“An Oasis..”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Sam's Family Spa Hot Water Resort
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

Spending a month at Sam's and found the perfect place for desert sun. Appreciate the attention to detail for all services. The management is commended for excellent customer service and cleanliness of the entire property. An issue one evening was handled with professionalism. Close to golf and an enjoyable short drive to all services in Desert Hot Springs. We look forward to return visits because Sam's is a special place with welcoming atmosphere and exceptional value.

• Stayed: November 2012
There are newer reviews for Sam's Family Spa Hot Water Resort

Reviewed 19 November 2012

After reading a number of the reviews about Sam's I felt compelled to provide a balanced assessment. I have been spending winters at Sam's for the past several years. Sam's is one of the very few family friendly RV resorts in the Palm Springs area. My father has a trailer that is located at Sam's so I have been able to attend with my family during Decembers and January's for a number of years. First let me detail a few things that would be helpful. The resort has a number of fixed mobile homes and a number of fully serviced RV spots. There is a well equipped laundry building and a small store that accommodates kids candy and ice cream needs. The spa facility is the high light at Sam's, there are four hot pools with varied temperatures. The water is constantly being refreshed from the onsite hot springs. There are other standard pools for swimming and onsite BBQ pits. There is also a volleyball court and a fantastic pond with fish and ducks that you can feed. The washroom/shower rooms have always served the purpose. This year on an early visit in November I was surprised and pleased to see that they have been renovated with new tiles and flooring. While I am not sure they really needed it, it shows they are always working to keep things fresh and modern. The facility on a while is cleaned regularly and the sites are well kept. I noticed a number of the reviews seemed critical of Debbie. I have a very different opinion of Debbie and hopefully a different perspective for the readers. Debbie owns Sam's and tries very hard to provide a great location for everyone. My experience has been that she runs a tight ship and the visitors get the benefit of her work. If you are a weekend warrior looking for a quick stop for a party, don't bother and frankly we don't want you there. My experience with Debbie has always been fantastic and the controls in place are there for the guests who want to enjoy there stay. Last year we ended up next to a knucklehead who thought it was a party in the desert and that everyone else in the park should just put up with his crap. Debbie managed him well and also moved us so we did not have to endure his behaviour. I travel with teenage kids that understand rules and they have always enjoyed themselves at Sam's. I guess he bottom line is....if you want a mature, kid friendly place that has rules to ensure you can enjoy your stay...book at Sam's. If you want a party and to act like you are alone and own the place...PLEASE go somewhere else!!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Derek C
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Great place for a getaway for a family with kids. No need to worry about upsetting other guests because your kids are having fun. The facilities are really well maintained- new showers, steam room, ,sauna, and lots of BBQ's.
I don't reccomend for people that are uncomfortable with hanging out with other large families BBQing and having a good time.
Very down to earth and no frills. It was actually what we were looking for - a place to soak, take our kids, and relax without too much pretension.
You need to know that it is a mobile home, park with a hotel in the middle - so at first sight , you might be turned off - but when you see the pools , you will be happy.

Room Tip: Get room 10 - it has a huge sun deck
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This place has the best hot mineral water in DHS and could be a fabulous place to stay. The small pools are emptied and cleaned every night and no chlorine is added. The large pool has chlorinated water. Lots of palm trees keep the area a bit cooler in the hot months, but block the sun in the winter when the place is crowded and being in the sun is desirable. The worst thing is that all the chaise lounges are chained down and can't be moved to take advantage of the shifting sun.
Most of the staff are helpful, but the owner is grumpy and creates a negative atmosphere which ripples down to the staff, who lighten up and are more pleasant when she goes on vacation. The sites are standard RV park sites, some larger than others, and in general, the clientele are friendly and respectful of privacy. People are allowed to smoke pretty much everywhere and this leads to passive smoke at the camping sites and around the large pool.
During the winter the place was clean. When I went back for a few days in the summer, it was filthy. Stinky air 'fresheners' in all the bathrooms.
On the pro side, the scenery is wonderful, and the location seems to be somewhat protected from the worst desert winds.One can cross the road and hike in the desert on unmarked trails. The 40 acre site has peacocks and a duck pond and is very child friendly.

Room Tip: Look for a site that doesn't back onto Dillon Rd, unless you are used to road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank JsCcB
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed here 5 months with a group of people who travel for work. Sam's "rustic" appearance was appealing to me and I loved the fact that their were people who lived in an on site trailer park because that meant children for mine to play with being that they have so few friends on the road.
What a nightmare! Okay, the facilities are nice.....semi clean, and workable, but for the price I have seen better. The major downside to this place is the service. The manager is not people or family friendly at all and I suggest anyone who venture here to please do your research. These review sites are here for a purpose and if you dig a little you will see......

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank kubla76
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The greeting at the front desk is always friendly and welcoming.
We come here at least twice a month for long weekends all "winter season". You pick your own camp site among the tall palm trees.

The prices are extremely reasonable. The grounds are beautiful. Many pools (natural spring water), an aviary, a lake, lots of birds and ducks. The steam in the Steam room comes from the natural spring. The dry sauna is co-ed, the steam rooms are not.

This is a family friendly park and a pet friendly park. (We bring our dog)
There are several rooms that you can rent. Some have a kitchenette. They're bare bones however spotlessly clean.

The pools never seem "over-crowded" even when the park is full. The is a section of older park models with full time residents and a huge side for campers, rvs, and tent campers. Even a sections for camping clubs. Full hookups are available.
You have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world that come to escape the winter cold and enjoy the natural springs and relaxing atmosphere.

Fifteen minutes from Palm Springs and all it has to offer. Shopping and entertainment.

Lots of photos and information at http://samsfamilyspa.com/

Room Tip: More campground than hotel, the rooms they have are first come first serve. I believe you can make r...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jzsaavedra
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Let me just say, that we had a great vacation!
We let nothing spoil the family's fun in the sun :)
We came for Spring Break from Washington State, and its not our first time.
We love to soak in the natural waters, we love to relax and enjoy the wonderful facility, the beautiful fountains and gardens with birds and fish, it is the most relaxing place IF ... and I say IF you come on the day, when Debbie is off... all the staff are very nice and friendly EXCEPT for this lady. I don't know what it is, but she just can't let people have any fun, its like she is working there to ruin your vacation. We have no personal quarrel, as our kids know her from before, and managed to stay out of her way, but there was a Romanian family, and she did't like them at all, she pulled their teens out off the pool, and proceeded to lecture the dad on "it's your job to raise your children"...What? We drove for 2 days to listen to this nonsense? The next day the Romanian family wasn't there, so Debbie found a girl she didn't like... and puled her out of the pool, "because her mother wasn't there" I really feel for the mother, no fun at all if you can't leave your teenager in the pool to go to the bathroom :)))
Well, in closing, we are hoping that Debbie gets customer relations training, or, I hate to say it in this economy, but she needs to find another job...that does not include children and pools...
We love the place, but spending my vacation trying to please a mean staff member is not something I am willing to do any more, I guess I am to old for that.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family