“a little oasis”
Review of Hope Springs

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Hope Springs
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Reviewed 30 October 2009

This little boutique hotel is on the outskirts of Desert Hot Springs, a town that is rather blah and a bit run down in areas. You would never know any of that while staying at Hope Springs. It's a cute little mid-century modern place, with wonderful hot springs to soak your troubles away. The place is clean and well maintained, the rooms are bare, but in a stylish modern way. The beds are super comfortable. There's only ten rooms, so you don't feel like you're in some faceless, impersonal large hotel. Chloe, the manager, was very nice and helpful. There is a very friendly cat that hangs out on the property, and may even try to enter your room if you're not paying attention! A very nice continental breakfast is served in the mornings. There's a common kitchen area, which from what I remember, doesn't have a stove, but there's a toaster and microwave. You're about 40 mins from the north-west entrance to Joshua Tree National Monument, and about 15 mins away from Palm Springs. There's aren't any restaurants nearby, but there's a helpful list of restaurants given, and I recommend driving into one of the suggested Palm Springs restaurants to eat. They offer spa services, but you need to order it 48 hours in advance. It's really a terrific gem, which gets most of it's business through word of mouth.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank auradawn

Reviewed 25 March 2009

Me and my husband were supposed to stay two nights and had such a fabulous time we extended it to three. So glad we did. Sitting by the pool, enjoying the hot tub, the relaxed vibe and the beautiful panorama view of the mountains is something I could enjoy everyday for the rest of my life.

Loved the breakfast - yummy fruit, bread and eggs. Healthy but filling. And plenty of cucumber-orange water and tea to help stay hydrated. The toiletries rocked too.

We spent the morning and later afternoons poolside but Joshua Tree was close enough for us to spend most of the day hiking around, which was beautiful.

I was a little concered it would be modern in a cold way but it wasn't - the rooms were lovely, light filled and I could probably spend all day in that bed. The staff were all really helpful and accomodating too.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BayAreaRio
Reviewed 17 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at Hope Springs for a long weekend getaway and we enjoyed every minute of it.

I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor. I read almost all the reviews of Dessert Hot Springs hotels, and many of them looked similarly good. The reason I chose Hope Springs is because it seemed to have the perfect balance of mid century modern minimalism without the bare bones, institutional feel. And my experience staying there was everything I hoped for. The vibe was retro, zen, colorful, warm and ultra comfortable. Our room was spotless and smelled like fresh air. It had a charming kitchen with vintage ceramic dishes, plastic wine glasses (so you can drink around the pool), a mini fridge, microwave, and a table with 2 chairs. We also had a little table and chairs on our private patio. We liked the shared kitchen too, which was stocked with cucumber water, tea, coffee and condiments.

Garfield (one of the owners) prepared a light breakfast every morning - hard boiled eggs, fruit, cheese, breads. We had interesting conversations with him and people from all over the US, Canada and Europe. We spent hours lounging near the pool and in the hot tub - all natural spring water. We had views of the mountains from almost every direction. I have no idea what nearby hotels ranked higher are really like, and I probably never will, because Hope Springs was a #1 experience in my book, and I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2009

I'm from Amsterdam, Holland. I came to the States to make a tour to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and San Francisco. This place was recommended to me by a friend in Los Angeles. He said it was wise to start the trip, with a relaxed spot, not too far from the crazyness of the big city. He was right, it did hit the spot! I was lucky, because in the two-day stay, the only other person in the resort was the owner, Garfield and he made me lattes in the morning. Not bad!! Cherelle, the new manager, impressed me: she came to Desert Hot Springs, from San Francisco......in a Smart!!
A true gem in the Desert!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2008

A vintage modern desert hideaway - Hope Springs is the perfect place for a quick check out from the daily grind, instant relaxation upon arrival ...

We have been coming back to Hope Springs for the chill out factor for years. No phone, no TV, no minibar - instead a stereo w/ iPod hookup , some great books and an eclectic mix of vintage modern furniture and artwork in every room. Each of the ten rooms has its own private patio, facing the hot spring fed pools and some rooms come with a full kitchen - perfect for when you just want to chill with some snacks and a bottle of wine without over leaving the compound ...

An amazing breakfast spread is served every morning in the communal kitchen - tropical fruit, fresh pastries, cereals and an ever changing variety of other yummy noshs, along with a great strong coffee and a selection of morning teas.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My husband and I spent a single night here at the recommendation of a friend. We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located in a less than charming neighborhood, with very few dining options. Hit the road to Palm Springs or Ranch Mirage for food! Once inside the hotel, you feel transported. The rooms are basic and stylish, the three spas are heavenly.

I enjoyed the breakfast immensely: it was not your typical continental breakfast spread, but rather an inventive, vegetarian-friendly hodge-podge.

This place is perfect for hanging out by the pool with a book or recovering after a day of climbing in Joshua Tree (not too far away).

We plan to return in the winter.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrowninLA
Reviewed 11 May 2008

From Day One (literally, we stayed with them before they formally opened) this has been one of our favorite hotels on earth. We try to come back for a couple of days whenever we are in southern California. It's comfortable, easy, and clean, and most important, not over-done.

To stay in Desert Hot Springs, however, you must be prepared to stay in a real cultural desert. This is not Palm Springs, thank heavens, and though there are plenty of restaurants nearby (the Korean comes to mind) there isn't much to do at night unless you want to drive into town, as it were, or go to bed early. The Hope Springs guest understands this; the clientele seems self-selecting that way, quieter than the party animals you will find in PS.

A note on the rooms: we always try for one with a kitchen; it makes take-out that much easier and you can keep a bottle of wine or two cold.

• Stayed: January 2003, travelled as a couple