“I agree with the last post.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sam's Family Spa Hot Water Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Sam's Family Spa Hot Water Resort
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Yuma, Arizona
“I agree with the last post.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed left after 2 days. The floor in the changing room and shower area was disgusting with dirt and hair. There is no way those floors are cleaned daily. It looked and felt slimey. Couldn't pay me to go into the steam room or sauna!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kevin560

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

We arrived on Dec 30th intending to stay one month. A day or so later, I noticed a few small pieces of what seemed to be plastic from a shampoo bottle (?) on the floor inside one of the two ladies main shower stalls. Two days went by and it was all still there. I was quite concerned now over how often the showers were being cleaned. To help confirm my suspicions I placed a decoy piece of paper towel in the corner of the same shower stall. Upon checking next evening, no cleaning had been done. It was still there along with the pieces of plastic. By now, five days had passed. I spoke with Debbie the next morning and she tried to convince me that the showers were ‘suppose’ to be cleaned on a daily basis and she would get on to it. The following day showed improvement. That was 4 days ago. My fear of catching a staph infection was just starting to subside when I noticed yesterday morning a dead fly inside one of the two main shower stalls. Sure enough, this morning the same fly was still laying in the corner. Once again, I made a mental note of a few other things that would have /should have been removed had any cleaning been done between yesterday morning and this morning. Such as big hairball on the floor outside the steam room, a large ball of thread on the floor outside the shower stall, and a brown stain on the rim of one of the toilets. Sure enough, this morning everything was still there! When I brought it to Debbie's attention once again, she tried this time to make it sound like I was being overly picky about the cleanliness in there. And instead of dealing with the fact that someone is not doing their job and some serious hosing, scrubbing and disinfecting needs to be done she gave us the boot off her property! Her words actually were “You’re obviously not happy here so you’d be better to leave.”
We left and will never go back. If Sam’s was just a regular Campground / RV Park that standard of cleanliness might be acceptable. But this is a health facility with oodles of people passing though to use the hot springs. Debbie seemed to think I was fixated on "the fly" but my thoughts were that it could easily have been something in human form like blood. Bacteria loves spas at the best of times.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Charlie B
Alberta Beach, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

We started "Snow Birding" seven years ago in the Phoenix and found that area too busy for our liking. The next year, we ventured west to Palm Springs and just by luck ended up at Sam's. Although our time there was short, it made enough of a positive impression that we have returned year after year staying longer each time.
The staff is friendly and helpful and Debbie, the owner, has been extremely kind to us. Last year we sold our motorhome and bought a trailer to leave at Sam's so that we could bring our wheel chair bound daughter down to spend time. The entire park and grounds are wheelchair accessable and there is a nice sized accessable shower/bathroom in the change area.
We brought our daughter down last year for the first time and she was made to feel very welcome by everyone there. We were also pleasantly surprised to be shown and encouraged to use the portable lift that enables non-ambulatory visitors access to all the pools. She is looking forward to returning with us this year.
The park has rules that help make everyone's visit enjoyable, but not so many that you're afraid to do anything. Dogs on leash (there is a small off-leash area in the park), children must have parental supervision at the pools, etc. If you choose to break the rules, you will probably hear from Debbie or her staff and I, for one, am grateful that they make it their business to ensure that I have a good time.
We are looking forward to returning to Sam's at the beginning of January and becoming reacquainted with people we have met in previous years. We enjoy the social activities that are offered and the fact that our grandchildren are welcome there.
Sam's may not be a five star resort, but it has my "five circle" rating for family being family and pet friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Connie C
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

Spending a month at Sam's and found the perfect place for desert sun. Appreciate the attention to detail for all services. The management is commended for excellent customer service and cleanliness of the entire property. An issue one evening was handled with professionalism. Close to golf and an enjoyable short drive to all services in Desert Hot Springs. We look forward to return visits because Sam's is a special place with welcoming atmosphere and exceptional value.

• Stayed November 2012
      Rooms
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

After reading a number of the reviews about Sam's I felt compelled to provide a balanced assessment. I have been spending winters at Sam's for the past several years. Sam's is one of the very few family friendly RV resorts in the Palm Springs area. My father has a trailer that is located at Sam's so I have been able to attend with my family during Decembers and January's for a number of years. First let me detail a few things that would be helpful. The resort has a number of fixed mobile homes and a number of fully serviced RV spots. There is a well equipped laundry building and a small store that accommodates kids candy and ice cream needs. The spa facility is the high light at Sam's, there are four hot pools with varied temperatures. The water is constantly being refreshed from the onsite hot springs. There are other standard pools for swimming and onsite BBQ pits. There is also a volleyball court and a fantastic pond with fish and ducks that you can feed. The washroom/shower rooms have always served the purpose. This year on an early visit in November I was surprised and pleased to see that they have been renovated with new tiles and flooring. While I am not sure they really needed it, it shows they are always working to keep things fresh and modern. The facility on a while is cleaned regularly and the sites are well kept. I noticed a number of the reviews seemed critical of Debbie. I have a very different opinion of Debbie and hopefully a different perspective for the readers. Debbie owns Sam's and tries very hard to provide a great location for everyone. My experience has been that she runs a tight ship and the visitors get the benefit of her work. If you are a weekend warrior looking for a quick stop for a party, don't bother and frankly we don't want you there. My experience with Debbie has always been fantastic and the controls in place are there for the guests who want to enjoy there stay. Last year we ended up next to a knucklehead who thought it was a party in the desert and that everyone else in the park should just put up with his crap. Debbie managed him well and also moved us so we did not have to endure his behaviour. I travel with teenage kids that understand rules and they have always enjoyed themselves at Sam's. I guess he bottom line is....if you want a mature, kid friendly place that has rules to ensure you can enjoy your stay...book at Sam's. If you want a party and to act like you are alone and own the place...PLEASE go somewhere else!!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Derek C
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Great place for a getaway for a family with kids. No need to worry about upsetting other guests because your kids are having fun. The facilities are really well maintained- new showers, steam room, ,sauna, and lots of BBQ's.
I don't reccomend for people that are uncomfortable with hanging out with other large families BBQing and having a good time.
Very down to earth and no frills. It was actually what we were looking for - a place to soak, take our kids, and relax without too much pretension.
You need to know that it is a mobile home, park with a hotel in the middle - so at first sight , you might be turned off - but when you see the pools , you will be happy.

Room Tip: Get room 10 - it has a huge sun deck
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gambier, Ohio, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

This place has the best hot mineral water in DHS and could be a fabulous place to stay. The small pools are emptied and cleaned every night and no chlorine is added. The large pool has chlorinated water. Lots of palm trees keep the area a bit cooler in the hot months, but block the sun in the winter when the place is crowded and being in the sun is desirable. The worst thing is that all the chaise lounges are chained down and can't be moved to take advantage of the shifting sun.
Most of the staff are helpful, but the owner is grumpy and creates a negative atmosphere which ripples down to the staff, who lighten up and are more pleasant when she goes on vacation. The sites are standard RV park sites, some larger than others, and in general, the clientele are friendly and respectful of privacy. People are allowed to smoke pretty much everywhere and this leads to passive smoke at the camping sites and around the large pool.
During the winter the place was clean. When I went back for a few days in the summer, it was filthy. Stinky air 'fresheners' in all the bathrooms.
On the pro side, the scenery is wonderful, and the location seems to be somewhat protected from the worst desert winds.One can cross the road and hike in the desert on unmarked trails. The 40 acre site has peacocks and a duck pond and is very child friendly.

Room Tip: Look for a site that doesn't back onto Dillon Rd, unless you are used to road noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo