“Great Intro to Camping”

Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Descanso
More attraction details
Owner description: This park's beautiful pine and oak forests, meadows and streams are unusual in this part of the country.
California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Intro to Camping”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I recently had my first "legit" camping experience at Cuyamaca State Park, in the Paso Pichacho campground. It's a great site for people who are new to camping that may want to ease into it, as it has running taps, restrooms, and even warm showers (bring quarters). There are also some camp spots within the grounds where the car parking spot is paved, so your car doesn't even have to go "off-road" for a second. Firewood is available for purchase, too.

There are many hikes, of which I did two, both of which are very doable (just bring plenty of water, especially for Cuyamaca Peak), with several great views along the way (Stonewall peak had the better view, I thought). Make sure to bring a camera!

You'll have to bring your own food, and be aware that you are in nature, even at the campground itself, so don't leave food out unattended, or else you'll get ants and other pests.

Also, while in the area, stop by the nearby town of Julian, CA for some amazing pies!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank emcee24

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Awesome trails”
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Cuyamaca has so many trails, it would be difficult to get bored. One of my favorite places to hike, bike or camp.

3 Thank LDHallihan
Santee, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“A Little of everything!”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Cuyamaca is Fantastic. Camping in the state park has always been a Great Experience. My wife and I have camped there for years and after we had children...we still consider it one of our favorite Camping spots.
The lake is great fun and fishing is my kids favorite thing to do. Catfish are always plentiful and great fun for my 11 and 13 year olds.
Not a ton of things to do which to us...makes it prfect! Camp, walk trails, fish, RELAX!!!!

Visited July 2012
5 Thank Dave A
Pensacola, Florida
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Very nice”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I enjoyed the hike I did on Mt. Cuyamaca. Even though the weather was fairly poor with bad visibility and some light mist, it was an enjoyable hike. The cooler weather was refreshing and the hike itself is not too much of a challenge in terms of terrain so it's great to bring amateur hikers who are in shape (there are a few fairly steep inclines). Not many people at all were around which was also nice - made me enjoy the rural nature of it all the more.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Danma11
Chula Vista, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Green Valley Falls”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Took the kids camping at the beginning of the warm season. Stayed at Green Valley Falls. Spring is when the falls are running good, so the kids could see it in action. We'd been there a couple of time in late summer but not much water is "falling" by then. Very Pleasent stay.

Visited May 2012