“Relaxing”

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Barstow
“Relaxing”
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My friend and I went to the Desert Hot Springs Spa and Hotel for the second time last year and we loved it as much as the year before.The rooms were clean the staff was friendly.The pools are beautiful.The restaurant has a variety of good food at reasonable prizes. We had treatments which were very relaxing. Don't remember the last time I slept that well. We decided we make it an annual trip just to get away.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Riverside
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Don't let the pictures fool you, it looks like this place is an acutal spa, and it talks about it's fifties charm, and friendly staff. I, however had a different experience, the front desk staff was rude to me checking in, I was told over the phone that we could check in early, and ended up having to wait an hour for the guaranteed check in time. The rooms are clean, but very outdated and UNCOMFORTABLE! The bed is like a rock with cheesy Motel 6 linens. Need I say more? Well there is more, this hotel is in a very seedy part of town, our room was accessed from the outside and it looked as if the lock had been pried open. Also, if you insist on finding out for yourself, check the weather! The wind HOWLED the entire time we were there, so even if we could have at least enjoyed the mineral pools (which were lukewarm except for one) we couldn't because it was freezing and windy. So I paid 150 bucks to stay in a motel six in the desert. Don't waste your time or money on this place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nonnieqt

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

Studio City
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Go look at the website for this place...it is SO deceiving! I wanted to plan a romantic 3-day, Valentine's day weekend for my husband and I, I looked up spas in the palm springs area and found the website for this "Hotel & Spa Resort". The website made it sound secluded, all-inclusive, like what a fancy spa experience should be. It was NOT that. we arrived, we were send to park in an unfenced parking lot that had a big sign that said "park at your own risk" we asked the front desk person and she said that "this area is sketchy at night". We found our room which was advertised as a king-size suite with Mountain view. The rrom was very "motel" like with eighties furnishings that were dirty. No shower curtain in the shower, and no bath robes. The pools were full of drunk "teens". That's when we found out the pools were 24 hr pools that were open to the public if they paid a 8$ admission. That just gives you an idea of the rif-raf that was allowed in. 2 of the pools were dirty with debris floating on top. There was a guy in the hot tub in his boxers. YUK. The restaurant was also dirty and the food was not even "Denny's" quality. The "sports-bar" was having kareoke night and all the "local-yokels" were there, drunk and obnoxious. Save your money, at almost $300.00 for 2 nights, this was a waste. We didn't even stay the 2nd night. Oh, and our room was near the main gate to the pool, so all night we heard these trashy people going in and out of the pool and it's loud, squeaky gate. DON'T GO THERE, you will be upset. :(

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank like2travellocal
Westminster, CA USA
Reviewed 21 November 2009

The last time we visited the Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel was seven years ago. We decided to go back and try it again but after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor I was a little leery of what we might find. The reviews seem to be polarized, people either love it or hate it, so being of the adventursome sort we decided to try it again and find out for ourselves.....and as we found out the reality lies somewhere in between.

This is one of the original hot springs spas in the area and was probably built in the 50's or so. Contrary to a previous review, we did not find the premises dirty, in fact there were people out early every morning skimming the pools and hosing down the decks to make sure everything is clean for that day's visitors. We also observed staff checking the PH and temperature of the pools several times a day to be sure they are properly maintained.

The first day we were there the wind was blowing very hard as can happen in the desert and the pools being outdoors and surrounded by palm trees and other plants can collect dirt and minute plant debris blown in by the desert wind.....to me this is normal and bound to happen no matter how carefully the pools are maintained, it is not a symptom of neglect and does not mean the pools are "dirty". In fact the very next morning after the high winds died down the pools were crystal clear from the actions of the staff and the pool filters.

The staff was outstanding from beginning to end, Nadine in check in is a jewel and even remembered our names from when I called in our reservations. We had massages and skin therapy in the spa and the therapists were first class, professional, and personable, the treatment could not have been better.

The restaurant is excellent, nothing fancy but a great variety of food at reasonable prices and excellent service....I also noted they were rated Grade A by the county health department. We had both dinner and breakfast there and everything was perfect.

That brings us to the rooms.....we agree that they are old and a little tired but for us that kind of adds to the charm of the place. Could we find fault with the room, yes there were a couple of issues, however nothing major but if you equate old with unclean than this is probably not the place for you.

