtains which offer complete privacy. It was unfortunate you could not locate for your convenience.
Your comments inform us as to what we’re doing right, wrong, and may have opportunities for improvement.
Thank you for taking time to respond.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Given the pricing, and the location, and the other reviews, I expected a premium hotel. It's OK, but not special. Paid extra for the ocean view room, but in actuality, it overlooks the parking lot, and the ocean is another block away, with the view blocked by 2 rows of homes. Front desk staff seemed somewhat confused and having problems with their computer. Yes, it's only a few blocks from downtown Del Mar, but you need to drive unless you have tons of free time. Might as well stay elsewhere at a more favorable rate. Granted, I was traveling on business, and might have had fonder memories of the pretty pool area and the beaches nearby if I was on vacation. I'm used to the simplicity of free breakfast and coffee at Comfort Inns, and a lot less expensive, at that. (Yes, they gave me a 25% food discount coupon for the bistro, but that's not what I really wanted.) Would I go back? Maybe, if I was sightseeing. I'll choose a more business-friendly location otherwise. Fortunately, the hotel was not busy; I'd be pretty unhappy waiting for the slow single elevator or waiting for front desk service if the place was crowded. The construction I saw, by the way, was not too intrusive. There are probably better days and worse days. Room pricing was erratic, too. Booked it a couple of months in advance, but cancelled and re-booked when the rates dropped another $30/night.

Room Tip: Better on the ocean side, not so see the ocean, but to avoid the road that passes in front! Higher...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AnAceBuyer_007
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Although it was a short visit, we were passing through Del Mar and I had to stay at my favorite Inn. As always the place was friendly and helpful and extremely clean. Plus they have a new added bonus to this hotel now....a bistro!!! We had breakfast before we left and it was REALLY good! They have some great food choices to offer and I went with the veggie breakfast burrito and hubby had the sausage breakfast sandwich. It was fantastic and the fresh made salsa that came with the burrito was so tasty! Great little bistro where you can enjoy your meal and a cool (or warm) beverage outside looking at the ocean! Thank you Clarion Del Mar for another wonderful stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank O0hlala
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear O0hlala: Thank you for visiting the New Clarion Del Mar inn Hotel “again”. We know you have choices when traveling; we greatly appreciate your continued support.

AND, another thank you for tasting our New Bistro C Café, we’re really proud of opening a new little Bistro in Del Mar where our guests have an “IN-HOUSE CHOICE” of dining in verses eating out down the street.

We look forward to you visiting again and again. Thank you for your kind comments on TripAdvisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
Les Artistes
Les Artistes
#6 of 7 in Del Mar
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!