“Charming Place to Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hope Springs

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Hope Springs
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Tempe, Arizona
“Charming Place to Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Desert Hot Springs is a fascinating town. Hope Springs was fascinating too. It was built in the 50s and still had a lot of charm. It was nice to not have a TV in the room. Upon arrival, read right outside our room while the afternoon wind whipped the palms about. It was cool to watch the wind in the trees. Enjoyed the enclosed pool, the hottest of them all with Carbon the cat sitting by our side. Separate towels and robes are provided to enjoy the pools. We used the BBQ area to make a meal and connect with each other. We stayed on a Saturday night and were serenaded by Koreans staying in the motel next door. Their merriment extended a wee bit after 10 pm.

Breakfast was ok for me. I enjoyed the cuties, walnut and cranberry toast with butter.

Overall, charming place to stay with a lot of character. Just a few areas for the staff at Hope Springs to address: making sure the ovens and stove coils work with the rooms that have a kitchenette, cleaning the chairs in the room.

Room Tip: Stayed in the room furthest from the hot tub with the jets. This was a great choice to enjoy the qu...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Thermal, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

I will start with the positive by saying that the breakfast (included in one's stay) was very nice. It was plentiful with both healthy and satisfying options made of quality ingredients. It was the best part of the stay by far.

The Hope Springs "Resort" is definitely not a resort or a spa, as they advertise. It's much more like a hostel where you can ask the owner to call a friend to give you a massage, if the masseuse happens to be available. The images on the web site are out of date by, guessing from the wear on everything, a decade or more. I also have NO idea how they received the reviews that they have featured on their web site home page. Whatever Hope Springs "Resort" was in the past it definitely is no longer.

We booked a reservation for the last several days of our honeymoon. We were utterly disappointed and heart broken upon arrival. This was not only our honeymoon but the first vacation we've had in several years. I wouldn't write a bad review of a little independent place like this unless it was warranted but we felt so deceived and don't want anyone else to have the same experience. We weren't looking for decadence but we were expecting a high-quality clean somewhat pampered resort/spa experience to end our honeymoon. Be advised they also have a 72 hour in advance of arrival cancellation policy. We also called ahead of booking to chat about what we were looking for etc. to try to avoid this kind of surprise but were given the impression that we were coming to a full service resort/spa.

When we arrived and walked into the lobby (the web site image with the round pillows circling a tiny indoor pond) it was small, stuffy, not air conditioned, and worst of all it reeked of pet/dog. The owner/manager's office and living quarters directly open into this lobby space. This is the only indoor common area for guests. There was also a sickly cat (head cone and all) that kept sneaking out of the owner's quarters and wondering around. You'd have to go get the owner every time the poor cat would wonder into the guest areas.

There are indeed three nice spring fed pools. They are small and primarily for soaking. The structure enclosing the hottest of the pools is rundown and dreary, crumbling wood/paint. The lounge chairs on the grounds are all old and stained. The grounds are lush in places but we woke our first morning to find the owners dog going to the bathroom on the grass right next to lounge chairs. This small grassy area did smell of dog pee and clearly was often where the dog went to the bathroom.

The shared guest kitchenette was tiny and has also seen better days. It felt like what I imagine an old frat house kitchen would be like, except the size of a closest. The refrigerator was barely cold and there were no utensils? For ice, there were a dozen or so old ice cube trays in the freezer. The web site makes no mention of needing to bring all of your own items if you'd like to use the advertised resort kitchen. Who travels with a kitchen? It was stocked with only salt, really old plastic cups, a microwave, shared refrigerator, and a some giant serving bowls. There is a bbq outside but let's remember it's 105 on a regular basis. There are no nice restaurants nearby, only fast food and strip mall fare.

There were some mid-century furniture pieces sprinkled through out, all chairs. The minimal aesthetic and lure of mid-century furniture was something that attracted us from their web site. The minimalist rooms all surround and face the pools/courtyard with one wall of large windowed doors. Seemingly nice but it's 100 + degrees and they only have thin Ikea curtains covering the windows so your room is like an oven. Our room also had a strange overwhelming smell that I suspect may have been freon from the little overworked air conditioning unit. The bottled amenity soaps in the bathroom had gobs of dried soap scum on the bottom of them so either they had not been changed out from the previous guests or the soap dish hadn't been washed? I do like the brand of soap they had but again I was horrified that it appeared they had been re-used. The bathroom was old and worn out, water stained, badly painted, dirty black slimy shower drain etc. Going back to the thin curtains issue, this also means that there is no privacy at night since your room essentially becomes a light box through which everything you are doing is seen, not ideal for your honeymoon. They also have not bothered to sew the curtains together to seal the space between them and they aren't big enough to cover the entire wall of windows that face the courtyard and the rooms on the other side of the courtyard.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank S L
nancymanager_12, Manager at Hope Springs, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear S.L.,
I have read through your detailed review carefully, point by point. I could dispute many of your remarks but that would not address the crux of the matter. Hope Springs was not the right hotel for you.
We are a small operation with a small staff. We take pride in taking care of our guests, yet we are not equipped to pamper them the way you seem to have anticipated. I apologize if anyone here led you to believe otherwise.
I am deeply sorry to see that you were "utterly disappointed and heartbroken" before you had even unpacked and that this was the last segment of your honeymoon could only have heightened your distress. Your once-in-a-lifetime experience was marred by unfulfilled expectations.
We care about our guests' experiences at HopeSprings and honeymoon or middle- of- the- week visit, we want everyone to have a positive and relaxing stay with us. Had you expressed your dissatisfaction to us when you arrived we could have negotiated a way to close your honeymoon on a far more pleasant note.
I wish you the best in your marriage.
nancy jackson
manager
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

So happy to have found this place. Perfect little spot If you like sunny skies and starry nights. Very user friendly with an outdoor grilling area and common kitchen.
Great for a quick getaway or a longer sojourn. Fresh, healthy breakfast and the mineral waters are sublime.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MiCasaEsSuCasa
Laguna Niguel, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

My wife and I have been coming here since it opened. We can honestly say it has continued to improve--ironically by just being the same, which is very low key, clean, quiet and calm. Nancy,
the manager, does a fine job in overseeing everything, including offering wonderful breakfasts.

Finally, as a wellness-oriented medical doctor, I want to commend Art, the massage therapist, for just about the best most therapeutic massages my wife and I have ever had. He is attentive and skillful, and in all aspects of his work, he is the ultimate professional!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank etmd
Ashland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I enjoyed my one night at Hope Hotsprings.I made my reservation last minute on the phone with Nancy who was informative and pleasant..I arrived later in the day and was greeted my Melinda who was very nice and gave me a nice little tour..The grounds are nicely maintained.The pools are clean and inviting.My room was very Zen..Very clean,sparse,and faced the pool..Being an artist,if I owned the hotel I would probably add a little more art on the walls and a couple area rugs...but I don't own the place and it is what it is.The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was great,fresh fruit,coffee or tea,fritatta..In some ways it reminded me of an upscale travelers hostel(community kitchen and spaces)...I will definitely come back again...Oh I almost forgot, I received an awesome deep tissue massage by Art that was 1 hour..Great place in my opinion...not for everyone...and maybe that is a good thing...worked for me....thanks for reading...happy trails...

Room Tip: All the rooms face the pool..some have kitchens.Mine did not have a kitchen.I did not see what the o...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Karen R
missoula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the simple but fabulous stay we had at Hope Springs Resort. Rooms are clean and simple. Breakfast was delicious and made with organic and great ingredients. We cooked at the community grill and kitchen. We loved the 3 pools with hot spring water. Overall a fantastic place we will recommend to all our friends.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank atlapetes
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Sweet quiet minimal. If you really just want a break this is a cool place to sit by the pool and hot springs. Rooms are minimal - no phone, no TV, no kids, no noise, only 1 chair kind of place. Nothing fancy at all, simple. Breakfast is good. Desert Hot Springs is kind of a pit however. So far we've had to go into Palm Springs for everything, don't bother with any restaurants in DHS. They're depressing actually. So if you want off the beaten path with no distractions, this place is good. Bathrooms, and the whole place, are very 70s. But water pressure is good. I would come back but next time with a good bottle of wine and my own snacks.

Room Tip: You don't want to be next to the outdoor grill.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple