“There are much better hotels”

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Scottsdale, Arizona
“There are much better hotels”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Filthy room, stained, wore out carpet wrinkled so you would trip when walking on it. Bedding is wore out and maid service never showed up.Loud kids around the pool early morning hours. Calling this place a hotel is like putting lipstick on a pig. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ZO6
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Well, I guess you won't be staying with us again. We are a family-owned & run hotel...a beautiful mid-century modern property delivering 2-1/2 to 3-star amenities and service at 2-star prices. Our full-acre courtyard has 8 natural mineral springs pools all at different temperatures to deliver an authentic hot springs spa experience.

The Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel has a loyal base of repeat visitors who come back year after year and really enjoy the laid-back family-oriented ambiance we provide.

Yes, you can go elsewhere, but not for the reasonable rates we charge, and not with an underground aquifer providing hot natural mineral water.

Thanks for writing...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Kelso, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I found this hotel on expedia and the rate was really good but I had few questions so I called the customer service and got someone with very poor english! I had to keep asking them to repeat what they said. They also kept trying to get me to reserve over the phone at a higher rate then what was online. Then when I explained I was still just shopping for the like the 3rd time he hung up on me in mid sentence!! So I called this hotel directly and Bree answered the phone and it was so nice to get someone I could understand and who was polite and did an AMAZING job answering all my questions and finally booking the room for me. She was so polite and working with the public myself customer service is something I HIGHLY prize. This young lady is the reason I and my family are staying here!!! I will update my review again after our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank flakeangel
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
yes, bree is reaaly good! i'll forward this to management so she gets due credit. we look forward to your post-stay review!
Highland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The only place we will go for a mini-vacation! We usually get a downstairs room which has a patio, so if you don't want to be in 1 of the pools, you can relax on your patio! They have different pools- all have a different temperature! They have a coffee shop/ bar & kids can eat in the lounge area as long as they aren't at the bar! They also have outside tables for those who want to eat outside! The coffee shop is on the cool side so bring a sweater!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the "shady side"
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you so much for your great review. You really get us. We look forward to seeing you back here soon!
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have NEVER seen a more disgusting hotel room or hotel in my life. We hurriedly asked for a refund at the front desk (woman didn't argue, in fact didn't say anything) after we described the
conditions of the room. Dirty, smelly and worn carpet, couch, chair, drapes, bed sunk in, bed-spread filthy, couldn't get cold water from the tap - GROSS GROSS GROSS!!!!!! One set of the
door keys didn't work. DON'T GO!!!!!

This hotel should be closed by the city's health department!!!!

3 Thank cynthia92
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Hi Cynthia,
Thank you for sharing your comments. I was concerned with the comments regarding the condition of your room. While we do embrace a traditional style, in theme with our mid-modern architecture, I can assure you that we maintain the highest standard of cleanliness for all of our guest rooms. We are proud that we have passed every health inspection in the 30 years that our family has owned this property. We have remodeled over half of our rooms now and hope you get a chance to see the upgrades.

We boast a one of a kind hot mineral spa experience. The Desert Hot Springs Spa, one of Desert Hot Springs' flagship properties, has one Olympic size pool and seven soaking and Champagne pools range in temperature from 90°F to 104°F and are open 24 hours for guests!! Its too bad you didn't have a chance to take our World Famous Water.

Best regards,
Michael B, Owner

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

Varysburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I have noticed that the DHS Spa Hotel gets somewhat mixed reviews, so I thought I would throw my two cents in. I have not stayed at the hotel so I cannot comment on that. However, I have been a "Day Spa" guest a few times, most recently on July 22, 2013.

I have never had anything but positive experiences at the Spa. Sure, the facility is older and appears a bit run down compared to some other places in the area, but I find that part of the charm- "mid-century modern architecture," the owner would probably call it. There are 8 different pools of varying sizes and temperatures to choose from, and I have always found the pools to be clean, pleasant, and mostly well-maintained (although some minor repairs would probably be welcome, as long as the older-style feel is preserved). I am not really sure what the other reviewers are referring to about things floating in the pools, but it was a relatively slow day when I was there last- maybe the pools get dirtier on busier days? The Spa does attract a diverse crowd owing to the low price, but I never felt concerned for my safety and thought it seemed very family friendly.

I have also eaten at the on-site Sunshine Cafe restaurant a couple of times and found it to also be an exceptional value. My grilled chicken salad was so huge that the second half of it became lunch on the next day (and I have a rather large appetite), and it cost only about $8 if I remember correctly. It was also quite tasty.

The staff I encountered on my most recent trip, both at the Spa and in the restaurant, were all extremely helpful, friendly, and welcoming. The level of customer service I encountered was above average compared to many other facilities I have visited.

Overall, I find the Spa Hotel to be a unique place to visit and a terrific value for the price. I definitely hope to come back again soon. I highly recommend it for any individual, couple, or family to spend the afternoon enjoying the various pools and sauna, and then stay for dinner and/or a drink.

3 Thank Matthew T
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thanks for your recommendation, Matthew! I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experiences with us in such great detail. Hope to have you back to relax in our spa again soon!

Until then,
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Yes, it's funky, compared to the higher priced resorts in town, but we prefer it to others!
Why? Fewer kids, same great water, restaurant and bar on site, can walk to bus stop
to catch bus to Palm Springs (while HE golfs!), and super rates. The beds are not the
best, but as economy improves, believe resort will improve where needed, as last couple
years have been very hard on this region. We have been staying here last 3 Decembers in
a row and have had good service at desk and by staff.

Room Tip: Do NOT come during Spring Break, and be aware that Spring Break locally may be different from your...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AliceKathleen
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thanks for your recommendation! I'm delighted to hear you appreciate not only our amenities, but also our competitive prices. We'e always working to keep our facilities up-to-date, so hopefully there will be some more visible changes in place by your next visit!

Until then,
Baldwin Park, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I was just at this place on July 13th and we had a very rocky start. The girls at the counter didn't have a clear grasp on which rooms where vacant and/or cleaned. I reserved a room with a balcony overlooking the pool. When they sent me to my first of 3 rooms, they debated back and forth about whether the previous occupant was checked out or not and then decided that they were but told me that they only had one set of keys for the room. So I was a bit leery about going to the room but reluctantly went anyway, only to find that the room had not been cleaned yet. I went back to the front and they moved me to a 2nd room, which did not have the balcony overlooking the pool. At which time, they moved me to a 3rd room.
Luckily the weekend got better once we finally had a room to stay in!
-Kari Brown-

1 Thank Kari B
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Kari. I hope you'll accept my sincerest apologies for any unnecessary frustration we caused you. It certainly isn't like us to be so disorganized!

Although summer is our busiest time of year, that's no excuse for sending a guest to three different rooms before finding them the right one. Please know that I plan on speaking about this with my staff as soon as possible so we can avoid this kind of confusion going forward.

Safe travels,