“Excellent people and excellent dog haven!”

Desert Hot Springs Inn
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
San Diego, California, United States
“Excellent people and excellent dog haven!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This was a great spot to relax and let the dogs be dogs. We were looking for a spot where we can get away from the city for a bit and chill in the desert. We really enjoyed the freedom of the spa and Bob, the inn keeper was super friendly and very welcoming. We will definitely be back. Oh yeah the dogs really had a great time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Patrick L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My pup, Shiloh, and I love coming here with friends. It's a great place to relax, play with your dog and just unwind. The DogSpa is not just a "dog friendly" hotel, it is designed for you AND your dog. The fact that it's entirely off leash says it all. We had an especially nice time hanging out in the lounge watching movies or sitting outside watching the sunset in front of the fire pit. All the while, I was able to toss the ball for Shiloh. Love this place!

Room Tip: If you have more than one party, definitely get the rooms with the adjoining kitchen!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We just needed a place last minute where they accepted dogs but we got an fantastic paradise. Dogs swimming, hot springs, doggy beds king sized, it was fantastic. Go there and have a fantastic time. Also - the price is almost unbelievable, I even said to the bookings person "What's the catch". Enjoy yourselves!

Room Tip: Grab suite #1, right by the entrance, easy to remember and has a kitchen!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Edward H
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We had an amazing time on our trip to the DogSpa in March. It reminded me of staying in someone's home but with more and larger bedrooms. It's a 8 room or so small hotel whose owner lives onsite. Conveniently located near Palm Springs, this was a dog friendly option that fit our needs pefectly. Note that their was a Yelp deal for $100 for $75. There was also a complimentary upgrade to a room with a kitchenette when checking in on Yelp too.

The rooms are built facing around the pool area which has 2 locked gates to a small parking area outside. There is a great mineral springs fed pool and hot tub which were the perfect temperature. Everything was immaculately clean and had very modern decor. I loved the color schemes!

We were greeted by Paula upon checking in. Note that check in is from 3-5 pm so if you need to check in later, contact the property to arrange something else. I didn't notice that check in window on my reservation confirmation email but they graciously accomodated me when I was late. Paula made sure we took our dog off leash so she could see how he interacted with other people and dogs. That's important to make a property like this work.

There is a small common area and kitchen that included a daily continental breakfast. There was also an outdoor dog run/potty area/fire pit off of the common area outside. Paula showed us around and then took us to our room. There were two rooms that could share the kitchenette so she locked the other room off making it private for us. The kitchette came with the necessary amenties including dishes, ice cubes, dog bowls, etc. The room itself was uniquely decorated and very comfortable. I loved the giant dog bed in the corner of the room too. There were two comfy robes in the closet plus lots of extra, plush towels. One suggestion would be to put a luggage rack in the room because we had to use one of the chairs for that purpose. The bathroom was very small but modern and sufficient for what we needed. We stayed in room #3 which was on the main road side of the property and was definitely louder than we expected.

Overall, we had a great experience and so did our dog. We would definitely come back!

I knocked off 1 star from my review because the booking process would've been easier if it could be done on their website instead of calling someone. I also had to call someone to make a change to my reservation. The wifi also didn't work in our room due to the concrete construction of the walls and location of the signal box. We could pick it up by the pool so enhancing that plus adding online booking would bring my rating up to 5 stars!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the main road side of the property to cut down on traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I will start by saying when I heard the name of this place, I thought it was a hotel/boarding facility for my dog. After some research I saw that it was a hotel where your dog was as welcome as you are. Honestly I didnt believe it because I have traveled to so many "dog friendly" hotels with my dog only to find out there are a million rules for your dog and truly my dog was just simply extra money for the hotel as you are pretty much charged for everything. So my friend and I decide we are going to give it a try. We arrived and walked in with my pit bull on leash. We were greeted by a very kind gentleman named Bob who checked us in and gave us the lowdown on the policies of the hotel, which are just the common sense things that we do when we have our dogs socializing with other dogs. So I will say for the first half an hour we were very uncomfortable and I could not figure out why. About a half hour in, I realized that I felt like I was a new guest in someones home and my dog may be an inconvenience. However this is not the case at all, everyone including the guests, the owner, the caretaker and the owners sister who happened to be visiting made us feel so welcome and in about 45 minutes I realized I could have stayed here for a month. Ozzie, my dog was in heaven, he ran around in the dog park and around the pool and then he relaxed in a dog bed right next to the pool and sunned himself in an afternoon nap. He was so welcome here that I really did feel like I was at a great friends home for the weekend. The mineral pool and spa amazing and the rooms are very clean and decorated in style. There is a really nice bbq in the pool area as well as comfortable tables and chairs to enjoy what you grilled up. The dog park has an fantastic view along with a fire pit where you can watch the sunset and then transition to a sky full of what seems to be the brightest stars. The complimentary breakfast was simple and perfect. You can rent out the entire place and get a great rate for this as I spoke with the owner about it as I have a large group of friends who love to travel with their dogs. All I can say is I cannot wait to go back as it is a two hour drive from where I live in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: I toured the property and the rooms are all great. If you are a light sleeper, like me, you may wan...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NoNoNuNu
Highland
Reviewed 28 February 2013

The Dogspa Resort is a nice place to get away with your dog(s), take in some sun, and lounge at the same time. The mineral pool and spa are great. Both are heated. The atmosphere is nice and relaxed and the staff are very friendly. The rooms are well appointed with nice modern decor and are quite clean as well.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We loved this remodeled 50's motel! It has beautiful views, great mineral pool and hot tub, terrific decorating and best of all, caters to dogs as well as people. We were met by Bob at the gate who was very welcoming and helpful and let us check in early. We also met owner Paula and her dogs, she was very nice and efficient. We rented a room without fridge and it was small but really nice - had french doors leading to the pool/patio, a deluxe bed for our dog Bode, and a wild bathroom. Since it only has 8 rooms, its small scale and intimate, and we met many nice people and their dogs. Great continental breakfast too. We were definitely sorry to leave! Dogs Rule!

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was close to living room common area and kitchen. Rooms on the second floor migh...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harlowjan
PaulaTerifaj, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Your hat is on it's way back to you! Shipped it UPS on 2/28. There is no charge to you for this service.

Thanks for staying with us,

Paula and the dogs that rule!