“OK for Groupon Deal”

Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Irwindale, California
“OK for Groupon Deal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed here via a "Romance Package" Groupon. For starters, the staff was very friendly & helpful.
We were escorted to our room upon check-in, which was a different experience and I wasn't sure what to make of it. Our voucher said 2 "welcome cocktails" were included but upon check-in, this wasn't mentioned to us & we asked about it later in the evening, which is a self pour from a bottle of champagne that looked to be sitting out in the lobby area for a while (didn't partake). For some reason, I thought that would be a well drink of choice at the hotel's bar/restaurant.
The champagne & chocolates/snacks assortment was very basic. We got a standard Brut champagne with plastic glasses, 1 milk & 1 dark chocolate Lindor truffle balls, snack size bag of almonds, gummy fruit snacks, Ritz cracker & cheese, peanut butter crackers, hard granola bar and a chewy granola bar.
The rooms are renovated and overall decent and the bed/pillows were comfy. The pool/jacuzzi area was nice & looks exactly like the photos on their website. We didn't dine in the hotel's restaurant as selections seemed just OK and it closes too early for late night dining.
The jade bed treatment massage was an interesting experience. First, you are given a key to a private room w/2 massage beds. The room was out of fresh/clean sheets so we assumed the folded sheets on the beds were clean (we hope!). Being a rookie at massage stuff, there was a remote to start the massage bed, but I honestly wasn't sure if I was lying on the bed correctly or how to use these separate attachments and, although the privacy is much appreciated, I hoped someone would've been there to ask if any initial assistance was needed. It was a bit uncomfortable on my lower back. We didn't use the full 30 min each.
Overall, we would consider staying again, but at a promotional rate.
As for local eateries, if you like Mexican food, check out South of the Border (SOB burrito seems to be a local fave) - it's a humble establishment that has good eats for sure!

Room Tip: Perhaps I would recommend an upgrade to a suite, but at $100 more per night, that seems a bit overpr...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GetawayTraveler2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We bought a travelzoo coupon for this spa hotel, at a very good rate. I usually stay at Miracle Hot Springs in Palm Desert, but figured it would be nice to try a new place.
When we first pulled up, the front of the hotel is not done yet and my partner and I thought "oh man, we've made a huge mistake". From the outside, it's plain, needs painting, you can see where the letters from the old hotel used to be and it's generally not at all glamorous. Looks actually pretty scary. . ....well, once inside it's obvious that they have recently bought the hotel and are in the process of renovating and have started from the inside out..which is very smart.
Our room was very nice, modern, clean. We didn't have a spa room (saw those, and will stay in one next time as they are great), but the space was well laid out, with a separate changing area (which is great when you come in with a wet bathing suit!) and a huge walk in shower that was lovely. The bed was very comfortable and linens were nice and clean feeling.

There are 2 big hot tubs and 1 large warm pool all were great, and we stayed mostly in the large pool which was really nice and had a bunch of loungers as well as several other items like couches, tables etc so you could set yourself or group up in whatever configuration you were comfortable and spend the day out in the sun and pool. There's also drink service poolside, so you can get a diet coke, a drink, or whatever you desire brought to you. It was wonderful. They also have several smaller areas where you could have more privacy and quieter space if you desired.
Our package came with a meal at the restaurant, which is also being redone...the inside looks very old coffee shop still but they've added an enclosed patio which is very nice to sit on. The servce and food were great. We had dinner one night and breakfast the next a.m. and both meals were very enjoyable. I know that as time goes on the little things that occured (like breaksfast coming out separately for each member of our party) will be easily fixable. And the attitude of the servers makes up for any small shortcomings we encountereed, as they were so sweet and wanted to please us.

The staff at the hotel were all very accomodating and wanted to make sure we were enjoying our stay I felt.

We did not try the spa services.

In general, this hotel is nice now and I expect will be very nice once they finish upgrading the entire property. I would definitely stay here again and have recommended it to friends. Next time a spa room for sure!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Escondido, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

When we went they were preparing the outside of hotel for paint,so it looked a little dissapointing,Don't let this stop you from staying here,We had a Spa Suite and it was the best. Our room was nicely decorated,The seperate room with the Jacuzzi was Awesome!!!!
The staff was very Helpful and Friendly,It was a little Cold when we stayed so we did not get to enjoy the courtyard and Pool area,We look forward to coming back when it is a little warmer outside so we can have our coffee outside in the morning.The pool and Jacuzzis are open 24 hrs which is great. Meals and shopping are a 15 min. drive down Palm Dr. which turns into Gene Autry Trail, will take you into Palm Springs. We loved the fact that on the next block there is a Vons,so when you realize you left something @ home you can get it close by. the Spa robes that came with the Spa Room,were a Big Hit with my wife.We used the Spa Beds and really liked them. No this is not a High End Spa,It is a place that we Really enjoyed staying and are lookin forward to coming back and enjoying again.My only regret is that we already have some other Travel plans for our next few trips. Otherwise we would be coming back sooner than we are going to be able to.We will be talking it up to Family and Friends.