To sum it up, this place is as comfortable as an old shoe. I agree with a previous review by "happywanderer020", read her review and you will get some additional insight. I second her observation, if you are looking for a fancy resort and beautiful people this is not the place for you and that's why I titled my review "It is what it is" either accept the DHSHS for what it is or go somewhere else but don't try to make it something it isn't and doesn't try to be.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gary06
Edmonton Alberta
Reviewed 16 November 2009

My husband and I did not stay here but went there to use the hot springs after a day of hiking. Basically I would not refer this spa to anyone and was surprised that the visitor information place in Palm Springs sent us here.

We are not picky people and are usually open to new adventures however this place was so dirty i was actually concerned about being in the water. Yes we did actually go in the water however did not stay long.

We read these reviews before going however because Palm Springs raves about it we decided to go, do not go. I am thinking it was nice at one time however has not been maintained since the day it opened and therefore is what it is today.

In summary, just don't try it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Treavel_A_Lot
south pasadena
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We have stayed many times at the DHSSH after we watched the Huel Howser show. The first time, our children were quite young and just literally melted into a sweet sleep after playing in the various pools. And no, our kids are not the juvenile monsters that some visitors seem to have encountered. In fact, we have little tolerance for ill-behaved children and have found that most children at the hotel have lively fun but usually seem to monitor themselves pretty well. We love the low key mid century vibe of the place, including the restaurant and bar. Guests and staff alike have a lot of character and are a lot of fun. When we finally turn into the driveway of the hotel after the drive from LA, I feel like I've arrived at an oasis of calm. One of the bar's excellent Irish coffees in the evening is sooo pleasant. (A bloody Mary at breakfast and a margarita in the afternoon are also good choices, but nothing beats a cold glass of the local mineral water with ice. The water actually seems crispy fresh. ) Our rooms are always clean and comfortable, sheets soft and white. We are able to eventually get enough towels. We fill our little refrigerator with healthy snacks and drinks, and we're ready to let the weekend unfold. It's lovely waking up in the middle of the night and going out to stand on the balcony in the desert moonlight . The waters just seem magical at that time, and it's easy to understand why the Indian people of the area considered the place sacred. If you are one of the "too, too beautiful people" looking for "the scene," please go somewhere else. You wouldn't fit in here, and you'd just be an embarrassment to us regular people just looking for a simple place to rejuvenate!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank happywanderer020
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 7 July 2009

So I meant to book a room at the Miracle Springs Spa which is right next door to Desert Hot Springs. Unfortunately, I told my friend the wrong name and she ended up booking a room at Desert Hot Springs. The woman she booked the room with told her 4 times that we could not get a refund so we were stuck here. When we arrived, we immediately looked yearningly over at the Miracle Springs, which is significantly nicer and better. Desert Hot Springs is definitely the very ugly, very overweight, very unattractive stepsister.

First, it appears that they allow the outside public to use the pools/spas (for cost). So the pool area is always overflowing with really unsavory people. The worst kinds of tourists seem to come here. Mostly tourists with huge families and a lot of rude teenagers/kids. There were TONS of families here so it appears to be popular for families on a serious budget.

The pools/spas were always way too crowded for my friend and I to enjoy them. We finally went around 11 pm and there were still a lot of people. The spas were quite dirty but I guess that's expected given how many people were using them. Needless to say, we showered vigorously. Next to the pool area is a bar that was open late but unfortunately, the bar users were loud, drunk and obnoxious.

The facilities are really quite grimy and old. Does not look like anyone cleans them routinely.

As for the room itself, there was blood stains on the wall outside of our door. Seriously. I was about to complain but we were only there one night and we immediately bolted for Palm Springs. The room was average size but it smelled quite odd and the AC took a while to get going. The bathroom was not very clean. The walls and glass door leading out to the patio overlooking the pools was thick enough that we didn't hear much noise. Pillows are WEAK so try to bring your own. No amenities but that's to be expected. They DID have FREE WiFi in the room so that's awesome.

There is plenty of free parking. The hotel staff was courteous enough. There appeared to be a diner attached but we didn't look at it.

In total, we definitely will not stay here again. Will stay at the Miracle Springs next time and not make the same mistake twice.

That being said, this place did seem popular with families on a budget and it seemed...um, safe enough, I suppose.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends