“Bloody Awesome”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Bloody Awesome”
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Let me just warn you that this review will be nothing but good things. So, if you want to know about any deficiencies in this hotel, I won't be saying much. I'll start off by saying that when I first looked up this place using GoogleMaps street view, it was a little bit daunting. It looked a little old from the outside, and I was worried that it would be one of those creaky old motels from a horror flick. When I got there, I entered the lobby and it was very small and cozy. I felt a little better. Check in went very smoothly and when I entered the room, I fell in love with it immediately. The sheets and towels were very clean. The free shampoo/soaps were from bath and body works and awesome. The room itself looked very modern, and it was just a fantastic stay. The hotel desk was very friendly. I called them multiple times to ask about restaurants within walking distance or pizza delivery numbers. Each time they offered great advice. My last favorite thing about the hotel was the free shuttle service to UCSD. I was there because I wanted to visit UCSD, and so the shuttle was a deciding factor. It was more like a free taxi ride, than a shuttle. You schedule in advance, and a person comes and takes you in a van to the campus. They ask you if you need a ride back and they ask you when and where. They are there waiting for you promptly and are willing to take you back to the hotel. What an awesome place.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BigKahuna92
silversurfersocal, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Dear BigKahuna92: Thank you for your ever so kind comments of our hotel and staff. We often have UCSD families & VIP visitors alike stay with us here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn. We’re just minutes away from UCSD with our shuttle van, and driving by the ocean often offers a moment to clear your mind before speeches, seminars’, interviews and other events which often makes for a more pleasant visit!

Reading your comments to TripAdvisor; makes me proud to be apart of this hotel and UCSD extended family! I sincerely hope you had a successful trip and best of luck if you attend UCSD, I believe it’s one of the best university’s in the nation. Hope to have you visit us again in the future.
Clarion Del Mar Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 October 2010

The Del Mar Inn is a lovely spot, marred by the fact that we didn't want to leave! Our room, overlooking the beautiful garden/pool area, was charming, and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. We beg to differ with the person who did not like the continental breakfast served free very morning. We thought it was delicious and generous, and the caring woman who served us was wonderful. The hotel is in a perfect spot (although not AT the beach; I think that should be pointed out to those who might think it is) in that it is right in the hub of relaxing, affordable and fun downtown Del Mar, with its neat restaurants and shops. (We particularly liked the huge sandwiches at Board & Brew, and the enchanting bookstore). One thing I must report: Do not look for the Del Mar Inn with the name Clarion! It was very frustrating to keep going round and round after a long car ride, and finally realizing that it is no longer a Clarion and that the Clarion sign is barely noticeable. Management really needs to change this in its advertising. However, that is a minor point. We've toured the whole California coast, and we feel that Del Mar offers the best beaches, the best, most accessible panoramic views of surf and surfers alike, and the easiest shopping/restaurant situation for visitors. Go! You won't be disappointed!

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheKlevers
Dear Klevers: My apologies for the Clarion Signage; as we were known as The Del Mar Inn before becoming The Clarion Del Mar Inn. In the immediate future new signs which will promote Clarion more predominately: As we are apart of this small unique upscale franchise.

Regarding all else; in the immediate future we’ll be offering a full buffet breakfast. Rose will continue with her outstanding service to our patrons – (she’s truly the best). By reviewing your comments, I was very happy to read you ladies enjoyed yourselves and found our beautiful sea side village location truly a diamond in the rough. I can only hope you return to our hotel and village into the future as we continue to better ourselves to serve our visitors and guests.
Manager

PS: I’m hoping you’re the ladies who were searching for the book store, that’s how we knew it’s you! I often share TripAdvisor comments with my staff; many of us remember unique circumstances and guests.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Having endured enough of the San Francisco fog we decided to head down the coast for some much needed sunshine. The Del Mar Inn did not disappoint. Perfectly located just a few minutes from the beach we were able to make the most of our weekend escape. Our room had a great balcony with an amazing view of the ocean. The beds were also surprisingly comfortable and led to some over sleeping.

We did not rent a car as our goal was not to leave the beach for the duration of our stay, and luckily the hotel is located within walking distance of all of the wonderful restaurants in "down town" Del Mar. The front desk was also very helpful with recommendations.

Would definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a quality weekend retreat at the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tessari
silversurfersocal, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 13 September 2010
Dear Tessari: Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate travelers’ comments for others to read and review for their own future visits to the beautiful Sea Side Village of Del Mar.
Great to read you didn’t require any driving as I believe our location is one of our greatest attributes here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn. Stay warm in San Francisco.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Great location in Del Mar. We were able to walk to restaurants, beach and local shopping. Very friendly staff. Almost felt like a bed and breakfast. Liked the small library to have coffee and read the paper. Room had a nice view of the ocean. It was clean and roomy.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Walt4515
Dear Walt: Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

It’s always our pleasure & highest priority to at all times exceed our guest’s expectations. We greatly appreciate travelers’ comments similar to yours for others to read and review for their own future visits to the beautiful Sea Side Village of Del Mar.

Great to read we could accommodate you while you enjoyed your time here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 August 2010

A place we love to go and relax every summer! Love the Old-World charm of this hotel and it's beautiful colorful garden and pool. Many of the rooms have amazing coastal views and we loved watching the sunsets from our balcony. The staff was very hospitable and friendly...plus it's a 100 percent non-smoking place!! This hotel is so unique and I love to get away from the AZ heat and return to the Clarion Del Mar every year!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank O0hlala
Colorado
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Nice staff, good location, but noisy if you face the pool - their website showed a different perspective. showers were dreadful - weak water pressure- fluctuating temperature. Co7uld hear a nearby shower running.

pool was very noisy - street traffic

breakfast was mediocre - don't give me a free dreadful breakfast- .tyupical "continental" style - they talk about a hot breakfast - but that's just if you toast the day old bagels. I'd rather have a decent breakfast I pay for

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
baryshka, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 August 2010
Dear MC116: Thank you for your email comments. As it states in our lobby signage, we’re under renovations – soon to be completed. It’s unfortunate to read your expectations weren’t completely met.
All of us here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn attempt to exceed our guests’ expectations while visiting the Hotel in the beautiful Sea Side Village of Del Mar. We hope to have you visit us again in the near future to enjoy all of our new furnishings and amenities.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Although undergoing some renovations, this motor inn was very charming. The pool area and garden were pretty and they had a good continental breakfast. This inn is walking distance to the village of Del Mar, with great restaurants, and it's beautiful beach. *Use caution when walking at night for some areas don't have a sidewalk and is dimly lighted! Bully's Prime Rib is a great old skool steakhouse. My only complaint was that the weather sucked, the pool was too cold to swim in, the garden view room balcony was too small, and of course some rudely tenants.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trippychick2008
silversurfersocal, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 8 July 2010
Dear trippychick2008: Thank you for your kind comments and photo’s. Reviewing your other contributions and travels; you seem to be a seasoned veteran traveler. Bully’s is the best when it comes to a old school steak house.

That's why it’s so very important when a seasoned traveler like yourself writes a pleasant & positive review of our hotel. Your comments help others to review and decide for themselves to visit The Clarion Del Mar Inn and our Sea Side Village of Del Mar.

My apologies for the weather, “the off again/on again June Gloom has held on into July” I’m confident it will pass in a day or so and our beautiful summer whether will prevail for the rest of our summer season.
Clarion Del Mar Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!