Room Tip: We had a Spa Suite so we were on the ground floor,but no real issues
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Like others have said, the outward appearance from the street isn't great. The lobby, rooms, and pool area are much better. The staff are all extremely friendly and courteous without being intrusive. Another reviewer on here, Elle from Ventura, said she felt very unsafe in the area. We didn't feel that way at all, although desert hot springs seems to be economically depressed. The pool and hot tubs at the hotel are great and very clean. Free champagne in the lobby in the afternoon/ evening. Restaurant on the grounds has good, plentiful food. A free dinner was part of our travelzoo package. The regular prices for dinner seemed high (e.g., $17 for chicken Marsala). This hotel is a great getaway if you have a deal from groupon or travelzoo. Otherwise, I think it would be overpriced.

• Stayed December 2011
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

It was a great stay loved the breakfest in the morning and the pools where great. Will be coming back soon!The manager Ella was very nice and she treated us with great respect. The workers at the resturant where very nice and the service was the best.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Hemet, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

The room, the pool, the Jacuzzi, and staff are great! The rooms are extremely clean and great decor! The pool and the Jacuzzi, clean, not overcrowded, warm and relaxing. The staff is as helpful as they can be within their limits. But, the building is actually a motel re-painted and redecorated with an attempt to make it an upscale facility. Money has not been spent on the outside. As you drive up, it makes you nervous. But, the inside is actually nicely painted and decorated.

I went on a coupon that advertised cocktails for 2. They were not provided, I asked about them after I had left and was told that was the Champaign that was offered at check-in (there was none offered and I would expect a drink of my choice at my own time). The webpage boast about 100% cloth robes, when I asked about them, those were only for guest in “Suites.” It also came with a 30 min massage for 2. It turned out to be 30 minutes on an automated table that did not seem too clean and you had to change the sheets yourself per the instructions on a dresser in a regular motel room that had white sheets hung on the walls and burnt out candles in an attempt to make it look “Spa-ish.” I am quite happy I did not pay more than I did. It was not worth more than that. I would not pay full price. I do wish it had lived up to the hype on the website as well as the coupon, it was our wedding anniversary. I wanted it to be special. Next time, I will stay in Palm Springs and let her pick the place. While my wife did not complain, she does know what a Spa is, and this was a good attempt at it. Better than a Motel, less than a Spa.

Room Tip: Better than a Motel, less than a Spa.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jay S
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

My husband and I recently had to go to Desert Hot Springs. We had planned to stay at the vacant home of a family member, but when we arrived there we found that the home was without water and power. At 7 pm we had to find a hotel for the next two night that would accept us AND our dog. It was 2 days before Thanksgiving. We drove from Dillon Rd towards the "downtown" area of Desert Hot Springs. The first place we saw was Aqua Soleil. It looked nice, but I did not expect them to take a dog - surprise, they have 2-3 rooms available for guests with pets and one was available. The rate was reasonable $85 per night and a $30 pet charge - if we had gone into Palm Springs, the rates would have been much higher, and the other hotels in the area did not appear to be as nice. We are so glad we chose to stay here. The staff was very helpful - I needed extras like a back board for my husband (usually we end up using the ironing board), and they delivered one, they came up with utensils and dishes for me to use with my take-out dinner, they ran to the door at 4 am when I had to take the dog out for a "run" and stood in the front keeping an eye on us both. Made us feel nice and safe.
The building is a 3-storey square built around a large pool and two spas, including one spa inside a private gazebo with curtains - thisprotects the courtard from getting too windy - high winds are common in the desert. The landscaping was desert island, lot's of palm trees, bouganvilea and patches of grass that was fake but set off the decore very nicely. Several areas to sit and a barbeque area. Very nice place to hang out in the evening with a glass of wine. In the morning, a light breakfast is served in the lobby- oj, coffee, pastries, yogurt, cereal. You can take it back to your room or eat outside overlooking the pool. They also served champagne in the evening - sat on the lounge enjoying that! There is a restaurant attached, however it was not open while we were there, so I'm not sure if the breakfast in the lobby is all the time or only when the restauran is closed - I was told the restaurant would be open on the weekend, but I would ask first. There are several places withing a very quick drive or couple blocks walk, Starbucks, Goodys ( don't know them but they advertise breakfast) other meals we had KFC and pizza delivered to the room. There is a park one block away - behind the hotel. My dog & I had a some nice "dog greetings" and a good run there. Our room was basic, black modern looking Ikea furniture, a nice size shower, a queen bed (no king available that night) large armoir, desk and a comfy sitting chair. Not large, but big enough, and very clean. Also had free Wi Fi , in-room coffee and small refridgerators. Linens were nice cotton, the top cover was two sheets surrounding a duvet which means the "cover" will be laundered between each guest - much better than bedspread that gets washed only when it "looks" dirty. They also have large luxury suites with in-room jacuzzis and large balcony patios overlooking the pool, massage services are available and, if you are in the area but do not need a hotel, they offer day use of the pool and spa facilities. We were extremely pleased and absolutely will visit here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms surround the pool - ground floor is easier to get to, but the higher rooms have the la...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business