“Lost paradise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Studio City
“Lost paradise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I have been coming to 2Bunch since the mid 80's, I was captivated by this awesome place.

My daughter, sister in law and I visited this past weekend and were somewhat dissapointed at our stay. I know they have sold the spa to producers and they are in transition, I understand all that, but the cool pool was not cool (which is controlled and regulated) and the Hot spa was not hot and both were very dirty. There was no hot water coming down into the hot spa. There were no pads on the lounge chairs , as I dont know where they expected people to sit or lay down, on hot metal?

Of course we made our way up to the office and complained. You couldnt even be in the hot spa as there were leaves and debris from the plants. Well, the staff moved their little fannies(Im sure they were told) and cleaned both and added the lounge pads.

We were satisfied, all we asked for was clean and pristine, this is a spa after all. The next day the cool pool was a little bit cooler, but not much, I know it was extremely hot, but I have been there before when its been hot and the cool pool was very refreshing. .

I hear they have plans for twobunch and the new owners took it over in April and its already Aug. I would hate to see this wonderful property go down the tubes. It has a lot of history and its a magical place. It hasnt lost its magic though. Treatments are still great. The food was very good and the service in the Casino was great.

Room Tip: There are many types of rooms, suites, casitas you can rent.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Glendale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Where do I start? This spa not only has many great amenities but the staff were all so nice and accommodating. Everyone really bent over backwards to be genuine and helpful. And I mean ALL the staff. This is a great place to stay with many charming nooks and meditative spots where you can quietly enjoy your stay. Some small communication errors but honestly, it all goes away with the great over-all charm. My masseuse, Derrick, was simply the best. You won't regret staying here.

Room Tip: 18A. Quiet and pretty w your own back yard
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed overnight on a Thursday, at a rate of $129 through Expedia (before taxes and fees). We requested a room in the Grotto area and got room #2, right behind the gift shop/office. It was charming and well kept and even had a full kitchen, stocked with utensils! The bathroom was 1940's tile but nicely kept up, and was stocked with aloe vera Crabtree & Evelyn shampoo, conditioner, body wash and soap, as well as shower cap, q-tips, cotton balls and a hair dryer. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were all on the thick side, so you may want to bring your own if you like a flatter pillow. The only thing less than perfect about the room was the air conditioner, which blew directly onto one side of the bed (fortunately, my husband's side!). We figured out how to modify the temperature of the air, but it still blew pretty hard, even on the lowest fan setting.

The two mineral pools were relaxing and QUIET. The larger one is lukewarm and the smaller one is jacuzzi temperature. The cool pool was cool but not cold, very pleasant, and QUIET. Beware of ducks landing on it like little sea planes in the afternoons! The best thing about the cool pool was the cold towels they bring you, with a tiny dab of peppermint essence (very refreshing in the 107-degree heat!). There is cold water poolside, and you can get free lemonade and iced tea in the little salon adjoining the restaurant. Lunch at the restaurant is affordable and quite decent, but two margaritas cost us $32 (before tip!). I'd recommend buying your booze at Vons down the street and keeping it in your mini-fridge.

Room Tip: Grotto area rooms are much closer to the spa, restaurant, cool pool and mineral pools (good to know...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vlaurend
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I am coming back to review again. We just got back from our stay. Wish we could have stayed longer. We love it there. My past review mourned that Dan was no longer working there but we continue to view Two Bunch as the only place on earth we can really be absolutely at peace and relaxed. All this place needs is a little deferred maintenance and some cosmetic touches and it will be back to back to the good ole days.

Here is my one gripe...normally, as soon as we enter the driveway, we feel immediate relaxation like Pavlov's dog kind of reflex. We did this time as well until we were told our room would not be ready. We kept checking back multiple times and it turned out the occupants who stayed the prior night would not check out in time. We started to get stressed since we now had spent the first hour discussing our room. We were told guaranteed check in was at 3 but we did not get in until after 3. We were told several times that it would be another 20 minutes. Okay, now I understand that happens but we asked to speak with the general manager to discuss. I NEVER HEARD FROM HIM!!! Not one call to check in with us, not one message left with the front desk that he got our message and would reply...NOTHING!! Very rude customer service that got me aggrevated which is not what I want to feel there, especially spurred by the new general manager of our special place.

I guess Dan spoiled us but this is what loyal customers want...a recognition of a relationship. Something that signals a special nod that loyal customers (us for over a quarter of a century) are appreciated...something. I am not talking about material things. I am talking a relationship thing. NOTE to new owners, train your higher managers to pay attention to your guests. It will help make the place feel like the home it used to be to the people who have supported it through the years.

To the general manager, whoever you are since we never saw you...we hope you get with it. Maybe take some lessons from Dan.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank laurence3
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

If complete relaxation is your goal, this is the place to visit. No cell phones are allowed to be used on the grounds or in the restaurant. It is asked that you use cell phones in your room only. The result is a resort free from the peripheral notice that we del with every day. For me, it was a welcome retreat.

The suites are large. It was pretty clean. I did see a few bugs but nothing excessive. I was pleasantly surprised to find a private back yard. There were skylights in the livi room and bathroom - loved the natural light. It was great to stay at a place which clearly is committed to energy conservation.

The restaurant food was ok, the atmosphere romantic. If you Iike to see what you're eating, sit near the fireplace where there is more light.

The views were great, and the Spa treatment (Mud and Sun) very relaxing. I am planning to make this excursion a yearly event.

Room Tip: Even the furthest room is a short walk from the main parts of the resort.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Kathie M
Laguna Hills, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We hadn't been here in a couple of years and were pleased to see that it was mostly the same great getaway it's always been. We've always appreciated the down-to-earth and laid back feel. Not snooty or elitist like some spa resorts can be. The spa and spa services are awesome (with some unique offerings) and they have some of the best therapists anywhere. The front desk and resort staff right down to the house- and grounds-keeping staff are also very helpful and friendly. With a little planning ahead you wouldn't have to leave the property your whole stay.

I recommend getting a larger room with the kitchenette and refrigerator so you can stock some snacks and do some of your own meals. The restaurant is very nice but it can add up fast. I'd recommend the restaurant for lunch and dinner - but I can't recommend the breakfast. Breakfast used to be a nice buffet but is now a menu service and the meal was mediocre at best (we sent one of our entrees back). Their liquor license came through on July 21. The rooms are pretty nice and very comfortable - a little worn around the edges maybe but everything has always worked fine.

We could tell that the staff (especially the spa staff) are pretty nervous about the recent change in ownership. There is concern about whether the character of the resort will change and whether the current staff will fit in with the new owner's strategy. Apparently there is an outside consultant evaluating everything - and everyone.... I really hope it doesn't change. The main reasons we come are for the quality of the spa staff and treatments, and for the relaxed and non-pretentiousness of the place. We have been turned off by other spa resorts that cater to a richer clientele and therefore put on airs. We are ordinary folks and have always felt welcome here.

Note that the website home page sports a SpaFinder logo for recognition they received in 2008 - but the resort does not accept SpaFinder certificates or gift cards. I think that's a little misleading so double-check on what they honor beforehand so you don't get surprised.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MFKiesser
La Mirada, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

This place was a great find and deal in groupon. My fiancée and I had already agreed that we should make this a routine to come and get away from the kids in a bi-yearly basis.
Our room was excellent...we just needed some decent pest control. Keep your food in the fridge and your bags off the floor. We were informed that they had pest control come but they need someone else to come.
The tubs were stained and the toilet seats were chipped, and some of the towels were unraveling which was awkward to see.
The best part was the mineral pool. The no kid policy and being able to lounge in the pool without being splashed or noisy kids was a big plus as we left ours at home and did not want to deal with kids.
This was definitely a great place, the food was limited but very tasty. I can't wait to see how great this place is after the planned renovations.

• Stayed July 2012