“Aqua soleil hotel and spa”

Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Rancho Mirage, California
“Aqua soleil hotel and spa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

The essentials of the spa are satisfactory... I would characterize the property as 'minimimalist, " which I prefer. The staff is friendly, but not especially engaged....Loved having the site to myself, I chose a Sunday knowing it would not be crowded. My spa treatment was stupendous!

Room Tip: Prefer upper level rooms...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank byrdiecute

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
Bellflower, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the Aqua Soleil Hotel during the summer. The place has some good points and bad points. If you are expecting a real nice spa you will be disappointed. The outside and surrounding area is very depressed with an abandon trailer park in the back. The hotel from the outside is not very nice. Once inside the lobby has been redone and restaurant area have been updated. The hotel is a square shape and the grounds and pool are in the interior section with the rooms around it. It is not very big. If you are going to stay here you should get the spa room without using a Groupon coupon because it is cheaper to book the spa room directly from hotel. The private pool in the room is perfect for couples looking to have a private romantic getaway. In my opinion it is the only reason to go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a spa room with private in room pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MichaelS32059
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed over the weekend with a groupon at what I felt was a reasonable rate.

The best thing about this hotel are the common areas. They have done a great job of putting out comfortable patio furniture and lots of great seating areas to sit around and enjoy the nice weather. There are two spas - indoor and outdoor, depending on your preference - and both are large enough to accommodate a lot of people. The swimming pool is also very nice and they played movies on a large projection screen both nights we were there. While lazing by the pool, the bartender stopped by to see if we wanted anything, which was also nice - I had been craving a bloody mary and he appeared!

The room was cute, and it seems like pains have been taken to decorate each room a bit differently. There were some details I thought were out of place, though, like spatters of the black glitter paint used to paint the bathroom doorframe all over the bathroom floor. And black mildew in the corners of the shower, yuck.

Housekeeping did not impress me. We left the "please clean room" sign on our door at 8am on Sunday morning. We returned at 2pm, the room hadn't been cleaned. We sat down for a second and figured we'd just step outside when the maid showed up, because the cart was literally one door away. 30 minutes later she rolled right by us and ignored our room completely! By this time I wanted to shower before my spa appointment, so I just flagged her down (she skipped our room EVEN THOUGH THE SIGN WAS STILL ON THE DOOR, I can't comprehend this), and changed out our old towels for new ones.

Spa appointment was OK. There isn't really a "spa" here, it's two converted guest rooms, but that's not a big deal. Someone vacuuming in the room above me during a massage is not cool, though. But I don't see how that can be avoided with the setup. The massage was different. I've had dozens of massages, I've never had the therapist dig her elbow into my butt cheek while waving my foot back and forth before.

The issue was this morning, when I got up to shower. No hot water. I waited 30 minutes, still nothing. I called the front desk, the guy said, "Dude, I know, we've had like a bunch of calls already. Maintenance is working on it." I wound up waiting another 30 minutes and then took a cold shower because we needed to get going. So at least one hour with no hot water (and a pretty full hotel), I don't know what time it started.

I mentioned at checkout I was unhappy with the water situation, the guy (I'm guessing the "dude" guy) shrugged and said, "Sorry." In my opinion, hot water is one of those basics that the hotel should provide. I understand that stuff happens, but in this instance, the staff is either not empowered, interested, or trained to offer any kind of compensation for it, and I don't find that acceptable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank GSKorelys
Santee, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I choose this hotel to spend our 15th anniversary using the Groupon spa deal since we are trying to save money to buy a place in near San Diego. Since I was used to world class spas like Bonneville Hot Springs in Oregon, I had already adjusted my expatiations before arriving, unlike some reviewers here. However, when driving up and seeing security smoking right outside the main entrance near the major street, I thought we were going to be in for an interesting weekend to say the least. We had a standard room that was just big enough for two people and was furnished with new Ikea furniture to give it a more modern vibe than whatever was there before. We were so tired after fighting traffic from San Diego that we ate in what was apparently the only real restaurant in Desert Hot Springs at the hotel. That is when my attitude started shifting about the hotel. The seafood pasta dish was very good and my wife liked what she had as well. After spending time relaxing in the hot tub and swimming in the pool while watching a movie in their nice courtyard, I finally felt rested enough to sleep. The next day was spent in Palm Springs, only 15 minutes away, and into the state park wilderness on top of the tram. On the day we left we both had a delicious breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and my wife had her massage. We both would advise against the jade bed in favor of something else, but she enjoyed her massage. While she had her massage I walked around the property and surrounding neighborhood. Other than the abandoned trailer park in the back, it is actually a not that bad of an area with a park nearby. After checking out we took the scenic drive through nearby Joshua Tree National Park on the way home to top off a very enjoyable trip and plan to come back sometime when we are interested in seeing the surrounding Palm Springs area for a reasonable price and reasonable comfort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bakersfield, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had a really good time at the spa with my husband. They show a nice movie by the pool when the sunsets and the resturant is nice. I enjoyed my stay. The only thing I would recommend is to upgrade to the room with a balcony they are much better than the original room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Lani C
Tustin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The newly renovated hotel is a wonderful boutique style hotel and spa. The rooms are super clean and the staff is very friendly and accomodating. The drinks were strong and the food was yummy (especially breakast). If you opt for a facial, ask for Nina...the hot stone massage is heavenly. The best part, watching a movie poolside (or in the pool) on Saturday nite!! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KML23
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I think this place is a diamond in the rough. You can't beat the price, and every room is cutely decorated, colorfully painted, and clean. The bathrooms are updated, and it is amazing what some colorful paint and cute furniture can do, especially when it seems that this was once a probably very old and run down motel. I am not sure they could have done a better job. The bar is also fabulous, and the salad and brushetta that I had for dinner was fresh and tasty. I think it was also one of the few times I've gone to a bar and didn't see one water spot on my wine glass...it was perfect. Bravo!!! - Aqua Soleil Hotel....I actually stayed here two weeks in a row because I had to be in Joshua Tree on business. I will be sure to stay again...

Do note however that if you are a light sleeper you might want to bring ear plugs (I always sleep with them anyway). The walls are a little thin, but at the end of the day they did a great job with what they started with... The hot mineral spa could also have been a little hotter, but it was relaxing nonetheless....

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floors have nice views of the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo