“Quaint hotel and wonderful service”

Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Quaint hotel and wonderful service”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I needed to meet with a prospective out-of-country buyer on short notice. In order to accommodate this prospective buyer, I had to make arrangements to meet her in a different county altogether. I called around several different hotels in that area seeking availability. Sheila Zable contacted me on a Sunday, which I didn't think would happen, and she offered me the cozy library as a meeting space, since the meeting room had already been previously booked on my meeting date. I was VERY satisfied with the library. It was just the right size, comfortable, and offered the seating and table arrangements that would be conducive to a business meeting for only two people. Complimentary water bottles were provided and a sign posted on the door stating that the library was reserved.

The hotel looked clean and well-maintenanced. It has beautiful grounds with an English garden theme. The lobby and library had a light, bright, and airy look and feel. This is not a large hotel, but a small, quaint, cozy inn overlooking the ocean. Really nice.

I was also VERY satisfied with the assistance that I received from the two maintenance workers, who helped unload my vehicle with my materials and hardware, transported it all to the library, unloaded it all in the library, then transported back to my car and then reloaded my car. I did not expect that much assistance, but I sincerely appreciated it.

Wonderful, friendly staff!!!! =:-D

The only reason I am giving 4.5 stars instead of a full 5 is because I did not have cash on hand to provide the workers as a tip (my fault) and I wanted to charge it to my company credit card, but was told that was not possible. There was no ATM on premises, so, I would have had a perfect business day if I were able to convenienty get cash or charge my card for the tip. Perhaps the management may want to consider adjusting their system to be able to allow this in the future.

I would really like to come back and visit again for recreation/personal reasons.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Splashgear U: WOW! Thank you for the great comments on TripAdvisor. We believe it’s our duty and responsibility to assist our guests & client’s to succeed in whatever endeavors they’re participating.

We’re sincerely happy your meeting was sooo very successful.

Hope to have you visit again for some fun in the sun.
Clarion Del Mar Inn Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Among the most accommodating lodges I've come across over the past 20 years. I needed an affordable hotel in an expensive location close by to a hospital in Torrey Pines, and I needed it early and quickly. Pamela certainly went out of her way to provide me with exactly what I needed when I needed it. How rare is that? I'm grateful that Clarion is smart enough to employ such a highly customer-service oriented representative that cares about the guest. I'd only wish all the big boys out there, like Hilton and Marriott, understood that it's the representative facing the guests that makes all the difference in providing the highest-quality experience, not all the marketing blitz. And BTW, it’s a wonderful place to spend a night for a litany of other reasons.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank ShotgunJohnny
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear ShotgunJonny: It’s an honor to read great comments similar to yours as you’re absolutely correct, it’s about the friendly and professional “front line staff members” who make all the difference. AND, Pamela is one of those rare individuals who do exactly that, take great care of our guests.

We hope to have you return on better circumstances.

Thank you for the great compliments on TripAdvisor, many have no idea how great our newly renovated facilities are and all we have to offer. I won’t write a commercial, BUT, check us out, we’re really proud of our new amenities and new facilities.
California
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed one night here to be close to UCSD medical center. From the hotel, it's any easy 6 mile drive. The hotel offers a reasonable special rate for UCSD medical visitors. Staff was friendly and helpful. The room, on the first floor, was clean and comfortable although furniture and wallpaper were dated. The bathroom was small but adequate. The balcony faces the parking lot so not exactly an ocean view!. The bed was extremely comfortable with a fresh, clean duvet and down pillows. Parking was ample and complimentary (yay!) The hotel is in easy walking distance to town where I had dinner. I would have enjoyed complimentary coffee and/or continental breakfast in the lobby that so many other hotels do offer. Overall it was a pleasant stay for one night. However, I don't think I would stay here if I were on vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear MMP214: Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We take great care of those visiting UCSD Medical Center. From shuttles to and from center, Free coffee/tea in every room, free parking and those great rates we offer to those visiting.

Wonderful to read you had a pleasant stay/visit here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn Hotel.

Hope to have you visit on better circumstances.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My family recently took a west coast vacatiuon to LA & SD. We had heard great things about the Clarion Del Mar Inn. The hotel and staff lived up to all of our expecations. It is located in a great beach town, overlooks the ocean, and is an easy walk/commute to the center of town and the public beaches. The hot tub and pool are fantastic (especially if you have kids!). The rooms are very clean and the linens and beds are comfy. They recently redid all of the bathrooms. They look great. The hotel is very affortable and the management team and staff were extremely helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and highly recommend the Del Mar Inn.

Room Tip: Higher floors with a balcony view of the ocean
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Scott P: A “BIG THANK YOU“ for your comments on TripAdvisor, they’re greatly appreciated. We’re rapidly becoming a KID friendly hotel with all the room to play outside the pool & spa areas. AND, if that’s not enough, we always have the public park next door for basketball, Lacrosse, a little baseball, OR just running around the park for fun in the sun.

We’re aware you’re clear across the US, but if you ever make a return trip, we’ll be here for you & the family for another adventurous trip.

Thank you again for the great comments.
Clovis, California
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great location, with balcony views of the ocean. Newly updated rooms and an onsite café. Easy walk into town with a variety of restaurants, shops, and bars. Walking distance to the beach or to Torrey Pines for hiking. Easy drive into San Diego. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the breeze on the balcony of the upper floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Nancy S: Great location, great balconies, & great Ocean Views. Newly Renovated Rooms and our on Site Café – Bistro C. Everything (I hope) a guest could want, but you won’t know until you check out our hotel for yourself.

We greatly appreciate your comments above as we’ve REALLLY worked hard on designing our newly renovated hotel to best suit our guests and visitors.

Whether walking or driving, we’re a short distance to all the major attractions AND the most beautiful coastline in the world. Just can’t be beat!

Hope to have you return again into the near future for fun in the Southern California Sun.

Thank you for a great shout out on TripAdvisor, your comments are shared with millions of viewers considering where to visit AND importantly, where to stay. That’s where we come into play.

You won't regret choosing the Clarion Del Mar Inn Hotel for your next stay.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great hotel and location is walking distance to town with a lot of choices of restaurants and bars. Also walking distance to beach and hiking at Torry Pines. Rooms are updated and very clean and comfortable. Hotel staff is excellent! Everyone is very nice and all are willing to help you with anything that you may need. We highly recommend and we will be back.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear lori r: You may recall I introduced myself to you and you group checking in to our hotel in Del Mar, what a great group to be vacationing and the adventurous types are the best.

Thank you for a great shout out on TripAdvisor, your comments are shared with millions of viewers considering where to visit AND more importantly, where to stay.

That’s where we come into play. Great location & step away from fun in the sun, hope the gang took me up on my suggestion to visit The Birch Aquarium, very cool place for all ages.

Hope to have you visit Del Mar/La Jolla again where we could host the adventurers from Arizona.
van nuys
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from the perfect escape! You would think that would be impossible to pull off in just over 24 hours-- but you would be wrong. Book a magical night @ the Clarion Del Mar in Sea Side Del Mar and you'll see what I mean. The staff @ the Clarion is professional, warm, and inviting. We dealt primarily w/ Pamela who was extraordinarily helpful and went, it seemed to me, out of her way to make sure we had reservations @ bustling Jake's for dinner that night-- which was Saturday. Jake's, BTW was as perfect as the Clarion. The room was delightful, beautifully and simply decorated and the bed is cozy and comfortable. We got the ocean view. We started our escape with an ocean walk, and thanks to Pamela, a trip to the local deli for sun screen and fabulous sandwiches that we ate on the beach; then, rounded out with a long soak in the hot tub. The other guests we encountered were just as pleased as we were w/ the accommodations. Lovely, just, lovely. So don't take my word for it-- take yourself on your own escape. You will not be sorry, I promise you!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Leighpod: Wow!!! Couldn’t have said it better my-self. Magic does happen here in beautiful Del Mar. One of a kind Sea Side Village with all the niceties, beaches, sunsets, a dash of romance, with fire pits and great weather.

A great escape from Los Angeles or Van Nuys, They don’t call us America’s Finest City for nothing, we really do try to assist our guests “Like you and your significant other” via one of our best ---Pamela--- who will go out of her way to be sure you have a great time.

Thank you for the outstanding comments on TripAdvisor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,130 reviews

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!