“A True Desert Oasis”
Review of Two Bunch Palms

Two Bunch Palms
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 September 2012

HEAVEN ON EARTH!! From the moment I checked in to the moment we left this gorgeous paradise, we were treated like royalty and we felt as if we had stepped into another, much more slow-paced and relaxing, environment. The staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating (when we asked where an ice machine was located while having breakfast, we were asked how many bags we would like, which were promptly delivered to our table!). We were celebrating my friend's birthday, and when I casually mentioned that fact to a member of the wait staff, she asked what Room No. we were in and I responded, expecting a card or other small acknowledgment. When we returned to our room that evening, we had a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us with glasses and a congratulatory card! This is truly a first class resort in every way - peaceful, private, dignified, well-kept and beautiful natural surroundings. The food at the restaurant is excellent, as was the service. The General Manager welcomed guests to the restaurant very graciously. The hot spring grotto is out of this world in its therapeutic and healing properties. The history of the resort is fascinating, as it was Al Capone's desert hideaway with his mistress. Following a two day stay there, I am completely rejuvenated and ready to face the world once again! I have NEVER had such a magical hotel experience and I recommend it highly!!!

Room Tip: This is our second time here and both rooms were lovely - quiet and peaceful with private courtyards...

Reviewed 17 September 2012

This was an awesome place to stay and the accommodation was very reasonably old fashioned. There were even some quaint stone buildings which we were unable to stay in as agreed due to renovations, but there were several extremely redeeming qualities to this resort.

Firstly, the hot springs proved to be extremely relaxing and they are available for use around the clock, Also, the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The was no milk or cream in the suites, however, and they were roomy if a little aged.

Secondly, the restaurant was first class and so too were the staff. The prices here were very reasonable like the accommodation. Massage, Yoga and Qi Gong were also available.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed with one of my friends @ Two Bunch Palms. I have worked in some higher end hotels/resorts (Lowes and Marriott) and found Two Bunch to be really relaxing and pleasant. The staff at the front desk were really helpful, I enjoyed the yoga class and swimming in the cold/hot pools and seeing wildlife on the grounds. There were roadrunners, rabbits and coyotes. We had breakfast there each morning and it was delicious. The first day were scrambled eggs w/soy chorizo (sp?) and the second eggs florentine. The view of the mountains from the restaurant is really beautiful. The hotel room and beds were comfortable and attractive too. I also enjoyed the hot chocolate chip cookies in the check-in area.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had the opportunity to stay at Two Bunch over the Labor Day weekend. Folks go there for the therapeutic grotto pool and the Spa. While everything on the surface seemed Ok, there were so many disconnected events that you never knew what was to come next. For example, no advertised WIFI in the room, so they gave us a 20% discount. The restaurant which seats about 60 never had more than about 16 patrons in it. Large menu, too bad one entry came out twenty minutes after the other three. Wait folks seemed inexperienced in what to do when something like this happens. They were apologetic and waived a $15 corkage fee, but no one from management (actually we never saw anyone from management the entire stay) came out to deal with the awkward situation and obviously very under-trained staff. Then they offered a complementary eastern exercise program, but the instructor never showed up. They offered a $15 comp for the daily spa fee charge. So what is apparently missing is front of the house management, some good training and the ability to execute. Would we go back, probably, since this is more shabby chic than high end resort. But if they don't get their act together there may not be a resort to go back to. Also they have this very peculiar rule about being quiet throughout the grounds which doesn't really work well. The ambiance they are trying to create doesn't work with the reality of folks attempting to communicate amongst themselves. They ought to shelve this idea. Of yes, go when it is cooler, Palm Springs is an oven in the summer.

Room Tip: They will not pre assign rooms even if you want, but make darned sure your is near the Grotto or you...
1  Thank Bruce O
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Two Bunch Palms… simply put, amazing. I’m a little late with my review (I was there in May, it’s now Sept), but better late than never—right? This is a long review so I’ll give you the highlights if you don’t want to continue on:
• There were no children – awesome
• Immaculate grounds – sweet
• The Grotto – unbelievable
• The accommodations – clean, private, spacious, airy, comfortable
• The restaurant – a little pricey, but not bad – tasty food and nice décor
• The spa – worked great for me, but I’m not a spa-goer so…

And on with the review. I arrived midweek and loved everything about this place. The guests were very quiet, respected the whole “speak in a whisper” policy and the grotto was never crowded. In fact, most of the times I went for a soak, I was one of only two to three people, and frequently had the whole thing to myself. And that there were no small children running around was perfect. Kids are cool, but sometimes you just want to sit in a hot tub, or do laps in a pool without them splashing all around you. And having two private terraces extending from my unit (I had one of the fountain rooms with a sort of separate bedroom area) was a nice touch.

There is plenty of wildlife all over the grounds, I love nature! Rabbits and hares, roadrunners, eagles, waterfowl, turtles (even bats, I think they were bats) and coyotes in the fringes. It was really interesting to see so much wildlife up close. One rabbit almost came inside my unit one night (I had my terrace doors open), but turned and ran when it saw me stand up. As corny as it sounds, I actually enjoyed (found it very therapeutic) to feed the ducks and turtles and fish in the ponds. But anyway…

On the weekend, things changed slightly. The place gets a lot more visitors, understandably so, and many of them do not exactly respect the whisper rule. So it took about a day and half to adjust to them. I was happy to see more “younger faces” as the weekend came (I think I was the youngest guest there during the earlier part of the week), but many of them seemed to just completely ignore the whole “this is a place of relaxation” thing and wanted to get their party on. Not horrible, but as I said, it took some getting used to.

The staff was great. Very accommodating, and didn’t bat an eye to lend a hand with any request. I did one yoga class/session? It was my first time, and the instructor was crazy funny. It was a very non-pressure kind of feel. Great for first timers like myself. The spa was pretty great too. Although, you might need to take that with a grain of salt as this was my first spa experience. The mud bath thing was a cool experience, but man did it stink to high hell! I mean literally, foul odor. They do help with some incense, but that stuff only helps a little. Still it was fun and getting a massage right after the mud bath thing is definitely the way to go. Covers up a bit of the mud funk too, though you’ll still want/need to lather up real good with some soap to get that off.

The restaurant was pretty cool too. The food is a little pricier than it deserves, but you don’t mind too much because, hey, you’re on vacation and the setting and service is nice. Plus it’s nice to just roll up to a nice spot in your robe and some swim trunks and not have anyone look at you like you’re crazy.

Back to the grotto for a minute. I don’t know what’s in that water. They claim natural minerals from nearby springs… I say some kind of hybrid drug that the FDA hasn’t figured out yet (kidding of course). This thing is simply amazing. You go in thinking, “what’s all this hype about,” you come out thinking, “how in the hell have I lived up to this point without ever having experience something so incredible?” Be forewarned, it is addictive! And please, please, please, drink plenty of water!!! Even though you’re in the water, you will get a bit dehydrate. They have plenty of ice cold, complimentary water with fresh citrus (mostly lemons/oranges) in it all over the resort, so water is easy to find.

If you go hiking in the desert backyard (and you’re new to desert hikes), bring a lot of water and don’t get too close any bramble bushes (cactus). I stepped on one that I never even saw (partially buried in the sand?), even though I was being careful, and it pierced the bottom of my shoe to stab my foot. While pulling the barbs out, I got another bramble stuck in my arm. Tres annoying. So be careful, or just stay on the wide dirt trails (like fire roads) and you won’t have to worry about anything.

Go in town to find your basic grocery supplies for your stay, fast food if you feel like a cheap bite to eat, and liquor (it’s a dry resort – at least it was in May, they may have gotten it by now. The town is kind of sketchy a couple of hour after it gets dark, so do your shopping early.

All in all, this place is definitely worth the price of admission, and then some. I’ll be back for sure. In fact, I can’t wait to get back!

Room Tip: Grotto rooms are closer to the grotto/spa/restaurant, are older and not quite as private. The Fount...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Another2Cents
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I went to this spa with my mother. We floated around relaxing in the Grotto and had wonderful facials at the spa. Breakfast was mediocre. The eggs weren't very good so we stuck to yogurt, fruit and toast. Dinner was great. I would suggest splitting dinner if you are not a big eater because they served huge helpings. Also be careful ordering wine. I only "meant" to order 2 glasses and they assumed I wanted the bottle. The were very nice about the misunderstanding and only charged me for the 2 glasses. All in all it was nice for a quick getaway triptrip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Brandi T
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Old, decaying, awkward, difficult, dark interiors. Decent, not spectacular staff. Outstanding, sublime, and downright spectacular massages from Derrick. On Sunday, the resort closed at noon for a 10 day renovation (needs at least 10 months worth) and missed an opportunity to win some loyal friends. People who planned months in advance were given no notice of the renovation. Instead on Saturday the gatekeeper and housekeeping handed out flyers announcing the renovation and their intent to "strictly enforce" a 12 noon Sunday checkout and departure from the premises. People who had traveled from other states and arranged evening return flights were out a full day at the pools (btw the natural mineral water hot spring pool is chlorinated) and on the grounds. Seriously? Who starts a renovation on Sunday at noon? Instead of evicting customers, why not pass out a flyer saying,"We're closing for renovation tomorrow! So spend the day on the premises and enjoy a late checkout on us!" Yes, they blew it.

Here's how to enjoy the place. Stay at the Colony, Viceroy or Parker and come here to day spa.

Room Tip: The house on the hill is funky and tired, one room is a converted garage and you have to enter one o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends