“Frequent visitor of DHS Spa”

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
“Frequent visitor of DHS Spa”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My fiance and I stayed at DHS Spa from 3/29 to 4/4. The room was very comfortable and had everything we needed (a microwave would have been nice and apparently we could have asked for one). I have been visiting the day spa since 1977 and find that DHS spa is a great value and clean place. It has been kept up but as some point it is rather dated in style (but I do not go for the style). The small band that performed Sunday afternoon was really enjoyable. I must say that I was a bit disappointed in my breakfast the first morning (huevos rancheros)...it was not up to par with past experiences there (uncooked onion and pepper in my potatoes and the sauce on the eggs was just not good), as the cafe has always had excellent food and I didn't find that to be true this time. On the plus side, the ladies in the bar area was always very gracious and helpful when we wanted ice, a cup or water.
We would definitely stay there again and I will always go there for the day spa when I visited annually from Maine!!
I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't have expectations of it being the Ritz! It provides all that you need for an excellent value.

Room Tip: We were in room 204, great view of mountains, no afternoon sun to enjoy on the nice balcony. The low...

2 Thank Lorrie M
Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Glad you enjoy your stays at the Spa Hotel, and have for some 30+ years!! We hope to have you back soon.

Reggie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 12 April 2014

They offer 7 pools of different size and temperatures. And you have 24 hour access. Quite unique in that. Rooms are what you should expect at the price (~$100) per night.

We enjoyed the pools very much. Will consider coming back.

Room Tip: Pool size is better.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review! Glad you enjoyed our world famous hot mineral water! Hope to have you back on your next travels to Desert Hot Springs/Palm Springs.

Sun City, California
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel and spa has upgraded the rooms and service. Every time we stay, we are very pleased that we picked the Desert Hot Springs I'm also glad that they are enforcing the No Smoking rule as my wife is very allergic to smoke.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the 5 stars! And yes we are continuing to upgrade property amenities so stay tuned and come back and see us soon!

Best,
Leesburg, Georgia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I think that the pool area is probably very nice once it is cleaned up..there are several pools/spas, and the mountain views are great. However, they have some sort of a "day at the pool " public thing going on there and it is very cheap...so you can imagine the type of people that end up at this place all day long until 10:00 p.m - trashing it up, making noise, and being gross.

We came in late on a Sunday night....the wind was howling and the temps were pretty low, so there were not a ton of people at the pools. But the area was still loud and I can't imagine what it would have been like in good weather. We were in room 226....old...run down..impossible to get to from the (creepy) looking security bars at the top of the stairs...our key would not fit to let us into the security bar area. After a long, windy trek back to the front desk to say the key didn't work my husband was told "oh those gates are pretty tricky" so no help at all...the key never did work. So we had to haul our bags all over the place to get to our room. It took us almost 25 minutes to access our room. The front desk, in other words, was useless.

The room was clean...but very old, very, VERY run down, cheap everything. The heater/air was so loud we had to turn it off for the night. We couldn't wait to leave the next morning.

If you are looking for a cheap place to spend the night stay somewhere else. The room will be in better shape and you probably won't be afraid of the apartment complex or whatever that place was, next door. If you are looking for a pool experience and don't want to be grossed out, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you get room 226 and the key doesn't fit the security bars at the top of the stairs, make the...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
I'm sorry this was your experience and perception based on your one night stay. I assure you most of our guests do not feel the same way. We do have daily admission for our pools, but our regulars are mostly retired folks that like to take the waters. We have a phenomenal array of hot mineral water pools and enough water to pump fresh hot water into all of the pools at 200 gallons a minute, 24/7.

We have upgraded poolside rooms and are continuing forward.

Best regards,

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

Lansing, Illinois
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We did not stay at this hotel,but wish we had after our TBP spa hotel expierence.When looking for a place to stay from 27Mar14-3Apr14,we were scared off by the reviews this place was getting and decided to stay at the hyped up hard to find Two Bunch Palms. However,DHS spa hotel came to our rescue with their $3.00 Tuesday spa deal. This property allows the public to enjoy their hot spring mega tubs for a very reasonable daily rate. The spa tubs are located in the court yard the size of a football field and the temperatures vary from tub to tub. On the same level,ground level, is a restaurant and bar, gift shop,locker rooms,and spa cabanas. This hotel is dated but I spoke with laurie in the gift shop and she assured me that the rooms,although dated are clean. The ownership of the hotel is commited to renovating the property but the hotel runs 24-7,365 days a year and can't just shut down to do everything at once. They are renovating a little bit at a time, Laurie explains.
We had lunch in the restaurant and it was good. I had a prime rib sandwhich that was a little tough but, for 7.99 it was good value. If you smoke, smoking was permitted in the court yard right outside the bar area.The locker rooms are very old and the hot tubs need a little TLC but for what your going to get for your money around this town, DHS spa hotel is good value from what I've seen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reggie B, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thanks for sharing your observations and experience at our hotel! We certainly have 8 large hot mineral pools concentrated in the pool deck for easy moving from spa to spa.

I will pass your compliments to Laurie, she is spot on. My family runs the hotel and has for some time, and we are committed to upgrading all of the hotel amenities while preserving its old school charm.

Hope you come back again to stay or just for the day. We also operate the Miracle Springs Resort next door, another option for your DHS adventures!

reggiebickford@gmail.com
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 April 2014

For those who appreciate retro, you'll love it ! A little piece of 50's Americana complete with diner & bar scene...albeit now with Karaoke. Great relaxed family desert retreat, my kids love jumping in & out of the many different temperature pools.
Love Annette, the security guard...she fits right in !!!

Room Tip: Ground floor, easier access to the pools
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay!! We have many long term guests that love our hot mineral water spas and consistent experience. My dad acquired the hotel in 1979 and we have maintained the property with its original mid-century design. We hope to have you back from LA soon!

reggiebickford@gmail.com
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Our family decided to stay here because of the "healing water". But the water was treated with Chlorine. The hotel uses false advertising when the say they have "the best untreated water". They add chlorine. And, we never saw the pools drained and refilled, which we typically see when staying at other hotsprings hotels. Overall, the whole place was pretty grimy and gross.. My two daughters got rashes on their bodies. Either from the water or bugs in the beds. Although the price was reasonable, I would not stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Hi,
Thanks for reaching out on TA. We do put the absolute minimum amount of chlorine required by the Health Department. I have heard that some hot mineral water spas drain pools daily, which may make them exempt from using chlorine. I don't think we false advertise our waters anywhere... if you can show me where, I'd love to correct it. I can be reached at reggiebickford@gmail.com.

We have the highest standard for cleanliness which is backed by our HD grades. To be honest, most times rashes are attributed to sun exposure rather than issues with the room or water.

I hope that satisfies your questions and again feel free to reach out to me via email.