“Finally did at We Care what I could never accomplish on my own!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of We Care Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
We Care Spa
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Los Angeles
“Finally did at We Care what I could never accomplish on my own!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

I went to We Care to get rid of my junk food eating, wine drinking, and extra 10 pounds. Habits I just kept returning to even after trying every diet. I used to be really disciplined but as I've gotten older I don't seem to be able to make myself do the right thing around food anymore. I had never fasted before and was a little scared at what that would feel like because I hate the feeling of being hungry. The good news is that the place is perfectly set up to make it easy to succeed. I was never really hungry which surprised me. I did have trouble sleeping the first few nights and booked some additional treatments to fill in downtime. The best part was the main kitchen area where you can just hang out and talk to people. I haven't laughed so much in years. You really get to know and have fun with people when you are all in it together so it was a great added pleasure to have fun while fasting. I wasn't expecting that. Result is I lost 12 pounds and have easily kept it off for 3 months so far. Even though I took a trip to Paris this summer, I was able to eat in a whole new way. Love this place. There's no place else like it. Even if you go to a regular spa that serves spa cuisine, you are always tempted to cheat. But, I found that fasting actually makes you not hungry! I will definetly be back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
13 Thank LiNeLe

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

Here's the thing.... 1. Never go to the desert in the middle of the freaking summer! What was I thinking?! 2. If you are expecting that someone will make your drinks and have your detox menus freshly prepared for you... think again. Sadly, this is a "do-it-yourself" venue which is unfortunate given the price. They have a communion kitchen where they give you a bag of various pills and set up canisters of green items and you basically make everything, i.e., your detox drinks, yourself. 3. There was rarely if ever a detox expert or specialist around to ask questions or discuss your personal experience. 4. The "classes" they had were introductory and of course if you want a full meditation, ph balance, blood reading or whatever experience you can sign up and pay an astronomical price for it. 5. The room was only ok. If you are looking for modern, look elsewhere. If you are looking for rustic... have at it. I was most bothered at the lack of attention at the timing of the "suggested" colonics, which is where it seems they also make their money. I had a colonic scheduled for 5pm on a Thursday and again at 9am on the very next day! I was only told, "it should be ok". Be careful "when" you go to We Care as more often then not it will be incredibly hot and by that I mean its 90 degrees by 830am. With this as a backdrop, there is very little to do but sit in your room, crank up the AC and wait until its time to make your next drink. Overall, I met amazing people here but I didn't feel like this was an experience to be repeated at all if you are looking for a great detox. I definitely would not go again. It wasn't worth the money to me.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
25 Thank SanitySpaAddict
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2008

I am just finishing my 2nd trip at We Care Spa. My first 1.5 years ago. This is an amazing experience that is difficult to put into words. My goal in coming here was to relax, drop some weight, get my nutrition back in line and have some amazing Spa treatments and get rid of the blackberry addiction for a few days.Goals met! The Detox is tough , no question but you rarely feel hungry as you are given 14 different types of liquid drinks a day. No hunger but the typical cravings especially if you use the TV and see all the ads for junk food! The last trip I lost 11 lbs, this trip I lost 5 lbs in the first day.

- Definitely do the colonics, a humbling experience if you haven’t done one before but worth it
- Do the pre-fasting before your arrival, you will be well ahead of your goals if you do. I didn’t this 2nd time and regret it
- I brought a couple of books, there is wireless in the rooms and satellite TV, I was never bored
- DO NOT leave without having the 90 minute Thai Massage with Juan and the Korean Body Splash….absolute heaven on earth!

I will be back again next year!

• Liked — Detox
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
9 Thank DJSToronto
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

