“Not so great unfortunately”

Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Not so great unfortunately”
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Hmmm...good location close to town but rooms are pretty gross. We paid extra for an ocean view and it overlooked a yucky deserted parking lot and way off in the distance was the ocean. I'm not that picky and I was pretty grossed out. I would have gotten out of it if I could have. The ocean view balcony was a block of cement with two plastic chairs over the parking lot-really needs some work. The back door wouldn't lock either.

• Liked — Bath and Body Works products in bathroom
  • Disliked — rooms were creapy
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank AtlantaJanderson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Turkish first
Illinois
Reviewed 10 July 2007

I attended a conference at UCSD and called the hotel direct and was given a University rate. I always read reviews of hotels before and after booking and wasn't sure what to expect - but I was very pleased. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Really enjoyed the morning coffee/pastries cart - the pastries were delicious and so was the coffee/tea/oj. Totally out of character for me, I attended one of the afternoon tea's and it was so relaxing. The pool and spa were extremely clean. My room was a bit on the small side (double beds) but was not a concern. The hotel overall was very clean and had a pleasant atmosphere. Getting out onto the main road was not great, but not a real problem once you got used to the entrance and exit from the hotel. The location was excellent - close to Torrey Pines Rd which takes you anywhere you want to go in the Del Mar, La Jolla, San Diego area. It was close to everything and a good retreat after a busy day. My flight home was cancelled and I called the hotel immediately, and they were very obliging to get me a room for an additional night. Thanks for the great room and hospitality

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank dancin2
Golden,CO
Reviewed 9 July 2007

There are several motels close to the site that are newer and cheaper. I would have done better at the Holiday Inn Express or Ramada Express in Encinitas for $50-$60 less.Property was pretty beat and probably needed a renovation in the early 90's. Pet peeve of mine is when fans do not work in the restroom and wallpaper is peeling, this is not acceptable in a patel motel let alone at $159.00 per . Balcony about three feet wide over industrial area. You can see the ocean past the industrial area. Niiiiiice! Anyway, they do wheel a breakfast cart to your door in the morning with the usual continental fare, so that was a plus.

• Liked — Breakfast cart at door in morning.
  • Disliked — Condition of rooms, parking.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
Minneapolis
Reviewed 14 May 2007

I was staying for over a week, so I thought I would get some consideration. At first I was put in a tiny room on the first floor, next to the maid's station, so kept waking up when they starting banging around in the AM. Also, there was a long-term guest in the room next to me who blasted her TV all night long. After complaining, the manager gave me a much larger room at the other end of the hotel with a balcony, overlooking the pool.
While pleasant, the front desk staff was completely clueless as to how to get to the beach or local attractions - had to explore on my own.
Also, the electricity went out in my room one night as I was going to bed, and the grumpy maintenence man who came by in the morning tried to blame me for the problem. He took one look at my curling iron and blow dryer and said I had "too many things plugged in". When I pointed out that the power outage occured at 11 pm, and I had nothing plugged in, he harumphed, left, and came back an hour later with two more guys who banged around for 45 minutes before fixing the problem.
This is a beautiful hotel, with a lovely garden and a nice pool. However, it's very old, needs a serious makeover, and a staff who have a clue as well as customer service skills.
I preferred the Stratford Inn next door - a much more pleasant stay in Del Mar.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — uninformed and grumpy staff
  • Stayed September 2004, travelled solo
2 Thank enzo1
Long Beach, Cal, USA
Reviewed 8 May 2007

I stayed here 3 times in April 2007. I chose this hotel because they offered a better rate than less-favorably reviewed properties closer to our field office. It was close enough and looked nicer.

It is a nice location. I enjoyed walking down to the beach cliffs for sunsets, and moon-gazing. I found it a bit odd that some of the rooms have kitchenettes, but no pans, dishes or utensils. The rooms were clean and mostly in good shape. One showed a little wear.

