“Some obvious things to address”

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Tucson
“Some obvious things to address”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Wonderful place. Old school charm but could easily improve with a few simple things I observed:

1) eyesores: there's a filthy trash can between the bar and pool area.

2) hire a bartender who is attentive and polite. The young lady tonight is anything but.

3) tell the loud folks they are welcome to have fun but keep the yelling to a minimum.

4) it's expensive I'm sure, but try to replace carpets in rooms.

There, easy. We'll be back but with less frequency if some of the more obvious and easy to rectify issues aren't addressed.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Rocker1969
Reggie B, Assistant to Reggie Bickford, GM at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thanks for your review. We welcome both positive and negative feedback. Your suggestions for areas of improvement have been passed along to the relevant departments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 19 July 2014

In deciding where to stay in Desert Hot Springs, I chose DHSSH because of its 24-hour access to the pools, in case I wanted to do some late night soaking. Due to the extended hours, I knew there was a chance the place could get rowdy on Saturday nights, so I chose not to stay there during the weekend. Even on a week night, there were drunk and foul-mouthed patrons detracting from the experience.

The front desk did not offer any guidance to using the facility, nor were there any in the room. The room was very shabby, with cracks in the sofa upholstery, lumpy pillows and decor that hasn't been updated since 1970. Even worse, the prize-winning spring water was undrinkable, the refrigerator did not keep my food cold, and the air conditioning sounded like a diesel truck engine.

Since the A/C was so loud, I couldn't sleep with it on. Nor could I open the sliding doors because they led not to a balcony, but to a breezeway where any drunk, drugged, or unsavory loiterer from this rundown town could have walked right into my room--there wasn't even a screen door. This is the only place I've ever stayed where I felt unsafe.

I woke during the night coughing because it was so hot and dry, and the second time this happened, I just lay awake and waited for it to get light out so I could leave. DHSSH is probably ok if you just come for the day, but don't stay there unless you too have a spring break mentality despite being way past college age

Room Tip: I chose a mountain view room so as to to hear noise coming from the pools in the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank selfaddict
Reggie B, Assistant to Reggie Bickford, GM at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to give some feedback. I am definitely disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been and that you had an issue with the air conditioner. Please accept our sincere apology and be assured this information will be brought to the attention of our maintenance team. We truly do appreciate your business and hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Be carful with administration workers, they easily can register wrong room waisting your time and making to you nerves. Maybe you need to change few rooms until you get right room which you booked. First they try give to you bad room, if not works for them they pretend they finding best room for you, but again make you fool. I thing it's a time change changing the some administration workers. Next my visit will not be this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations.
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I live in Vegas and travel to California several times per year. When I am in the Palm Springs area, I always stay here. The rooms are in need of updating; no bones about it--but the location, price and spa are what make me return. I did stay at the Hilton once--yes the rooms are much nicer but they do not have the mineral springs. I would rate the rooms a 2 but gave 4 stars just because I like the place and do feel safe and comfortable when I am there.

Room Tip: Upstairs is cheaper. Ask for pool view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The location was perfect for where we were playing our softball tournament but it was not the best service or best condition wise. They did not have keys for me and I did not get keys till after 7 hours of checking in. Made me wonder if I would be safe as it was an actual key and not one of those key cards. I would NOT stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Rookiecota68
Thanks for your comments. We maintain the safety, security and comfort of all of our guests. I am very sorry you were disappointed. Your feedback regarding the long wait will be forwarded to the appropriate supervisor for review.
Torrance, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

On Saturday night I was aggravated by the fireworks, the drunken people and the gang bangers flashing gang signs, I do not remember it being this way. I called the front the desk after the second loud boom and threatened to call the police, if there was one more disturbance I was going to leave. It cost me $135 for Saturday night and I didn't feel safe to leave my room it was a total waste of money. Sunday night was calm and we enjoyed ourselves. Sunday night it started all over again with small fireworks, firecrackers and bottle rockets. The room 208 decided to blast their music so loud that another patron told them to stop. there were teenagers i the pool until after 11 pm. we have stayed at DHS for the better par of 20 years but will never again stay there. Solution - kick people out when they are supposed to leave, control the under age drinking and a better show of security

Room Tip: do not go save your money

1 Thank Robquaid
Thank you for sharing your experience. We take great pride in the services we offer and always try to maintain the highest standards. I am sorry that room 208 did not meet your expectations. We very much appreciate guest feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Glendale, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I prefer to rest in a city, where there is a lot to see, to walk, to get tired, and only after that to come to the hotel and enjoy the pools and natural springs... there was not much to do around this hotel, but I heard it's hot springs are very healthy & was happy to spend 2 days there. we enjoyed the sun, sunbathe, pools... I had a problem with booking though. i called them 3-4 times to make a reservation, and all the time I was put on hold and then disconnected. the fifth time i had to be really rough, and they finally made my reservation, but it appeared that they did something wrong. when we arrived they put us (4 people)in 1 king size bed room, instead of 2 queen size. then they gave us two roll-overs for that night and 20$ credit to spend in the restaurant, and changed our room next morning. well, everybody makes mistakes but our first night was very uncomfortable and i was disappointed. anyway, it wasn't a bad place.

Room Tip: room 103 was good :) it had microwave, fridge, good TV, a door to the pools, pool view...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie B, Assistant to Reggie Bickford, GM at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thanks for the review. There are a lot of sports, arts, and cultural activities nearby, however they are only accessible via automobile or public transportation. :) We're glad that you enjoyed the mineral pools and natural hot springs! It is true, our waters are extremely therapeutic.

We apologize for the booking issues and have forwarded your comments to the Front Desk Manager for review. We hope you'll come back and see us next time you're in the USA! Have a safe trip back to Armenia.