“A great, low key, affordable, funky destination with big pools”

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I call this my favorite Redneck Spa. As I am from redneck stock, I find the tone there amusing and familiar.
I also like that there are absolutely all shapes and sizes and ages in the pools, just playing, drinking, laughing, soaking and having a good time being goofy humans.
I don't do the spa treatments there, I just enjoy the pools and 1 or 2 nights.
The staff has been great, and attentive if there is an issue ( mischarging a credit card was dealt with speedily)
I like the poolside rooms with reflective glass doors so no one can see in, and a gated little porch to enjoy or quickly get into and out of the nearest pool -- very convenient!
It has a true family vibe with happy kids and lots of tattooed parents and grandparents. One night a tipsy Latina Grannie sang heartfelt Spanish love songs on the next porch with such passion she gathered a crowd that insisted on more
In conclusion it is a great, low key, affordable, funky destination with big pools that are from super hot to cold, close to LA. It's can be very romantic in bad weather as its almost deserted, the kids are gone, and you can have an entire pool to yourself late into the night!

Room Tip: Rooms located on the lower floor have direct access to the pool. If you like your privacy ask for po...
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank SchweizYank

Reviewed 21 June 2011

Friendly host, large apartment all equipped, great barbecue to use outside, wonderful warm pools, all quiet except for the extremely noisy fridge in the apartment. Near Palm Springs, Joshua Tree National Park. You can even see a roadrunner visiting the property! We would go there again for sure.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I went for the day. The price is right $7 for a weekend day. Don't go on a weekend if you want to relax. People mostly with children having fun in the waters. It's not a classy place but you don't expect that for $7.

I wouldn't suggest taking a Church Group there, plenty of smoking a drinking going on but not out of control. Just ordinary folk letting their down a little. It is most likely different on a weekday.

Restaurant and Bar very reasonable, small outside eating area which is enjoyable. Staff that I encountered were pleasant. Spa services such as massage, sauna provided at extra cost.

If you are looking for a cheap place to take the kids for the day instead of all those high priced water parks this could be your answer. You can take your own food I think. I didn't see a life guard so be vigilant with the kids.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Uptowngal12
krystalb, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

Thank you for your kind words! Our day spa is the most popular and affordable in the Desert. Weekday prices are just $3 and $5 depending on the day. Lifeguards are on duty from 8 am to 10 pm daily. While perhaps not classy in the elegant, exclusive sense, we (and our Thesaurus) think it’s picturesque and charming. Interestingly, our sister property next door, Miracle Springs Resort & Spa, hosts many Church retreats and conferences throughout the year. I should clarify that swim club guests are not allowed to bring in their own food and beverages; the sale of which helps us to keep the admission price so low. As you said, our prices are very reasonable and the food is really good. Thank you again for taking the time to write!

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We went to the day spa here. The good news is that entrance to the hot pools is amazingly cheap - only $7 on Saturdays. The bad news is you get what you pay for.

Their ads all seem to promote it as a relaxing place for couples to pamper themselves with mineral waters, but in reality we found it to be just annoying. There are several different mineral pools and most of them had some kid jumping in or splashing around. In a couple of cases a mom would use the hot pool as a place to teach her baby to swim, and we got water splashed in our faces several times.

The place is also in a run-down part of town and attracts redneck, low-class types. We had to put up with a drunk woman smoking and cursing, and several biker types with tattoos acting pushy and obnoxious.

If you want to soak up some mineral waters and don't care about ambience at all, then this is the cheapest way to do it. Otherwise, think twice about visiting this place.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank latraveler47
krystalb, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

We are very sorry you had such a bad time. Most of the behavior you described is not allowed here and I’m surprised the lifeguards and security didn’t intervene immediately. Regarding the splashing, jumping kids, we make it very clear in writing and, if necessary, verbally, that parents must be in full control of their children at all times while on property. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. Nothing is more important to us than guest satisfaction, and I’ve forwarded your review to the departments involved.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

We have stayed at the DHS Spa Hotel before. Sure, its oldish but the pools are great. This time however we stayed during the great cold snap of February 2011 and they must have been virtually empty cos they were only usimg the first few rooms near the front desk. Two downsides; first the heat didn't work and despite valiant efforts they couldn't fix it; second, you have to be aware that guests can be in the hot pools 24 hours a day and they can get some pretty selfish guests there too. Our heat didn't work but the noise at 3 am from guests cavorting in the pool and smoking and drinking as well was the worst thing.
As for customer service, that's pretty variable too. Mostly the staff are very friendly and helpful especially John the front desk manager who we found to be terrific. Not so the woman who checked us in who spent her whole time on the telephone and was very uninterested in our subsequent experience.

Overall however the DHS Spa is better value than the sister hotel Miracle Springs nextdoor. The staff there could take a lesson in customer service from this hotel. The DHS is better value than Miracle Springs you just have to make sure that you are in a newer room with better beds and not too close to the pools as you can get some odd folk in there during the day (and at night it seems) . And don't go there during a deep freeze.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank turtlers2
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I must start by saying that every staff member I met was extremely nice and accommodating. Nice people. However, the beds are hideous. I am not a princess; I don't complain easily. I mean, the beds are hideous. I cut myself - twice - actually drew blood twice - by sitting up in the bed and having a severed metal bed spring poke through a large hole in the mattress and cut my skin. Also, my two year old son woke up in the morning and said, "My back hurts," which of course made us die laughing. (I didn't know a two-year-old's back COULD hurt.) The very nice manager discounted our room, etc. for our pains, and he told us that half the rooms have new beds, while half still have the terrible old beds. ASK FOR A ROOM WITH NEW BEDS. If you can get one, make a reservation. If you can't, do not stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Stauchy
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Its old but fun. Sure there may be nicer places to stay, but overall its a great place to chill and relax. It is like going back in time. Give it a try.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple