We were travelling from Ireland and I did quite a bit of research (a lot of it on this site) to try and find a nice relaxing hotel in the desert which made use of the local hot springs. The reviews of the Spring were very favourable here so we booked two nights.
It has to be said that Desert Hot Springs is not the most attractive of towns, there are many chain and fast food outlets and little personality is evident on the main streets (we later had a terrible experience at one of the larger resorts). The hotel gave me directions which skipped the main drag and they asked that we didn't follow the google or mapquest directions. This was actually very sensible as a trip through the town would have given us a bad impression and maybe darkened our mood. As it was the drive was scenic and put us in relaxed mood on arrival.
The Spring is very small, I think there were 9 rooms and has the feel of an intimate retreat rather than any kind of large commercial enterprise. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff and some refreshing water from the spring before a tour of the premises.
We had booked a room by the pool and it was excellent. There is no television (but wi fi access). The main plus is the bed, probably the most comfortable we've ever slept in. The owners of this hotel clearly care about the comfort of their guests. The sheets are made of Egyptian cotton and there is none of the bleach often associated with hotels. The bathroom comes kitted with excellent shampoos, washes and soaps. The room next to us came with a kitchen which was only $20 extra.
Even late at night we got to try out the finnish wood sauna (excellent but a little cramped), the spring water hot tub (fresh jets of water and very warm even on a cold windy night)...and the small indoor pool (again, perfect refreshing sping water, lovely temperature and atmosphere).
The mineral water swimming pool is also excellent, very refreshing and easily large enough to swim some lengths.
Whilst we were there, we were unfortunate that the weather was very windy although the sun was out. But the atmosphere at The Spring is calming and refreshing. There's a very warm comfortable living area (where you get breakfast as well) where you can relax after being in the pool with a book or some newspapers. The breakfast is basic and healthy (yoghurt, muesli, coffee, perfect for the setting) .
We didn't get a chance to do any treatments as we left to visit the living desert but the Spring is a wonderful, calm atmosphere run by people who pay attention to every detail. They will even order food in from local restuarants (there's a nice homely Italian and good mexican, little else) should you get comfortable and decide not to move form the hotel for your stay.
We will return as soon as possible. Thank you the Spring!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THE SPRING Resort & Spa is a magical place. Overlooking Palm Springs w/dramatic views of snow capped mountain peaks, magnificent mineral water emerges from the earth at 170 degrees, charged with healing, restorative minerals. Luxurious, romantic guest rooms surround 3 mineral pools, featuring king pillow-top beds, down pillows, duvets and 100% Egyptian cotton linens. THE SPRING Day Spa offers a complete line of spa treatments, massages, buffs, wraps, and facials. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your The Spring Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Spring Hotel Desert Hot Springs
- The Spring Resort And Spa
- Hot Spring California