“School Trip in Del Mar”

Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our group of 32 travelers had been in country for 5 days prior to arriving at the Clarion Del Mar Inn. Managed by Thomas Mackey and his talented team, our school group was welcomed in an efficient manner with little to no idle time. By far the best reception we received during our two weeks in California. The recent renovation has left the facility gleaming from top to bottom and is worthy of most discriminating guests. We elected to use the pool facility which was soothing and so close to the Bistro that offered a delicious menu. Pierce was extremely helpful in preparing our large group order ahead of our early morning departure. Thank you to Sheila Z. for her patience and efforts beyond the normal work day to ensure our special needs students were accomodated.

The teachers on this excursion were able to relax knowing that this professional hospitality team was looking after every one of our travel needs! Thank you so much Clarion Del Mar Inn!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Jaime H. A big shout out to all you Canadians visiting America’s Finest City and our own Sea Side Village of Del Mar/La Jolla/Torrey Pines – (((All right next door to each other))). AND, thank you for your great comments on TripAdvisor.

You experienced first-hand the value of knowing your staff members and their capabilities to offer “Great Customer Service”. It’s truly a pleasure to read we’ve completed a job well done by visitors like yourself. Being a DAD myself and understanding teenage peaks & valleys, I can truly relate.

Being prepared all we could for you & your visiting chaperones & scholars. Just FYI, your group was great, enjoying themselves with all that Del Mar & surrounding areas had to offer.

I only wish I could have joined you on some of your adventures. Maybe next time.

Safe travels, & if there’s ever anything I or anyone of our staff members can do to assist, please contact us at your convenience.
Cheers…

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We love Del Mar and we were very happy w/the size of our room, as well as how helpful they were to accomodate our needs. We originally received a pool view room, and my husband went to the front desk upon our arrival and check in and asked if they could give us an Ocean view instead. No problem! This really made our stay so much more enjoyable. We kept the sliding glass window open each night and could hear the ocean as we fell asleep. We were there on a weekend and it wasn't very busy in the pool or restaurant area, and we loved the locaiton as it was close to everything we were doing that weeeknd. I'd come back and stay here if the rate is right! Highly recommend it - and the staff was also very courteous, esp the housekeeping group.

Room Tip: ask for 3rd floor ocean view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear NanCI: Big shout out to Berwyn, Pennsylvania. It’s always great to read we were able to modify your reservation so you and others would “have that perfect stay”.
Hearing the waves at night to put you to sleep is one of the greatest feelings ever! Our light sea breezes sooth while melting away your stress from any occasion.

LOCATION; can’t be beat, we’re not only in the Sea Side Village of Del Mar, but right next to La Jolla and many don’t realize how close we are to the rest of San Diego. Drive 10 short minutes to LEGOLAND to the north, 10/15 minutes to SeaWorld, and only 20 minutes to San Diego Zoo. All the while being here at the beach.

Thank you for your great comments on TripAdvisor, We really appreciate you sharing your feelings, thoughts and compliments with sooooo many. Others read to determine where to stay often based on these types of comments. I SINCERELY THANK YOU!

Hope to have you return on your travels into the future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Overall, we enjoyed the The Clarion and Del Mar. The facility is well kept with newly renovated bathrooms and within walking distance of the Del Mar village (@ 15 minutes).

My only issue with this hotel is that their website is misleading in noting that they are two blocks from the beach. Yes, this is true, but there is no access to the beach in this area unless you want to cross commuter rail tracks(which is illegal and a possible fine) and scale 40 foot high sand cliffs that have "do not descend or climb cliffs signs as they are UNSTABLE".
The true distance to beach access in Del Mar village is a 20 minute walk.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deane P
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Deane P: Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. The newly renovated rooms are great and our new Bistro C Café is convenient for our guests and locals alike.

I truly hope you enjoyed your time here in our own Sea Side Village of Del Mar/La Jolla/Torrey Pines. Unfortunately, my reading sounds as if you may have been misled with the wrong directions to the beach, there’s numerous ways to get to our beautiful beaches. We’ll make sure upon your next trip to offer correct directions to either Del Mar OR Torrey Pines State Beaches.

Take care in Albuquerque, weather this time of year should be a little on the warm side, but beautiful nevertheless.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I needed to meet with a prospective out-of-country buyer on short notice. In order to accommodate this prospective buyer, I had to make arrangements to meet her in a different county altogether. I called around several different hotels in that area seeking availability. Sheila Zable contacted me on a Sunday, which I didn't think would happen, and she offered me the cozy library as a meeting space, since the meeting room had already been previously booked on my meeting date. I was VERY satisfied with the library. It was just the right size, comfortable, and offered the seating and table arrangements that would be conducive to a business meeting for only two people. Complimentary water bottles were provided and a sign posted on the door stating that the library was reserved.

The hotel looked clean and well-maintenanced. It has beautiful grounds with an English garden theme. The lobby and library had a light, bright, and airy look and feel. This is not a large hotel, but a small, quaint, cozy inn overlooking the ocean. Really nice.

I was also VERY satisfied with the assistance that I received from the two maintenance workers, who helped unload my vehicle with my materials and hardware, transported it all to the library, unloaded it all in the library, then transported back to my car and then reloaded my car. I did not expect that much assistance, but I sincerely appreciated it.

Wonderful, friendly staff!!!! =:-D

The only reason I am giving 4.5 stars instead of a full 5 is because I did not have cash on hand to provide the workers as a tip (my fault) and I wanted to charge it to my company credit card, but was told that was not possible. There was no ATM on premises, so, I would have had a perfect business day if I were able to convenienty get cash or charge my card for the tip. Perhaps the management may want to consider adjusting their system to be able to allow this in the future.

I would really like to come back and visit again for recreation/personal reasons.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Splashgear U: WOW! Thank you for the great comments on TripAdvisor. We believe it’s our duty and responsibility to assist our guests & client’s to succeed in whatever endeavors they’re participating.

We’re sincerely happy your meeting was sooo very successful.

Hope to have you visit again for some fun in the sun.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Among the most accommodating lodges I've come across over the past 20 years. I needed an affordable hotel in an expensive location close by to a hospital in Torrey Pines, and I needed it early and quickly. Pamela certainly went out of her way to provide me with exactly what I needed when I needed it. How rare is that? I'm grateful that Clarion is smart enough to employ such a highly customer-service oriented representative that cares about the guest. I'd only wish all the big boys out there, like Hilton and Marriott, understood that it's the representative facing the guests that makes all the difference in providing the highest-quality experience, not all the marketing blitz. And BTW, it’s a wonderful place to spend a night for a litany of other reasons.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank ShotgunJohnny
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear ShotgunJonny: It’s an honor to read great comments similar to yours as you’re absolutely correct, it’s about the friendly and professional “front line staff members” who make all the difference. AND, Pamela is one of those rare individuals who do exactly that, take great care of our guests.

We hope to have you return on better circumstances.

Thank you for the great compliments on TripAdvisor, many have no idea how great our newly renovated facilities are and all we have to offer. I won’t write a commercial, BUT, check us out, we’re really proud of our new amenities and new facilities.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed one night here to be close to UCSD medical center. From the hotel, it's any easy 6 mile drive. The hotel offers a reasonable special rate for UCSD medical visitors. Staff was friendly and helpful. The room, on the first floor, was clean and comfortable although furniture and wallpaper were dated. The bathroom was small but adequate. The balcony faces the parking lot so not exactly an ocean view!. The bed was extremely comfortable with a fresh, clean duvet and down pillows. Parking was ample and complimentary (yay!) The hotel is in easy walking distance to town where I had dinner. I would have enjoyed complimentary coffee and/or continental breakfast in the lobby that so many other hotels do offer. Overall it was a pleasant stay for one night. However, I don't think I would stay here if I were on vacation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear MMP214: Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We take great care of those visiting UCSD Medical Center. From shuttles to and from center, Free coffee/tea in every room, free parking and those great rates we offer to those visiting.

Wonderful to read you had a pleasant stay/visit here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn Hotel.

Hope to have you visit on better circumstances.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My family recently took a west coast vacatiuon to LA & SD. We had heard great things about the Clarion Del Mar Inn. The hotel and staff lived up to all of our expecations. It is located in a great beach town, overlooks the ocean, and is an easy walk/commute to the center of town and the public beaches. The hot tub and pool are fantastic (especially if you have kids!). The rooms are very clean and the linens and beds are comfy. They recently redid all of the bathrooms. They look great. The hotel is very affortable and the management team and staff were extremely helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and highly recommend the Del Mar Inn.

Room Tip: Higher floors with a balcony view of the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Scott P: A “BIG THANK YOU“ for your comments on TripAdvisor, they’re greatly appreciated. We’re rapidly becoming a KID friendly hotel with all the room to play outside the pool & spa areas. AND, if that’s not enough, we always have the public park next door for basketball, Lacrosse, a little baseball, OR just running around the park for fun in the sun.

We’re aware you’re clear across the US, but if you ever make a return trip, we’ll be here for you & the family for another adventurous trip.

Thank you again for the great comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#67 of 279 in San Diego

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!