I had two goals when I went to We Care Spa in April-to lose 10 lbs and quit smoking! And I did both! I didn't really know what to expect-my husband said for the money, I should stay at the Ritz Carlton, and just not eat! What a mistake that would have been! I booked a Sunday to Friday stay. I spent Friday and Saturday at a casino in Indio, and had an In 'N Out burger, fries, and a shake at 10pm on Saturday. Sunday morning, I smoked my last pack of cigarettes, drank black coffee, and was off to the Spa. I drove past it twice, and had to call for more directions (it is definitely out in the middle of nowhere). I booked a Colony room, thinking that if I was miserable and starving, I wanted to be comfortable. The room was nice (bring slippers-all the floors are tile) but I saw the least expensive room, and I certainly would have been fine with it. Having the jacuzzi outside of my room was nice, I have to admit. But when I go back (and I will), I will just book the least expensive room.
The staff at We Care is wonderful. The other guests made the week go by quickly. Many of the guests had been to We Care several times before. I made my first friend right away at the pool on the first day. She had been there before-I asked her about all the classes (I'm just not that into health)-she said it didn't matter if you went to all or none of the classes. I was glad, as I was there to lose weight, not necessarily get healthy! And for that reason, I only did what I could tolerate of the program. The detox drink-I only had half of it once a day. Carrot juice-couldn't stomach it! And the evening "soups"-well, let's say I had a piece of gum a day for dinner. But I didn't smoke, drink diet soda, or do anything else bad.
Every day after my treatments (yes, I did the colonics, but each day I also booked a wonderful massage or facial, etc) I either went shopping on El Paseo (Rodeo Drive of the Desert), to the Mall in Palm Springs, or to the Aqua Caliente Casino. It's good to have a car so you can get away for awhile. I took my bottle of water, and never cheated-didn't smoke, either. By Friday, I had lost 12 lbs. I more than achieved my goal! I went home in a size smaller jeans, and had made a few friends for life! It is now 3 weeks later, and I'm still not smoking. I put on 2 lbs when I started eating, but 3 weeks later, I have lost the 2 lbs, plus 4 more. Although I said I didn't care about health, I am eating better, healthier, and lighter meals. It was a tough 6 days, I have to admit, but certainly worth the money and the torture! I didn't think I would go back again, but I've decided I will go back for a weekend "update" in the future.
Don't go to We Care if you are looking for a fun in the sun Palm Springs week. Do go if you are interested in doing something good for your body. The "Detox" part of it I didn't care about, but if you want to Detox your body, this is the place. If you want to lose weight, this is the place. Even the smallest guests lost enough weight that you could see it at the end. And several of us lost 10+ pounds. We Care is great! I'm glad I went! You will be too!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
11 Thank pkpkathy
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2007

This spa is out in the middle of Desert Palm Springs. There is literally nothing else you will be doing during your stay. The rooms were outdated but functional and did have a/c. It's a very small resort and the pool is the size of a kiddie pool. You and all the guests make your own detox conconctions and drinks in the shared kitchen. This place is really more of a detox center then a "spa"... although the spa treatments were top notch. If you want to get your full money's worth be sure to book all your included treatments ahead of time, do their suggested fruit/veggie diet the week before, and expect to starve yourself for your stay. If you can tough it out the first night you will lose a lot of weight too! The desert is beautiful. Just expect to spend a lot of quiet time by yourself and be one with nature. You do get to know the other guests quite well since there is not much else to do. I'd recommend brining aspirin and crackers (just in case) if you've never fasted before. The staff at the spa is an EXCEPTIONAL group of people.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
8 Thank amwerewolfinlondon
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2006

While I don't believe the facilities are the Ritz Carlton....I would give it a 3 out of 5 when it comes to decor and grounds landscaping, the spa is not about interior design or posh surroundings.

If you are completely serious and curious about how to turn around your diet, your life, learning about the benefits of colon therapy, being in a supportive peaceful surrounding and getting excellent service and amazing spa treatments by staff far more capable than at most 5 star hotels, come to We Care. Its life changing.

Its a celebrity secret and supermodel secret and even though I am 5'8 130 lbs, I lost 10lbs of colon bloat in one week, and my eyes, and skin completely were gorgeous by the time I left after a week of complete nutrition, light exercise, food cooking classes and nutritional classes and 4-5 colonics...that is the real true key to detoxing. If you don't get rid of that colon plaque your body doesn't absorb the vitamins in your food and expel toxins quickly enough!
It also cleared up my eczema.

Thanks!
Candice

• Stayed January 2001
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2005

Excellant retreat for detoxing and getting nutrional information. Grounds were beautiful and rooms very nice and clean.
Recommended for people who truly are interested in changing their lifestyles to be more healthier and to rid their bodies of toxins.

• Stayed June 2005