“Horrible!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Los Angeles
“Horrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2005

This place is awful....

Rooms filthy, seedy atmosphere. One positive are the staff in the restaurant - although the food is not very nice.

The worst problem for us was the spa. I booked a foot treatment (which the lady removed from a zip lock bag and then sat me in a windowless, tiny room) and a massage. The man who gave me the massage was the strangest man I have ever met and was inappropriate to say the least.

I would not consider staying there ever again - it doesn't match up to even the worst hotel in Palm Springs, and talking to the staff of the hotel it would seem that they would agree with me!

I hate to be so negative because their prices are quite reasonable but this place really is nasty.

Stayed March 2005
2 Thank lovelondon20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2005

First of all, don't expect the Hilton when you get here. It is at best an average Motel 6 for accomodations. However, most people here don't come for the rooms, they come for the pools. There are 7 of them in varying heat and sizes. The folks here were pretty quiet, considering the pools are open 24 hours. The atmosphere is great and the price is right. Additionally, if you don't want to stay here, they allow guests in for 5-7 dollars just for the day to enjoy the pools-- or for a decreased room rate for daytime stays. No nudity is allowed at the pools but my wife and I were able to lay out in our thongs without any disturbance, in fact several other guests were also in thong swimwear. The staff is friendly. This place is busy during the summer...

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2005

My daughter and I traveled to DHS for a week to visit my son at the Marine Base close by. He suggested staying at the resort, saying it was one of the nicer places in town. We had a wonderful time in spite of the giant rain we had the whole week we were at the resort. It was wonderful to sit out at the pools and relax in the rain. The resort was clean and the staff was very nice. My daughter scheduled a massage one day and she raved about it for hours. We had only one meal in the restaurant, but it was wonderful and the prices were very reasonable. I only have a couple of complaints about the room. One being the lack of a coffee pot in the room. The room we stayed in did have a small refrigerator, but a room coffee pot would have been wonderful. The other complaint is about the beds. They seemed to be in need of new mattresses. The one's in our room were rather run down. All in all I would recommend the Desert Hot Springs Spa to people who are wanting to get away from the hub bub of the city and just relax and enjoy the rain or the sun.

3 Thank CLANSWAN
Lake Arrowhead, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2005

We stayed the night here on valentines day and had a very relaxing time. The rooms were nice with their own little gated area outside the sliding glass door. I'd recommend staying downstairs for easy access to the pools. The rooms were clean with a couch and closet. The people visiting are very nice, but I'd say the majority are older adults, so it's a very quiet atmosphere. No partying and really no children there at night. The pools are open 24 hours for guests. The restaurant has great food with awesome prices. I think prime rib was only 12.00 and it was the most expensive item on the menu. The staff was extremely helpful and kind. We had a great time!

• Stayed February 2005
2 Thank leah o
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2004

We planned a Girlz Spa weekend at DHS for eight. Upon our check-in the hotel lobby smelled of gas fumes. We asked and were told that it was a problem that they fixed. We checked in at midnight and were sent through a barred security gate and up a flight of stairs with our luggage. We got to our room and it was dirty and disgusting. Spots and stains on the carpet, drapes, and chairs. Nothing looked clean. While we were trying to figure out what to do, two couples were openly having sex in the hot tubs and pools right outside of our room! And one lonely guy was by himself, moaning! Then we saw it... a cockroach in the bathroom! When we called down to complain and to begin the checkout process, we were told that "oh, its just waterbugs"!! Nasty! Call it what you like, I don't live with pests of anykind. The hotel staff said they did not see the people in the pool (it was right outside their window!!!) We complained and gave specifics. We were not charged for the night, but the next day, the Spa services charged each of our credit cards for services because we had not cancelled within 24 hours. We explained what happened and informed them that we were not getting in any of the pools nor would we allow them to perform any services any of us. The charges were eventually backed out. We wasted a perfectly good weekend and 6 hours of driving in the desert for this roachtrap. I am filing a complaint with the health department. That was just NASTY! I could go on.......

• Stayed October 2004
9 Thank 953jeanah

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2004

My friend was begging for a weekend away so three of us booked a room two days in advance and jet out to DSP. I advise to hike in the very nearby Joshua Tree forest for an hour or two (there are a few easy, nice 1-mile trails) to work your muscles a little 'cause boy are they in for a treat! The hotel is very clean and the staff professional, our room was cool when we arrived at 3, the pools exceeded my expectations - the huge pool is even a little warm! The hot jetted pools are awesome and the water is so soothing. It was windy so leaves were blowing in the pools but they did a decent job of at least trying to stay on top of the cleaning. There's an attached bar and a cafe with great food so you just chill out! The atmosphere also was great. It was partly crowded so if you wanted to meet people you definitely could, if you wanted to relax and close your eyes and be ignored there was plenty of that too. Not too many kids, the ones that were there weren't overly loud. No weirdness here at all. The spa was very professional, I treated myself to a basic facial that was well worth the price. My friend had a body wrap and loved it. The price is totally right - a note on that: You get a clean bed and room and bathroom, and each clean room has a clean fridge and nice TV with cable, etc. This place is really like the ancient roman spas where ALL of people would go - an affordable place for all to enjoy! So, check your ego at the door!! I would recommend this place!

7 Thank yoschex
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2004

Had a wonderful stay in July 2004. Food was great. Room service was wonderful. Teriyaki sticks and stuffed french toast are a must have. I felt like I was in the 50's when I woke up in the morning. Great place to hang out and bring your children. Also very nice that you can use pools 24 hours if you have a room reservation. Room was very clean not the Belllagio but that's not what the motel is all about. It's about the wonderful water and good service. They even have poolside drink service. We will be returning !!!!
Peace !!!