“worst mattress ever”

Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Long Beach, California
“worst mattress ever”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

checked in here from desperation as everything else was booked and I was too tired to drive the two hours back to San Diego. huge mistake. the worst mattresses ever next to motel 6 (maybe worse), can't sleep at all. rooms are large but shabby, walls are paper thin, can hear my neighbors above and to the side also not sleeping well. haven't tried the pools - may be a decent place for the springs during the day but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy our hot mineral water pools! Certainly would have been a super relaxing touch after a long drive.

We appreciate the feedback. Some of the mattresses need updating more than others, though we are replacing them all. I have actually been speaking with our mattress vendor this morning. We were making this order anyway, but reviews keep you honest and provide a sense of urgency to please our valued guests.

Reggie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have stayed here many times, and each time was terrific. This time I took my little pet dog and the room was comfortable. As always the room and the food were wonderful, plus the staff were all awesome. I always enjoy my stay here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie B, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
We are so glad you enjoy your stays with us! We hope you and your dog come back and see us soon!

Desert hot speings
Reviewed 11 February 2014

No customer service and no service at all if front desk guy don't fell like working, no wonder it's slow at night, this guy is lazy and doesn't want to work or sell rooms, that's to bad, could've sold out for family reunion but he obviously doesn't care

• Stayed February 2014
Nick S, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Hello, we are aware of an attempt to enter the premise well past midnight and we reserve the right to refuse service in such instances.

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

Imperial Beach, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Desert Hot Springs Hotel and Spa: an underrated gem. Mid-Century architecture, lots of fat palms and birds, the surprisingly good restaurant, and clean, well-furnished rooms supplement the real draw here -- the waters. There are (7) pools ranging from a full-sized lap pool (25 yards?) down to a couple of 8-person mineral pools. The pools are heated according to size: the smaller the pool, the hotter the water (up to 105 F). The mineral waters (so say the hotel literature) are drawn from two underground aquifers (one hot, the other cold) that run under the town, one atop the other. Reportedly, Desert Hot Springs is the only place on earth that provides this unique geothermal feature.

The hotel and spa are clearly kept alive by local residents and regular guests; out-of-town visitors tend to go for the fancier resorts (tapping the same springs, offering the same water, but at twice the price with less character and charm). Nevertheless, the service was outstanding; any room service or extra service I requested was immediately delivered and the waitresses called me "Sweetie", "Honey", and "Doll" as if they meant it.

The springs have a reputation for healing. People come from Europe and Asia to access them. I spent a week there recently to ease muscle spasms in an aching back. The first ten minutes in the pool, and the spasms relaxed and, after a day or so, left altogether. I arrived bent at the waist and left in the upright position. What's more, a weird, dry, cracked skin condition that was eating up my feet and moving up my legs disappeared - a little bit each day until it was basically gone after years of recurring problems. That was unexpected. Whether it's healing magic or just plain old chemistry, something there helped my aging body quite a bit, so that I don't mind writing a glowing review of the place.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank James W
Nick S, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
We are so proud of our old school charm and we are a pillar in the local community as you alluded to. And we have 8 mineral pools!! Glad you enjoyed them all. No frills, just great service, amazing food, a fun bar and excellent staff, and the best water in Southern California!!

Take care and come back soon!
wilmington
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We Had Some Work In The Area, But Also Wanted To Relax. This Place had A Large parking lot (Needed For Large Work Truck),Bar, Restaurant And Pools. Wonderful. Food Was Good, Prices Were Good. We Will be Back Next Time Through.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank kclint
Reggie B, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thanks for leaving your positive feedback and we are glad our property fit your accommodations spot on. I hope you had enough personal time to enjoy the 8 hot mineral spas! We look forward to having you back with us!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

After reading some review I was happy to find the room pretty big and clean. Air condition not noisy and works good. TV was old with small screen.
First day (Saturday) for some reason nobody clean the room. After my complains did not change much I change towels at front desk. Since that the rest of the week the room was cleaned on time without problems.The restaurant on the property was good.
The girls was trying very hard to please everybody. Food was tasty and reasonably priced.
The best part Mineral Pools and Spas with Sauna. All property was clean including pools. The girl constantly was taking probe of water and asking if temperature good.
Overall I have pretty good vacation .

Room Tip: I wood recommend to choose pool views as this room have private balcony. The mountain views room do...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Senior801
Nick S, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
We are glad that you enjoyed you hot mineral water experience at the Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel. The pool view rooms have beautiful views of the mountains as well. We appreciate the compliments to the hard working staff, and we will make sure we do a better job checking all rooms for daily service and refreshment! Come back and see us soon!

Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed here, like Euphoric, over Xmas break. Five nights. We stay here every Winter, so I'm used to weird stuff going on. The fellow who was wandering around in his underwear was not spoken to by the lifeguard or any management member, that I noticed. The nice female lifeguard, Kara (?) wasn't on duty the day he was in full view. She would have dealt with it, I'm sure, as she was on top of her game. Always cleaning up trash, arranging lounge chairs, being very productive.

Our main complaint this visit, was the sewage issue. I believe it was the third day in, and I looked in the tub and there was a ring around the bottom four inches where sewage had come up into the bath from the second floor. Mentioned it to the nice fellow who waters the pots (with miracle gro!), and got a maintenance guy over to the room. He said it would be messy to fix the issue, and left. Got housekeeping to clean the tub. Next day we had the same spilled sewage issue. The maintenance guy came over from Miracle Springs and snaked the drains, fixing the problem. What bothered me, is that we never heard one peep from management, asking if the sewage spill in our tub was resolved. Sewage in the tub, two days in a row, should warrant some type of attention from DHS management. We dropped close to a grand during our stay; it's not like we were there only for one night. A phone call of apology, comped breakfast, dinner, what have you, would have gone a long way to removing the visual of sewage in our bathtub, two days in a row.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank juliethegardener
Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Hi Julie,
Thanks for staying with us over the holidays. I really appreciate you telling us about the plumbing issue. As management, we weren't aware of this as it sounds like the front desk took the measures to try and correct things (aside from seeing what more we could do for you). We sure would have liked the opportunity to provide an extra perk for you. Please let me know and I will arrange something for your next trip: reggieb@miraclesprings.com