“Loved the natural hot water”

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Winthrop, Washington
“Loved the natural hot water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We had a room right by the seven pools, and could see when the crowds had thinned enough for us to enjoy a quiet soak. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon, and didn't want to dip in the pools because of the crowds and noise. In the evening, night and morning, we pretty much had the pools to ourselves.
We recommend booking online - we saved more than 50% off the rack rate. I think weekdays would have fewer crowds.

Room Tip: We liked our room by the pools. When we wanted a mountain view, we could just go out the front door.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thanks for your recommendation! I'm sorry you were put off by the crowds and noise, but I'm glad you eventually got to relax in our pools. Other reviewers certainly will appreciate your tips!

Safe travels,
Michael, Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

This used to be a nice hotel with its thermal pools. No longer. The owner figures that by charging individuals five bucks a day to populate the place that he need not renovate or provide good service to hotel guests. My TV got half the channels. I asked at the front desk if my remote was bad and they said no, it was the TV but no offer to fix it. Sliding door on balcony would never close properly letting in the wind which is well known there. If you stay ,do not get a pool view room because the "crowd noise" continues after 10 pm. The good news if the low cost massages and the cute little café.

Room Tip: Try next door at the Miracle Springs Hotel - same ownership.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank happy_to_travel_4752
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. While it's great to hear you enjoy our cafe and spa, I'm sorry your most recent stay didn't meet your expectations. We like for everyone to have a great time when they stay with us, and I'm disappointed this wasn't the case for you.

That being said, I can assure you our day pass program hasn't affected our renovation efforts or the way we treat our customers. We're always working on upgrades to keep the hotel up-to-date, but it sounds like you were in one of the rooms we have yet to work on. Hopefully you'll give us another chance so you can see your feedback in motion!

Safe travels,

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

south staffs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Tired rooms but you come here for the great nine , yes nine pools of various temperatures which the rooms overlook.
If the rooms had a makeover this would have a 5 star rating .
Come here for the spa's not the rooms

Room Tip: Its worth staying in the poor rooms as the pools are just fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joebloggsSouthStaffs
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thanks for your review. While it's great to hear you recommend our mineral pools, I'm sorry you were disappointed in our rooms. We're always working on upgrades to keep our mid-century modern hotel in tip-top shape; hopefully next time you visit you'll be able to see your feedback in action!

All the best,
Pacifica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We were concerned after reading some negative Yelps after we booked and before we checked in. We were very pleasantly surprised after we got there. At least one negative Yelp issue seemed to have been totally invented; this problem did NOT exist.
Plusses: large assortment of choices in the restaurant, which has outdoor tables with service by the palms and pools. This included an adequate selection of food my vegan husband could eat. This was not true of the more upscale hotel where our friends stayed, the Aqua Soleil, where the menu was very limited even for omnivores. There are 8 pools with different temperatures in each! They get vacuumed and cleaned every morning, with testing throughout the day. I had a wonderful deep tissue massage, which compared favorably in both quality and price to the one at Aqua Soleil. We would stay here again.
Cons: the hotel is in need of restoration/repair. The shower in our room screeched LOUDLY when used. Cigarette smoking is permitted by the pools, which get very crowded with "day" users, a few of whom stay until as late as midnight.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a pool view, not a mountain (parking lot) view. If you don't mind g...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay and were pleasantly surprised by our hotel. We want each of our guests to have a great time when they visit us, and it sounds like you did just that.

It was our pleasure to accommodate your husband's dietary needs. I'm also thrilled that you were pleased with your massage and the crisp, clean pool. Our staff works hard to make sure everyone has an exceptional experience, and I know they'll be as thankful for your review as I am.

As far as the repairs are concerned, we're in the process of replacing the shower heads in our guest rooms. We're also working on upgrades to our pool areas and air conditioners; hopefully those projects will be complete by your next visit!

'Til then,
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Let me start by saying this is a very unique and fun place. They have many different pools and hot water spas to relax in. Also, I am not a "high-end" type of person, so I don't mind that the place is old and run-down. Also, despite what I am about to say in this review, i will likely be back. Having said that, I feel it is important to be honest about what this place IS what what it IS NOT, so that others can make an informed decision with their leisure money.

Everything involving the mineral water here is just great, but the service is hit-and-miss depending on who you encounter(a great bartender, 1 good desk clerk, & 1 terrible desk clerk) and the rooms are average AT BEST. We didn't mind so much that our room was old and terribly out of date, but we did mind the poor repair of the room. What we minded most, however, was that when we reported the problems to the girl at the front desk, she did not seem to care at all and in fact asked ME to write down the issues for her. Are you kidding me?! Here's how this works, sweetie: I tell YOU the problem, YOU write it down, you apologize to me about the room, you offer to move me or give me a discount, and then YOU let management know about it.This level of service was absolutely abysmal, especially considering that I didn't approach her in any type of confrontational way, but rather in a "hey, just to let you guys know" type of manner.

Aside from the several broken and/or not working items in the room, the beds are quite firm and the noise from the floor above us at 8:00am was atrocious. I don't know if it was cleaning personnel or some type of maintenance. All I know is they need to do that stuff when people aren't in the room below them, or at least later in the day.

Basically, I want to give this place a 'poor' rating, but I'm not going to, because I do love their unique mineral spring spas. If it weren't for that major aspect saving the day for this property, I would rate this place an D at best.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Instead, buy a day-use wrist band and enjoy the water during the day, have a bi...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Frank-Money
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Thank you for your balanced and well-expressed review. I'm forwarding your review to the front desk manager for discussion with staff. We apologize for that glitch in your stay. Also the noisy work at 8 am. The customer service you described is the ideal we are constantly working to maintain. Again, thanks for taking the time to write, and thank you for your loyalty as a repeat customer.
San Bernardino, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

The beds are like plywood, it took over an hour to get our food and the waitresses are rude. In addition, there is a lot of deferred maintenance in this hotel, there is a lot of rust around the pool areas and the place is overall very poorly maintained.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Howard F
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
We are very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Perhaps our sister property Miracle Springs Resort & Spa would be more to your liking, though it is slightly more expensive and less "casual" than the DHS Spa. Please visit us again.
arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

If I didn't already leave this review, I hope you get it...a really, really nice place with many hot tubs and a fabulous swimming pool! A spacious room with all the fixin's too! The front desk folks were friendly and so helpful.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank coppercanyonhiker
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thanks for your recommendation! I'm glad you love our guest rooms and amenities. I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to the front desk crew; it'll make their day!

Hope to see you again,