“Great Hotel, Great Little Town, Beautiful Beaches”

Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 June 2009

The hotel was clean and the service was nice. The pool, hot tub and garden area were great, our boys had a wonderful time. The light breakfast was very nice and the staff very friendly. Del Mar has clean beaches at the city parks or just south about 1 mile, Torrey Pines State Beach is also very nice. Del Mar Pizza is a great place and we found additional shoping and resturants on Del Mar Heights Rd. as well as on Villa De Valle Rd., just go east 1-2 miles (approx.) on either road. Overall great place to stay!! We would stay at this hotel again. While in Del Mar, if you park near 20th street, the parking along the curb is free and you can walk to the beach. Other parking areas cost $8.00 per day and up.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank OTISArizona

Reviewed 17 March 2009

My husband and I just spent a month at the Del Mar Inn and enjoyed our stay very much. We had a lovely room on the third floor overlooking the ocean, walking distance to shops, restaurants and the gorgeous beaches of Del Mar. Since we were staying for a month, we were given an excellent room rate. The inn has a nice swimming pool, spa, library and continental breakfast with a sweet greeter named Rosita. The staff were pleasant and accommodating. The value was excellent. Cindy & Rob

• Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank cindyBend_Oregon
Reviewed 26 October 2008

This hotel looks cute from the outside but it is awful inside. I had two rooms. They both smelled like pet urine! My mom called for help when her fire alarm went off, and she smelled something burning. They told her they had only one person in the lobby and would be down in a few hours. The staff was very rude! The manager was called and stated he would return our call. He never did! Trust me, you do not want to stay here.

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank gypsygirl400
silversurfersocal, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2008

Dear Gypsygirl400: Please accept my sincerest Apology. And an update to the circumstances. You’re absolutely correct. This response slipped through the cracks. At 6:45 your mother did call the Front Office and complained of the smoke detector beeping three (3) times. With the staff member conversing with your mother, she asked your mother if there was an emergency, your mother said no; the smoke detector beeped three (3) times. And wanted someone to come to her room immediately. The staff member had a guest in front of her, and said she would send a maintenance person as soon as they arrived. Maintenance staff arrives at 7:30 am. --- At 7:00 am, after gst came to Front Desk to complain again --- a staff member went to the room & found a Do not Disturb Sign on the door. With all that had happened; she chose to knock and then enter to verify everything was OK. Staff member checked room and found nothing was wrong. Checked hair dryer, room heater, etc.

Later that morning at approximately 11:00 I received a call from your mother re: this matter. I mentioned I would investigate and call back after verifying the circumstances to the event. MY mistake... I wrote down telephone number with notes, verified smoke detector had low battery. (Most all smoke detectors - hard wired or not send a signal of low battery. this was the case). But, I never called you or your mother back with update. My sincerest apologies. I will be refunding your mothers stay for my "horrible service".

NOTE: We are a No Smoking & No Pets hotel.

Again, my sincerest apologies for this mistake on my part in this most important matter.
Thomas Mackey
Clarion Del Mar Inn

Reviewed 23 October 2008

I Absolutely Loved My stay at the Del Mar Inn this past weekend, I'm Originally from San Diego and normally I stay at my Parents House but this time I decided to stay at Somewhere different, I've stayed at the Inn before and liked it so I decided to try it again. I was Pleasantly Surprised to see all the "Completed Renovations" to the Property, The New Carpets, Bathroom Remodel and Pool Area were a
Nice Surprise. I also took Full Advantage of the Complimentary Continental Breakfast Area. The Staff is Well Trained and Organized and made me feel like I was home (but without the family drama)

Since moving away from San Diego 5 years ago it's nice to come back home and see the Ocean From Your Balcony after a long day of Golfing at Torrey Pines North and South. (yea 36 holes that day).

I'm Convinced that the Clarion Del Mar Inn is the Best Value, Staff and Location in San Diego, Great eateries nearby in the Town of Del Mar and also Pristine Beaches along with easy freeway access to North and South Highway 5.
I Will Recommend Thomas Mackey the General Manager and His Staff to all my Friends when they ask, Where's the Best place to Stay in San Diego? For me it's the Del Mar Inn!

Sincerely, Vince from Fresno Now.

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank callawaygolfer
Reviewed 15 September 2008

The hotel was old and not well maintained. It tried to be quaint, but was just outdated and not very clean. The pool wasn't heated, the shuttle to the US open didn't pick up there because of road work. For the same money there are many other great hotels in the Del Mar area - skip this one!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank emm52
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I stopped at late night asking for a room. I was traveling with my family (wife and 4yo baby) and I negotiated a room for 149 USD. I thought it was clear that I needed at least two bed, but the room only had one. I asked for the extra bed and they provided me with a baby cot which was shorter than my son. As a matter of fact I was very tired and I was partly responsible for this misunderstanding at the check-in, so I don't complain too much about this.

Anyway, the room was spacious, clean, with a beautiful view over the ocean, and the breakfast was fine. In the morning we were off for our destination, even if we were a little bit sad for skipping the opportunity to visit more the area and the seaside of Del Mar.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank qwfqwf
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I must say this experience was one that I do not want anybody else to go through. I went there with my in-laws and considered my hotel experience terrible. First of all my hotel room was small and did not feel clean at all. Compared to my in-laws room mine was very much smaller. I stayed in room 227 and my in-laws stayed in 202. My room did not include a refrigerator or a wet bar sink, although my in-laws did. We paid the same amount of money and reserved them on the same day and asked for the same options. When I confronted the staff they basically said to bad. I talked with the general manager named Thomas Mackey and he said get over it. It was there choice what room to give you and there is nothing you can do about it. I must say THOMAS MACKEY is one of the most un pofessional person I have every dealt with. My other big complaint with this place is the horrible balcony that was there. Two people can hardley sit out there comfortably. Overall this is a bad hotel and would never tell anybody to go there. I am obviously still upset about this stay, as it was just about 2 days ago that I stayed there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank ucdavis
silversurfersocal, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2008

Dear Guest: My sincerest apologies for having two (2) style of rooms of one which was upgraded complimentary due to high level of occupancy. I was informed by my staff quoting you "that we ruined your vacation" due to two different room types. One had an expanded vanity, the other did not. Please consider the circumstances; we always strive to offer the best accommodations here in Del Mar. It's unfortunate when we offered to move your room due to your dissatisfaction, you chose to remain in the two rooms you were given. We hope in the future to better assist you and to offer the exact rooms to satisfy guests similar to you and your visitors.
Thomas Mackey

Les Artistes
Les Artistes
#6 of 7 in Del Mar
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!