Each time I booked, I asked for an upper floor if possible, but I was always given a ground floor room -- I guess they charge more for the upper floors. The breakfast cart coming to the room is a bit off, but the pastries were fresh and good-quality. The worst thing I can say about this place is that on my last stay, I didn't get my breakfast because the clerk had checked the wrong time when she checked me in, and when I checked out the other clerk acted like it was my fault. Not even a pro forma apology. I trust she won't be there long.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — one bad clerk
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Bobert1
Reviewed 2 April 2007

This hotel was booked for me by an organization that I was visiting on business in Science Park.

Clarion is not a chain that I equate with quality, but this hotel is better than most and does not seem like part of a typical budget chain.

It's location is about two or three blocks south of central "downtown" Del Mar. It's close to, but not on the beach, and not necessarily where you would stay if you wanted to be at a beach resort in San Diego or La Jolla, especially if you have difficulty walking. (I would actually recommend Pacific Beach for that.) It's about two blocks west of the ocean, downhill, through a residential neighborhood, across the railroad tracks, and over some embankments to the beach. Alternatively, you could walk south about 10-15 minutes and go to the strip of beach at the north end of the Torrey Pines Reserve. Free parking is available. The loading zone parking spaces adjacent to the lobby, however, for check-in were consistently full, thus defeating their purpose. Exiting the hotel onto Coast Highway is dangerous, as the parking lot ascends a steep slope and you need to make a blind turn out into traffic.

The back side of the hotel has ocean views, especially from the upper floors, though it overlooks the roofline of adjacent apartments and homes. The front side overlooks the pool area and Coast highway. My room was on the ground floor and had a view of the nicely planted garden around the pool, but there was not much privacy, since there is a walkway right against the window. Highway noise was rather minimal.

The hotel appears older, probably 1960's, but is well maintained and reasonably updated and clean. It has a dark, wood paneled sort of atmosphere, pretending to be some sort of English country lodge, and it is actually quite pleasant.

My room had a small kitchenette, generally clean and recently remodeled, but with a slight smell of stale smoke. (The entire hotel, I thought, was supposed to be non-smoking.) The bathroom counter area around the sink could have been larger. The shower had a nice flow and plenty of hot water. Soap and towels were better than average. The ventilation system was overly complicated and required a remote control with instructions printed out on the wall. (I used the heating, so can't tell you if the airconditioning works.)

There was a free Wifi connection and good TV cable selection. There is a PC for guest use in the lobby.

The room had free bottled water. The continental breakfast was a bit odd. Hotel staff would bring a cart to the door at the time that I specified the night before and there was an offering of coffee, juice, and pastries. Free coffee was available in the lobby.

The staff seemed pleasant and was probably a cut above what you would expect for a typical Clarion in terms of professional appearance and competence.

In sum, if you are visiting the north county, the science park area, UCSD, or the golf course and have a car with you, then this is a good, clean, restful place. I think it's much less optimal if you're attempting to take part of the La Jolla / Del Mar sort of beach experience. And don't let the Clarion in its name fool you, it's a one-of-a-kind sort of place.

• Liked — Ambience and location
  • Disliked — Close to the beach, but not close enough to fully take advantage of being in Del Mar/San Diego
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank elastopathy
Tucson, Az
Reviewed 2 March 2007

This hotel was reccomended by a family member, who told me that it was an average hotel. That is definitely what it was. I recently went there with my husband for a fun getaway. We paid the extra price for a "new" room with an ocean view. The rooms are supposed to be like rooms from England, but they feel stuffy. The room is very small and is definitely not new at all. We did have a tiny balcony with a view of the ocean, but keep in mind the beach is about 15 minutes walking distance away.

The staff was very friendly, but at one point I called to have them bring an extra pillow to our room, and I was put on hold for over ten minutes. Finally my husband went down himself and got a pillow.

You do get to use a really nice gym that is a five minute drive for free. That is a plus. Also, Del Mar is a cute town. There isn't a ton to do there, but there are good places to eat like il Fornaio, Jakes and Americana. They also bring breakfast to you each morning, but as a health nut I didn't want pastries for breakfast.

I am not sure I would stay here again, but if I stayed in Del Mar and wanted a cheap hotel, I might. I would prefer PB or Carlsbad.

Stayed February 2007
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!